Nikon Z Series Service Advisory - Root Cause Known?

Well, here goes...

The form on the Nikon web site is up/down to check on affected serial numbers.

I called Nikon, and according to the customer service agent, the site is probably being flooded with inquiries about the VR Service Advisory.

What concerns me even more, is that the agent had stated that Nikon still isn't sure of the 'root-cause' as of yet, so that leads me to believe that we have no confidence with regard to the serial number check (i.e affected or unaffected units)

I've been in the hardware/software business for over 30 years, and if we find a bug in our system and issue a Service Advisory and state empirically that certain software releases are or are not affected, we damn well better know the root cause before we are able to make that statement or issue an SA in the first place.

Without knowing the root cause of the issue, how could Nikon be able to fix/mitigate the issue during production? This does not inspire confidence in Nikon as a company or the quality of its products.

I'm currently sitting on almost $6k worth of new Nikon Z series equipment and am now on the fence as to whether it goes back and I go with a D850 or switch vendors altogether.

Nikon taught me several years ago not to be an early adopter of their products. But I'm thankful for those of you who are. Otherwise it wouldn't do me any good to wait for the bugs to get worked out :)

Here's some more info, not much, but . . . Nikon Z6 and Z7 IBIS Service Advisory - Photography Life

Also, Shun Cheung over at Photo.net writes:

"Based on responses I have read on the web, apparently only a small percentage of the cameras are affected.
And somehow isolated serial numbers are affected, not some consecutive range. For example, I checked the following Z6 serial numbers (and then some). The affected ones are not consecutive.

• 3009719 not
  • 3009720 Affected
  • 3009721 not
  • 3009722 Affected
  • 3009723 not
  • 3009724 not
And there are reports that there are parts hold repair delay. In case you have a Z6 or Z7 that is recalled, I would wait a bit (e.g. a few weeks) and see how the repair goes before sending it in."

Real Name
Andrew
Well, here goes...

The form on the Nikon web site is up/down to check on affected serial numbers.

I called Nikon, and according to the customer service agent, the site is probably being flooded with inquiries about the VR Service Advisory.

What concerns me even more, is that the agent had stated that Nikon still isn't sure of the 'root-cause' as of yet, so that leads me to believe that we have no confidence with regard to the serial number check (i.e affected or unaffected units)

I've been in the hardware/software business for over 30 years, and if we find a bug in our system and issue a Service Advisory and state empirically that certain software releases are or are not affected, we damn well better know the root cause before we are able to make that statement or issue an SA in the first place.

Without knowing the root cause of the issue, how could Nikon be able to fix/mitigate the issue during production? This does not inspire confidence in Nikon as a company or the quality of its products.

I'm currently sitting on almost $6k worth of new Nikon Z series equipment and am now on the fence as to whether it goes back and I go with a D850 or switch vendors altogether.
Most companies are not going to be 100% transparent on an issue like this. I also find that front line agents and sales people tend to know less than I do about these things.

I believe they are left in the dark intentionally to prevent sensitive information from being leaked.

If Nikon issued a recall, their engineers know what and why and are prepared to have it fixed.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
Most companies are not going to be 100% transparent on an issue like this. I also find that front line agents and sales people tend to know less than I do about these things.

I believe they are left in the dark intentionally to prevent sentience information from being leaked.
I agree completely with this. Applies to all manufacturers, from Boeing to Nikon.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom