Nikon Z6 - Image & Discussion Thread

Real Name
Andrew
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andrew
1 - DxO Filmpack5 - Kodak TMAX 400

6 - DxO Filmpack5 - Agfa Scala 200x w/ Red Filter

7 - DxO Filmpack5 - Fuji Velvia 100

8 - DxO Filmpack5 - Agfa APX 100

10 - Agfa Scala 200x

Real Name
Andrew
Still trying to decide about the Nikon Z24-200....this outing gave me pause on whether or not to part with it....
While the Z 6 is no D500...I thought it did admirably well tracking the all white dog while running about and playing.

Most were using the AUTO tracking option. I hardly ever use it, but it seemed to work right most of the time. Makes me wonder if the claims are true that the Z 6 Mark II is even, better - then Nikon is figuring out this on sensor PDAF stuff rather quickly, which is great news.

But really...about the dog...creeping up on 5 months old now....this dog, Nova, loves going to the dog park! She loves being social with all the other dogs, though she does have some favorites.

Still trying to decide about the Nikon Z24-200....this outing gave me pause on whether or not to part with it....
While the Z 6 is no D500...I thought it did admirably well tracking the all white dog while running about and playing.

Most were using the AUTO tracking option. I hardly ever use it, but it seemed to work right most of the time. Makes me wonder if the claims are true that the Z 6 Mark II is even, better - then Nikon is figuring out this on sensor PDAF stuff rather quickly, which is great news.

But really...about the dog...creeping up on 5 months old now....this dog, Nova, loves going to the dog park! She loves being social with all the other dogs, though she does have some favorites.

View attachment 1673533

View attachment 1673534

View attachment 1673535

View attachment 1673536

View attachment 1673537

View attachment 1673538

View attachment 1673539

View attachment 1673540

View attachment 1673541

View attachment 1673542
Are you leaning towards keeping the 24-200mm? If you still have your Olympus bodies, have you considered the 12-100mm f/4 Pro? That's the one lens I wish I bought when I still had my M43 kit. I'm not sure if I could juggle 3 systems, it's already complex enough shooting my Sony and Nikon kit!

Real Name
Randy

Real Name
Randy

Real Name
Andrew
Are you leaning towards keeping the 24-200mm? If you still have your Olympus bodies, have you considered the 12-100mm f/4 Pro? That's the one lens I wish I bought when I still had my M43 kit. I'm not sure if I could juggle 3 systems, it's already complex enough shooting my Sony and Nikon kit!
I still think the 24-70/4 is better....so as much as the 24-200 impressed me on the last outing, I'm still inclined at the moment to lean toward selling it off and getting more Nikon Z stuff with it. Perhaps another body or banking the funds for a future Z lens.

I do still have some Oly stuff, but nothing like the past and more Fuji kit now.

Real Name
Randy

View attachment 1673533

View attachment 1673534

View attachment 1673535

View attachment 1673536

View attachment 1673537

View attachment 1673538

View attachment 1673539

View attachment 1673540

View attachment 1673541

View attachment 1673542
Those look good

I just read that the MB-N10 battery pack still works with the Z6/Z7 II bodies. I picked up a used MB-N10 battery pack for my Z5 and prices aren't too bad hovering around $130+ USD on the used market. The MB-N11 is retailing at just under $400 USD and won't come out until December. As long as I get extra juice, I can fudge around not having a vertical shutter button with the MB-N10. I'm actually impressed by the build quality as well. It's mostly all-metal and utilizes dual locking wheels. There's also a battery indicator button and you can charge it direct using USB type-C.

I'm still waiting on my FTZ adapter and I also have a Megadap MTZ11 AF adapter (for manual lenses) on the way. I think I'll be skipping the Z6/Z7 mk.I mainly because of the single card slot and inability to use a power bank while the camera is ON. The Z5 seems to check all my boxes in terms of functionality except for the anemic 4.5 fps, but I'll keep one of my D750 around for faster speeds. One thing that I appreciate with the Z5 is the quick startup time. It's about a half second faster than my Sony A9 and A7III. The touch screen is also very good and similar to Olympus and Panasonic touch screens. Sony's touch screen tech is just terrible. The Z5 despite being UHS-II compatible, it appears fast UHS-I cards don't tax the buffer whatsoever! I think I can shoot continuous 12-bit compressed raws with no buffering. You can find fast UHS-I cards for dirt cheap which is nice. I'll post photos soon!

So how do you find using the Megadap? From the video's I've seen, the focus is ponderous though I understand that you can speed it up by sort of zone focussing. But it is still very cool that you can autofocus manual focus lenses.
I've been using the Techart Pro adapter for Sony that does the same thing for a few years now. In all honesty I don't like actually manual focusing, but I do like the glass in many older manual focus lenses since they tend to have more unique characteristics.

In regards to the Megadap AF adapter, it's a notch slower than the Techart adapter for Sony, but the focus seems a bit more sure of itself once it attains focus confirmation. Don't expect to shoot any action, but I think the AF speed is good enough for portrait and perhaps street photography. I could also see using it in a work setting, but more as a 2nd or 3rd camera. I've been selective with my MF glass and tend to choose lenses with short focus barrels so I can zone focus quickly. This helps with the AF on these AF adapters since I can nudge it to focus quicker.

The build quality is quite good with a thicker barrel, better suited for adapting other mounts besides Leica-M mount. In fact I read it might not fit with some M-mount lenses due to barrel size issues or focus tab placement. One of the perks I discovered with this adapter though, is that it allow focus confirmation with all manual focus lenses when set to MF! You can also update firmware directly to the adapter by attaching it to a USB cord and it will boot up as a drive on your computer. The USB port is exposed, but I just put gaffer tape over it, when not in use for better weather protection.

My overall impression is that it's worthwhile to have in the kit and it greatly expands the flexibility of the Z mount beyond just native Z and F-mount lenses. Highly recommended for lens aficionados or people who can't afford the latest Nikon S lenses!

Last edited:
Thanks for the note. I’ve been looking at the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 and may consider this for the VM mount though the VE mount with the Techart is another idea. I’d love to try the voigt Lanthar 65 APO at some point as well.

Thanks for the note. I’ve been looking at the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 and may consider this for the VM mount though the VE mount with the Techart is another idea. I’d love to try the voigt Lanthar 65 APO at some point as well.
I regret selling my Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 SL-II and 40mm f/1.4 MC Nokton. Nikon Z bodies have a thinner sensor stack, making it more ideal for M-mount glass for better corner performance.

Real Name
Andrew
A few from a portrait shoot today for friends. Mixture of Z6 and Z35/1.8, Z50/1.8 and adapted f-mount 85mm f/1.8.
Natural lighting, no reflectors or strobes.

Ran them through Lightroom and Portrait Pro 18. No face sculpting, only some image warmth and slight blemish removal and skin tone even.

Eye AF was spot on with all three lenses. I'm one of the ones that used to think that it was a bit of a gimmick. However, knowing how well eye AF works on this camera, I have reaped the benefits. Makes composing so much easier and the shoots quicker for the models. I'm a convert! :)

11-14-2020_peters_NZ6_8437_pp by Andrew Livelsberger, on Flickr

11-14-2020_peters_NZ6_8597_pp by Andrew Livelsberger, on Flickr

11-14-2020_peters_NZ6_8574_pp by Andrew Livelsberger, on Flickr

11-14-2020_peters_NZ6_8556_pp by Andrew Livelsberger, on Flickr

11-14-2020_peters_NZ6_8472_pp by Andrew Livelsberger, on Flickr

11-14-2020_peters_NZ6_8433_pp by Andrew Livelsberger, on Flickr

11-14-2020_peters_NZ6_8426_pp by Andrew Livelsberger, on Flickr

11-14-2020_peters_NZ6_8367_pp by Andrew Livelsberger, on Flickr

11-14-2020_peters_NZ6_8270_pp by Andrew Livelsberger, on Flickr

Am I missing anything in regards to settings? Nikon doesn't allow for the directional thumb pad (big pad with OK button, not small d-pad/joystick) on the Z bodies to be programmable? I feel like there is more menu diving on my Z5 versus Sony bodies. With Sony they have a scroll wheel integrated into the big thumb pad and each direction (up/down/left/right) is also programmable. I feel like Nikon could free up the big thumb pad for other operations, now that they have included the small d-pad/joystick.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom