1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon Z6 - Image & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Nikon Z Mirrorless Forum' started by ijm5012, Nov 19, 2018.

1. As more and more people receive their Z6's, people will be posting pictures taken with their new cameras. I'm creating this thread to act as a location where people can post their pictures taken with the Z6, so that those who may be interested in seeing the results of the camera can come to a single thread to view those images.

I look forward to seeing what people capture with their new cameras!

IJM13097.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 3
  2. A few shots from this weekend with either the 24-70 S or the 70-200 VR II. Nothing terribly special, just testing out the camera and seeing how it performs.

IZ6_0264.jpg

IZ6_0299.jpg

IZ6_0318.jpg

IZ6_0307.jpg

IZ6_0311.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  3. Finally got out to shoot the Z6. Columbus Zoo was the destination. Got some birding in. Indoor, high ISO, so take that into consideration. I wanted to see what the JPG could do. So I shot Neutral picture control, then massaged in Lightroom. Most images shot single frame, a few I messed with CH extended just to see. AF was single point, AF-S.

To say that I am happy would be an understatement with just this. Used the Nikon 70-300/4.5-5.6E AF-P VR+FTZ adapter. I did have it hunt once or twice, but these were extreme back lit situations or I was trying to shoot through some leaves to get to the birds. Honestly, very similar conditions where a DSLR would have some struggles as well. most of the time it as spot on in the AF department.

Images below to let you see for yourself.

My feeling at this point is what I had hoped for: All the benefits of my Olympus m43 gear (no mirror, smaller, lighter, fast AF-S, tack sharpness even wide open, EVF, IBIS) with all the benefits of a Nikon DSLR.
    We'll see how I feel about it after I get some more shooting in and get a chance to work out the AF-C options and see if I can make it sing!

For those curious about the optical performance of the 70-300 @ 300....plenty of images below shot at the extreme. Also, check out the ISO on a lot of these. 8000 - 18,000. I used to be afraid of shooting past ISO 6400. Since getting the D500, I've no problem shooting it to ISO 12,800....this Z6...yeah...it's pretty good, or as I used to say back in the day...it's pretty tasty!

To speed up AF point movement, I used the joystick and set the menu to do every other focus point. Loved the speed it gave me and I had to do very little "focus and recompose" that way.

Anyway, enjoy!

11-21-2018_Z6_colzoo_DSC_0025.jpg
    11-21-2018_Z6_colzoo_DSC_0049.jpg
    11-21-2018_Z6_colzoo_DSC_0057.jpg
    11-21-2018_Z6_colzoo_DSC_0086.jpg
    11-21-2018_Z6_colzoo_DSC_0109.jpg
    11-21-2018_Z6_colzoo_DSC_0110.jpg

I just love to convert my silverback gorilla images to monochrome. So here, below is my usual. :D  Also, shot through dirty, thick plexiglass.
    11-21-2018_Z6_colzoo_DSC_0114-Edit.jpg

Given that a lot of the zoo images I needed to shoot through glass, I took this one @ 300mm no glass. The detail in the wires, is super.
    11-21-2018_Z6_colzoo_DSC_0128.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Oh, and here is my obligatory camera shot. Not as good as Ian's, though...but you get the idea!
    IMG_20181121_174719.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nice blades!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Great images with the 70-300 FP. Nikon did a nice job on this lens. Its lite, small, and the IQ is great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Got a little street walking in with the 24-70/4S today. I goofed a bit and wanted to shoot RAW+jpg, but only had it set to RAW. I REALLY DO NOT LIKE THE NIKON SOFTWARE, but it was all I had that will read the Z6 RAWs at the moment.

Part 1
    DSC_0134_00001.jpg
    DSC_0136_00003.jpg
    DSC_0139_00006.jpg
    DSC_0143_00010.jpg
    DSC_0151_00016.jpg
    DSC_0153_00018.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Part 2
    DSC_0155_00020.jpg
    DSC_0157_00022.jpg
    DSC_0158_00023.jpg
    DSC_0159_00024.jpg
    DSC_0161_00026.jpg
    DSC_0175_00040.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. SOOC...(RAW)
    Converted to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter (Beta)
    PSE export to JPG
    Nikon SB-80DX Flash...

DSC_0011.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. Alright, I'm baffled. I've downloaded DNG Converter 11.1 (beta) (link here), which says support for Z6. Everything installs fine, but when I go to convert my Z6 files, it says "The source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files".

The XQD cars has NEF and JPG files from my Z6 on it, and nothing else.

11. Hmmmm....
    Did you try it without the JPG files in the folder?

12. Doh! Idiot operator. I had a parent folder selected and not the child folder, and didn't select the check box to "include children folders". Got them all converted. Thanks for letting me know about 11.1 beta for the RAW files!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wednesday night with some friends. Z6 + Sigma 35 ART. Converted to DNG's and edited in LR6.

Wednesday Night-2.jpg
    Wednesday Night-5.jpg
    Wednesday Night-6.jpg
    Wednesday Night-4.jpg
    Wednesday Night-3.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. Skipped the Black Friday madness and went out with the wife for a little hiking and street shooting. The Z6 is not letting me down! The 24-70 is quick fast and sharp.

All JPG that were further processed in Lightroom. I'm still holding out to shoot RAW until my full blown Lightroom supports Z6.

Camera was sitting on the table, I angled it upward and activated the shutter from the rear touchscreen for this shot.
    11-23-2018_Z6_ys_street_DSC_0218-Edit.jpg
    11-23-2018_Z6_ys_street_DSC_0228.jpg
    11-23-2018_Z6_ys_street_DSC_0231.jpg
    11-23-2018_Z6_ys_street_DSC_0235.jpg
    11-23-2018_Z6_ys_street_DSC_0244.jpg
    11-23-2018_Z6_ys_street_DSC_0246.jpg
    11-23-2018_Z6_ys_street_DSC_0252.jpg

Got this one while walking across the street. Amazing how well the IBIS works. I don't feel it is Olympus good but good enough.
    11-23-2018_Z6_ys_street_DSC_0258.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  15. A few more. I'm taking advantage of the good weather before it gets nasty this week.

Mix of Nikon 24-70/4S Z-Mount pics and I used the FTZ and Nikon 135mm f/3.5 AIS lens. Manual focus on this camera is as easy to use as on the Olympus cameras. Such ease in using the focus peaking.

From here to the girl on the scooter image - Nikon 24-70/4S Z-Mount lens
    11-25-2018_Z6_cbus_street_DSC_0270.jpg
    11-25-2018_Z6_cbus_street_DSC_0297.jpg
    11-25-2018_Z6_cbus_street_DSC_0307.jpg
    11-25-2018_Z6_cbus_street_DSC_0317.jpg
    11-25-2018_Z6_cbus_street_DSC_0338.jpg

From here down, Nikon 135mm f/3.5 AIS F-Mount lens. Usually shot between f/3.5 and f/8.
    11-25-2018_Z6_cbus_street_DSC_0360.jpg
    11-25-2018_Z6_cbus_street_DSC_0364.jpg
    11-25-2018_Z6_cbus_street_DSC_0369.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I have a Z6 on the way. Question for those using F lenses.

If you had to do AF fine tuning to a lens on a DSLR (say a +4) do you need to do it on a mirrorless that uses PDAF? I read that AF fine tuning is in the options but when I shot m4/3 mirrorless it wasn't needed.

18. If you shot either of the E-M1 bodies, then AFFT was in the menus. If you shot any other cameras it wasn't, because they are all CDAF.

I haven't done extensive testing yet with my Z6 and 70-200, but from the shots I've taken with it it certainly seemed sharp. I'm expecting a 35/1.8 and 58/1.4 later this week, so I'll have a few different lenses to test it out on.

19. In theory fine tuning in not needed on a mirrorless body because the focus is calculated from the image directly on the sensor.

With a DSLR, the image focus is calculated on a separate sensor via the reflected image from the mirror. When the shot is taken, the mirror flips up and the image is projected on the image sensor and scanned.

AF fine tuning compensates for any minor calibration distance differences between the focus sensor and the image sensor.

With the mirrorless, the focus and image sensor are the same thing, so no calibration is needed. I read elsewhere that the fine tuning function was left in there for those that purposely want a lens to front or back focus. Hummm..

20. I had M4/3 Panasonics and they were always spot on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.