Nikon Z6 firmware bug?

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Right now, I don't know. I've been an NPS member since 1990, and a Nikon shooter for a number of years before that. However, that should give you an idea of how frustrated I am with Nikon over this stupid issue.
I was thinking about the NPS / support response to send in your 600 II for service. What if there is firmware in the lens that can be updated by Nikon that addresses your FTZ/Z issue?

I was thinking about the NPS / support response to send in your 600 II for service. What if there is firmware in the lens that can be updated by Nikon that addresses your FTZ/Z issue?
For better or worse, there really is no firmware to be updated in any of the lenses. The CPU/chip contained in most modern Nikkors provides relatively simple information to the camera, but with the chip, it allows some of the cameras to operate in P mode, etc. I had looked into the possibility of adding a CPU/chip to a 400/3.5 (one of my favorite lenses). Although the process for chipping an older lens is not terribly complicated (see Chipping a Nikkor - A Walk-through), I never did try it.

Given that all of the D-bodies I can put my hands on work with the lens, that means the lens is communicating what it needs to the cameras (perhaps most importantly, correctly communicating the minimum aperture so that the camera knows when the lens is set to avoid the fEE error). I've also looked at the EXIF information being stored, and all of that is consistent (showing proper focal length, maximum aperture, etc.).

It is far more likely that someone screwed up when programming the Z6. For instance, if the Z6 has an error in its lens database, and believes that my 600 has a minimum aperture of 32 instead of 22, then when the lens is set to f/22, the camera is going to generate an fEE error. All it took was one programmer to screw up one digit (a 3 instead of a 2), and a lack of older lenses like mine on hand to test, and Nikon ends up rolling out a firmware with an error that renders an otherwise compatible lens incompatible.

As far as I am aware, Nikon only made something like 2,215 of the 600/4 AFS II lenses. Thus, it's not like there are a lot of these lying around for Nikon to use when testing. One of the Nikon reps I spoke with yesterday admitted that part of their problem was that they didn't have one of these around for testing. Ultimately, that's what really annoyed me about the NPS rep's contradictory and absurd statements (the lens is not serviceable so send it to us for service). If the company doesn't have the good sense to be honest with its customers, then why would anyone want to do business with it?

On the other hand, if the company values its loyal customers, then perhaps the better approach is to be honest about what they can and can't test, to escalate the issue in the company as quickly as possible, and to make it clear that they are going to make things right no matter what it takes. Sadly, that's not the message that Nikon communicated to me.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom