Nikon Z50 mirrorless APS-C camera and two lenses

• Nikon Z50: APS-C mirrorless camera, 20MP, 3" pivoted LCD, EVF, 11 fps
  • Z-Nikkor 16-55mm f/3.5-6.3 small lightweight collapsible kit DX lens
  • Z-Nikkor 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 small lightweight collapsible DX lens
With those aperture ranges that will probably be a very small and lightweight kit.

Real Name
David
I'm still hopeful that there could be a popup evf on these. If there is and they've managed to make the Z 16-55 / Z 50-250 smaller than the DX 18-55 / DX 50-200 than they have a kit smaller than D5600 (though the body would probably be a little wider). Micro 4/3 would still offer smaller options, but this would be right there with Sony and Fuji.

If it doesn't have the EVF built in or come bundled with an add on than I think it will be another "why do the Z series only have one card", "looks great but one card????" on all the review sites seeing the negative and missing any positive.

• Nikon Z50: APS-C mirrorless camera, 20MP, 3" pivoted LCD, EVF, 11 fps
  • Z-Nikkor 16-55mm f/3.5-6.3 small lightweight collapsible kit DX lens
  • Z-Nikkor 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 small lightweight collapsible DX lens
With those aperture ranges that will probably be a very small and lightweight kit.
F/3.5 - 6.3 for a 16-55 seems way slow. F3.5-5.6 for the current 18-55 even seemed slow to me.

I'm still hopeful that there could be a popup evf on these. If there is and they've managed to make the Z 16-55 / Z 50-250 smaller than the DX 18-55 / DX 50-200 than they have a kit smaller than D5600 (though the body would probably be a little wider). Micro 4/3 would still offer smaller options, but this would be right there with Sony and Fuji.

If it doesn't have the EVF built in or come bundled with an add on than I think it will be another "why do the Z series only have one card", "looks great but one card????" on all the review sites seeing the negative and missing any positive.

Yeah, Nikon would be foolish to supply a 50-250mm telephoto lens without an appropriate EVF. If you look at the leaked mock-up photos of the camera, to the right of the hot shoe mount looks to be a section that can house a pop-up flash, it also has a lever that goes behind it. So hopefully Nikon has found a way to supply an EVF and pop-up flash at the same time.

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/09/20/...-two-different-aps-c-mirrorless-cameras.aspx/

If Nikon pulls this off, they'll one-up Canon that's still supporting the Canon M which uses an entirely different mount. This is the strategy Nikon should of done initially instead of releasing the Nikon 1. Oh well, better late than never!

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
This is an odd one.

Rumored: 20 mp, evf, 11fps, called a Z50 (?) . If it wheren't for the Z50 name, I would have guessed it was a D500 ml replacement, but with those lenses, it does sound like a D50 like positioned low end camera with entry level kit lenses. However this will be a very small package, and those two small lenses will make a real light travel package, with a 24mm up to 375mm effective reach and with the 20 mp will be decent in low light, compared to Canons M6 II with 32 MP. I think for the intended audience, a 20 mp sensor will look inferior compared to 24 and 32mp of the competitors. . If this low end I bet there will be quite some limitations to the 11fps (fixed AF and AE, and not much buffer)

I think this is the new D3500-D5500 class of camera for christmas sales, and if the Nikon rumors are true there will be another APC Z camera body coming as well a little higher end (Z7500 or Z750?).

Price? USD $999 with kit lens?

Would I buy one if this is what it is? No.

f this would be a D500 replacement, I'd be first in line, if the Z50 is what I'm guessing my 2 year old Canon M5, at 24mp with 7 fps, 15-45mm etc will do the same job.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Ok fair enough I'm not the intended target, now will this be enough for a consumer to lift their eyes from their cell phone cameras, and really want this? Well maybe for the kit tele lens, but that is the word, maybe....

Real Name
Ian
It's meant as a gateway to the Z system, much like what Sony has for their E system. It's an attempt to grow the Z user-base by offering a lower-priced entry point.

The problem is that the majority of that market has been eroded by your smartphone users who feel that those cameras are "good enough" for what they plan to take photos of. The ease and convenience of always having a camera and editing platform in your pocket outweighs any marginal gains made by having a dedicated camera for those users.

IMO, Nikon would've been better off going to Canon route and introducing a bare-bones FF camera. Strip it down, simplify it, and sell it for cheap. People love the "full frame allure", and many would take a stripped down FF camera over a beefed-up APS-C camera at the same price point.

Real Name
John M.
Ouch. f6.3? Has anyone at Nikon looked at the specs/performance of the newly released phone cameras? Yeah, I know this is APS-C, but I fear this is destined for the CoolPix A and CX graveyard. Bigly sad (and I am a Nikon fanboy).

Ouch. f6.3? Has anyone at Nikon looked at the specs/performance of the newly released phone cameras? Yeah, I know this is APS-C, but I fear this is destined for the CoolPix A and CX graveyard. Bigly sad (and I am a Nikon fanboy).

Presumably you can use any Z-mount lens on this camera, as well as F-mount through the FTZ adapter. The camera is not crippled by the "kit" lenses.

Real Name
Steve
In the patent drawing, there are two pop-up areas. The central one will be a flash, the one on the end shows its switch on the side very similar to the EVF on the Sony RX100 VI. If you've never tried that tiny EVF, it works really well, has all the info you'd need and is plenty sharp! The current Sony version self-collapses by pushing directly down. The original had to be folded in and that wasn't the most elegant solution, but now it works well. I hope they use something similar to Sony's current collapsable EVF.

I just hope the newer, cheaper lenses still have a metal mount...

Last edited:
Real Name
David
Lenses with f/6.3 apertures? Come on, get real. I see Canon are doing that with their entry-level M-series cameras.
Yes Canon is doing the same with their entry level kits lenses. So is Sony and Fuji's consumer telephoto goes to f/6.7. While we would all love f/2 zooms the 300mm the size of a 12oz can of Campbell's soup it's just not going to happen.

Why is this happening now? Because cameras can now AF at higher apertures. It's only been 5-6 years (?) that Nikon has stated they will AF past f/5.6. If it makes the lenses smaller, if the optics are reasonable, than the average consumers probably won't care if they can get a SMALL kit lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom