Nikon Z Series Protective Wraps

Real Name
Paul
Interesting topic. In my recent madness with camera system switching, I ended up selling my Oly E-M1ii (bought from @gryphon1911 some years back!) and getting an E-M1iii. Then I decided that it wasn't worth the upgrade, so sold it. I then bought a bargain-price, well-used, E-M1ii again as a stop-gap whilst I sorted my craziness out! The first E-M1ii was well used, but the grip was in great shape. The one I bought had a wrecked grip that the previous owner had tried to glue back on (it wasn't a success!). I bought a replacement grip and self-adhesive tapes (£10 plus postage) and now it looks as good as new!

So what? Well, I'm guessing that the rubber grip material and fixing is pretty similar on the E-M1ii and the Z6/7. Given that, I have a few conclusions/thoughts:

- The way that users handle their cameras clearly has a big bearing (duh!). The shutter count on the two cameras was similar, and in fact the one with the wrecked grip is newer.

- Looking at how the grip rubber is attached, it uses double-sided adhesive tape and the glue on it is pretty good, but it softens with heat. I have a theory that people with hot hands, or who hold the grip tightly, esp in hot weather, will loosen the glue. This will lead to the rubber shifting and stretching and the rest is history.

- Replacing the rubber covers is actually pretty easy (assuming you can get access to the spare parts).

Given all that, I wouldn't personally bother with ugly wraps and protectors. I'd just be careful with handling of the rubber grips and if it does get loose/damaged then be relaxed about fitting some new ones!

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
Having looked at the Alphaguard stuff, it looks like it’s 3M vinyl wrap. I’ve used that on car interiors. It’ll help prevent scuffing, but I’d bet that it will start splitting/peeling at the corners pretty quickly. It also won’t stop the adhesive holding the grip on from softening in heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Having looked at the Alphaguard stuff, it looks like it’s 3M vinyl wrap. I’ve used that on car interiors. It’ll help prevent scuffing, but I’d bet that it will start splitting/peeling at the corners pretty quickly. It also won’t stop the adhesive holding the grip on from softening in heat.
The wrap doesn’t look comfortable to hold, but I’ve seen a few posts of people using them. I do think that my new Z6 has a different feel than the old one, like it’s a smoother rubber compound. At least there’s another option should it start to wear like the old one.

Real Name
John Van Atta
I had the rubber on my Z7 replaced under warranty, and I'm sure the rubber now is different. There was a bad batch on the initial run; it only took a few weeks of use to be chewed up the first time. None of that anymore. My hands haven't changed that much :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom