Nikon z5 question

Two days ago my new Z5 arrived. Sold my D750 and D7500 to go mirrorless.
I'm dealing with the menu and different settings and I'm starting to find my way around.
But I have a question about the timer/release mode dial at the backside of the camera. When I push it nothing happens. I first have to push the information button and only then the timer/release mode button when pushed works and shows me the different possible settings.
Why do I have to push the information button first? Why does this timer/release mode button not work in its own? Have I disabled something?
Probably a very stupid question, but I can't find the answer. Thank you 😉

Don't thank me until you buy his Guide and find that, indeed, it actually answers your question. If you buy it and it doesn't answer your question, you should instead blame me. :ROFLMAO:
I don't think I would blame you if my 'problem' is not mentioned in the guide... but you surely would own me a pint of beer if we would ever meet 😂

I have a Z6 not Z5. On my Z6 the timer/release mode button brings up a menu on either the LCD or EVF depending on which is active. Are you in movie mode by chance? I don't have timer/release mode in my I-menu. Maybe you could try removing it from there and see if the button then works.

I have a Z6 not Z5. On my Z6 the timer/release mode button brings up a menu on either the LCD or EVF depending on which is active. Are you in movie mode by chance? I don't have timer/release mode in my I-menu. Maybe you could try removing it from there and see if the button then works
Hi Terri, thanks for your advice. I'm not in movie mode. I only shoot stills and never use video. One of the reasons why I bought the Z5. When I put the camera in movie mode the timer/ release mode button does function and when I switch it back to stills it doesn't function anymore. Very strange.I also removed this option from my I-menu but it didn't change a thing...button still doesn't function.

Hi Terri, thanks for your advice. I'm not in movie mode. I only shoot stills and never use video. One of the reasons why I bought the Z5. When I put the camera in movie mode the timer/ release mode button does function and when I switch it back to stills it doesn't function anymore. Very strange.I also removed this option from my I-menu but it didn't change a thing...button still doesn't function.
I’ll keep thinking.....There must be a setting somewhere. I couldn’t find a menu item on my Z6 to map the button to a different function.

I just now looked up the corresponding information in Thom Hogan's Guide for the Z6 and found nothing helpful. I also looked up the pertinent information in the Z5 manual produced by Nikon and found no love. So, I'm actually wondering if something is wrong with your camera. Consider contacting Nikon's repair facility and explain that the camera is under warranty. They might be aware of a typical "gotcha" for this situation that uncovers the cause of this issue if indeed the camera is working properly.

I’ll keep thinking.....There must be a setting somewhere. I couldn’t find a menu item on my Z6 to map the button to a different function.
We share the same thoughts. Indeed... there must be a setting somewhere. And just like on your Z6 I can't remap this function to another button. It's important for me as I use bracketing a lot. I saved bracketing on U3 but you can't save the release mode (continu H) so need this button to function 😃😃

I just now looked up the corresponding information in Thom Hogan's Guide for the Z6 and found nothing helpful. I also looked up the pertinent information in the Z5 manual produced by Nikon and found no love. So, I'm actually wondering if something is wrong with your camera. Consider contacting Nikon's repair facility and explain that the camera is under warranty. They might be aware of a typical "gotcha" for this situation that uncovers the cause of this issue if indeed the camera is working properly.
I'll contact them... the idea that something is wrong crossed my mind. It wouldn't make me happy though...

If it is a simple setting they will probably be able to help you over the phone.
I just telephoned Nikon Belgium and a very friendly lady tried to help me out. She was surprised and at first didn't have an answer. She did some research but found nothing that could shed some light.
After a few minutes she asked me: "When you look through the viewfinder and push this button...is something happening?" And yes...there it was...the button functioned. As I put the camera on 'viewfinder priority' it is only shown into the viewfinder, not on the monitor. The timer/release mode button is only shown on the monitor when the monitor is activated through the mode selection of the EVF/monitor. Seems logical you might think but all the other buttons function and are shown on the monitor no matter what mode you are in. But not the time/release mode button.

Mystery solved...I have peace of mind now. Thank you! 😇

As I put the camera on 'viewfinder priority' it is only shown into the viewfinder, not on the monitor.

My Z6's Limit monitor mode selection is configured with the following parameters enabled (and the other parameter not enabled):
  • Automatic display switch
  • Monitor only
  • Prioritize viewfinder
I no longer remember how that combination is intended to affect the various displays but it might be helpful for you to know that my camera displays the Release mode on the rear LCD, the top LCD and in the viewfinder.

I just telephoned Nikon Belgium and a very friendly lady tried to help me out. She was surprised and at first didn't have an answer. She did some research but found nothing that could shed some light.
After a few minutes she asked me: "When you look through the viewfinder and push this button...is something happening?" And yes...there it was...the button functioned. As I put the camera on 'viewfinder priority' it is only shown into the viewfinder, not on the monitor. The timer/release mode button is only shown on the monitor when the monitor is activated through the mode selection of the EVF/monitor. Seems logical you might think but all the other buttons function and are shown on the monitor no matter what mode you are in. But not the time/release mode button.

Mystery solved...I have peace of mind now. Thank you! 😇
That's good to know!! So glad your mystery is solved!!

My Z6's Limit monitor mode selection is configured with the following parameters enabled (and the other parameter not enabled):
  • Automatic display switch
  • Monitor only
  • Prioritize viewfinder
I no longer remember how that combination is intended to affect the various displays but it might be helpful for you to know that my camera displays the Release mode on the rear LCD, the top LCD and in the viewfinder.
Thanks a lot, Mike. Much appreciated. I'll have a look at your settings. I don't use the monitor that much... also want to save the batteries.

That's good to know!! So glad your mystery is solved!!
Thank you! 😉 I see that you live in Idaho. I was there 20 years ago coming from Yellowstone and on our way to Glacier National Park and further into Canada. This northwest corner of the USA is really beautiful.

Thank you! 😉 I see that you live in Idaho. I was there 20 years ago coming from Yellowstone and on our way to Glacier National Park and further into Canada. This northwest corner of the USA is really beautiful.
One more greeting from Idaho—far north. I was in Belgium for a couple fo weeks in October 2018, and loved every minute of our trip. Met up with Bart for part of a day. The history and culture you offer is second to none!

One more greeting from Idaho—far north. I was in Belgium for a couple fo weeks in October 2018, and loved every minute of our trip. Met up with Bart for part of a day. The history and culture you offer is second to none!
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in our tiny country. It's different from Idaho I guess...😉

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom