Nikon Z50 automatically resets shutter speed

I have set my Z50 to manual mode. I set the camera to 1/200 shutter f3.5 and ISO 400. I click the button to take a picture. Immediately after taking the picture Z50 resets my shutter speed to 1/400 on its own without me changing it. I don't understand this behavior because in manual mode I am fully in control of the shutter right? Here is a 10 second video to show this problem

you will that at 8 seconds mark the camera automatically changes the shutter speed to 1/400. Why is it doing that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks @MNglass yes that was the issue. Curiously even though the auto bracketing was ON and it was set to take 3 pictures. I didn't see 3 pictures for every expsoure on the SD card. So while auto bracketing was changing the settings it was not really taking multiple pictures.

Thanks @MNglass yes that was the issue. Curiously even though the auto bracketing was ON and it was set to take 3 pictures. I didn't see 3 pictures for every expsoure on the SD card. So while auto bracketing was changing the settings it was not really taking multiple pictures.
Probably because you are in single frame release mode - if you have it set for a bracket of 3 you have to press the shutter 3 times for each exposure in the bracket.

If you have it set in continuous mode and hold down the shutter, it will take all three (or whatever you have it set for) exposures then pause. The key is that you have to hold down the shutter AND be in continuous mode.

I once had it set and forgot and couldn't figure out why my exposure changed each time I took a shot. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you so much. You have fully explained the issue.

Probably because you are in single frame release mode - if you have it set for a bracket of 3 you have to press the shutter 3 times for each exposure in the bracket.

If you have it set in continuous mode and hold down the shutter, it will take all three (or whatever you have it set for) exposures then pause. The key is that you have to hold down the shutter AND be in continuous mode.

I once had it set and forgot and couldn't figure out why my exposure changed each time I took a shot. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom