Nikon Z6 - Image & Discussion Thread

Real Name
Andrew
I think the Z platform will have a hard time acquiring focus when the subject is never still to get that first focus lock-in. Once it gets a focus lock-in, it might be able to track ok with AF-C. I think getting that first lock-in will be your challenge with toddlers. You will need to use the dynamic AF area with AF-C to even get a possibility of acquiring focus.

Absolutely disagree with this. I've shot a 4 day sports festival, all different kinds of sports with both native z-mount lenses as well as adapted f-mount lenses and initial AF acquisition was never an issue. The Z6 AF just as well as the D750 ever did, but with the added benefit of me not having to worry about lenses being out of tune and having to AF fine tune them.

The biggest hurdle that people need to learn is that the AF system on the Z's are not named the same as what existing Nikon DSLR users are used to. I was initially frustrated with the AF system at first. Once you deep dive into it and actually test them out, you'll find that there are adequate modes to track just about anything. They are NOT D5/D500 level AF systems, but I prayed Nikon would at least give us D700 or better AF and I feel they have delivered on this.

For tracking, I find that I have my most success using Dynamic Area AF or using the Wide-S focus box.

Have you tried using the touch screen for AF target selection and shutter release yet? It allows you to frame the composition and quickly modify the AF point in a very intuitive way.

I think the Z platform will have a hard time acquiring focus when the subject is never still to get that first focus lock-in. Once it gets a focus lock-in, it might be able to track ok with AF-C. I think getting that first lock-in will be your challenge with toddlers. You will need to use the dynamic AF area with AF-C to even get a possibility of acquiring focus.

I used Dynamic AF + C-AF this past weekend shooting college track & field, and the Z6 had zero issues focusing on the sprinters running full-bore straight at me. If the Z6 can manage to shoot college-level T&F, it should be able to handle 3 year olds. You just need to ensure that you have the AF set up appropriately (blocked AF shot response = 1, AF-C, Dynamic AF, BBAF, and a sufficient shutter speed).

Absolutely disagree with this. I've shot a 4 day sports festival, all different kinds of sports with both native z-mount lenses as well as adapted f-mount lenses and initial AF acquisition was never an issue. The Z6 AF just as well as the D750 ever did, but with the added benefit of me not having to worry about lenses being out of tune and having to AF fine tune them.

The biggest hurdle that people need to learn is that the AF system on the Z's are not named the same as what existing Nikon DSLR users are used to. I was initially frustrated with the AF system at first. Once you deep dive into it and actually test them out, you'll find that there are adequate modes to track just about anything. They are NOT D5/D500 level AF systems, but I prayed Nikon would at least give us D700 or better AF and I feel they have delivered on this.

For tracking, I find that I have my most success using Dynamic Area AF or using the Wide-S focus box.

I am so grateful to you all for your input. I used Dynamic Mode with AF-C, backbutton af, AF shot response set at 1, manual mode aperture at 4,SS at 1/250 with auto ISO and results were great! I have never used dynamic mode before! I will use it again.

Real Name
Ian
58mm with a B+W CPL filter from today. All shot at f/1.4

IZ6_6902-Exposure.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
IZ6_6931-Exposure.jpg
IZ6_6916-Exposure.jpg

_DSC1612.jpg
I can handhold at 1/6 second and get a sharp shot. It's windy here tonight. The in body image stabilization is really great on this camera.

I just got back in the Nikon camp after a long sojourn with Sony's A7, A7ii, and A7iii. It wasn't totally by choice as I had my entire Sony A7iii and AF lens kit stolen. I had mostly been shooting F-mount and M-mount glass on the Sony cameras until I built up an AF kit, and at least those lenses remained at home. So I decided to take the opportunity to develop 2 parallel kits. I've been using a Leica M10 for all of my manual focus enjoyment with my rangefinder lenses I'd accumulated over the years. And I decided to give Nikon a chance again when I need AF.

I have to say, Nikon has really delivered the camera platform I was hoping Sony would evolve towards. No doubt that at this point in time, Sony has a much more fleshed out native lens selection for E-mount, and its AF system is top notch for mirrorless on the 3rd generation bodies and particularly the A9. However, I see a bright future for Nikon. The larger diameter lens mount allowed them to make a compact, lightweight, and optically excellent (with a bit of cooked in software help) 24-70/4 lens. Sony still has not done this. Only f/2.8 big zooms or the underperforming and overpriced Zeiss 24-70/4. Nikon also came out of the gate with excellent 35mm and 50mm f/1.8 lenses. Light, bright enough, compact enough, perfectly sized for the system. Sony does have the excellent 55/1.8, but still no 35/2 native lens, only the 40/2 Batis.

I've read some complaints about the FTZ adapter. I understand it would have been nice to have more complete support for non-chipped AI and AI-S lenses, as well as AF for the AF-D screw-driven lenses. But the adapter is big enough as is, in fact I wish they'd have been able to pull it off without the little tripod mount. But let me tell you, as a recovering "F-mount lenses adapted to E-mount" guy, this adapter is way more solid than any of the 3rd party adapters I used for Sony. And with my chipped lenses, I get EXIF data and camera body aperture control which is awesome. New life breathed into my ZF.2 35/1.4 and CV 20/3.5, 40/2, 90/3.5. My limited use of an adapted G lens has been promising as well.

I just spent a couple weeks in beautiful Hawaii with my family, and the Z6 delivered in spades. I brought the 35/1.4 but never used it. The 24-70/4 is that good. Crisp across the frame at all focal lengths, especially at f/5.6 and f/8. Nice bokeh. AF never skipped a beat. I'd read a fair amount online before setting up the camera, and I agree with the settings that were posted above that Terri had so much success with. Dynamic AF with AF-On is awesome. I borrowed a friend's 70-200/2.8G for a whale watching trip and it was spot on every time. Grabbed some of the best portraits of my kids on the boat that I've taken in awhile as well. Sure, the rendering of these lenses isn't as unique and "character-ish" as my rangefinder lenses, but it's so fast and reliable that my keeper percentage is increased significantly.

I wish I could find my posts on the Cafe from the early days of the Sony A7 and what I hoped Nikon would do. They've done it, and it's only going to get better from here.

I just got back in the Nikon camp after a long sojourn with Sony's A7, A7ii, and A7iii. It wasn't totally by choice as I had my entire Sony A7iii and AF lens kit stolen. I had mostly been shooting F-mount and M-mount glass on the Sony cameras until I built up an AF kit, and at least those lenses remained at home. So I decided to take the opportunity to develop 2 parallel kits. I've been using a Leica M10 for all of my manual focus enjoyment with my rangefinder lenses I'd accumulated over the years. And I decided to give Nikon a chance again when I need AF.

I have to say, Nikon has really delivered the camera platform I was hoping Sony would evolve towards. No doubt that at this point in time, Sony has a much more fleshed out native lens selection for E-mount, and its AF system is top notch for mirrorless on the 3rd generation bodies and particularly the A9. However, I see a bright future for Nikon. The larger diameter lens mount allowed them to make a compact, lightweight, and optically excellent (with a bit of cooked in software help) 24-70/4 lens. Sony still has not done this. Only f/2.8 big zooms or the underperforming and overpriced Zeiss 24-70/4. Nikon also came out of the gate with excellent 35mm and 50mm f/1.8 lenses. Light, bright enough, compact enough, perfectly sized for the system. Sony does have the excellent 55/1.8, but still no 35/2 native lens, only the 40/2 Batis.

I've read some complaints about the FTZ adapter. I understand it would have been nice to have more complete support for non-chipped AI and AI-S lenses, as well as AF for the AF-D screw-driven lenses. But the adapter is big enough as is, in fact I wish they'd have been able to pull it off without the little tripod mount. But let me tell you, as a recovering "F-mount lenses adapted to E-mount" guy, this adapter is way more solid than any of the 3rd party adapters I used for Sony. And with my chipped lenses, I get EXIF data and camera body aperture control which is awesome. New life breathed into my ZF.2 35/1.4 and CV 20/3.5, 40/2, 90/3.5. My limited use of an adapted G lens has been promising as well.

I just spent a couple weeks in beautiful Hawaii with my family, and the Z6 delivered in spades. I brought the 35/1.4 but never used it. The 24-70/4 is that good. Crisp across the frame at all focal lengths, especially at f/5.6 and f/8. Nice bokeh. AF never skipped a beat. I'd read a fair amount online before setting up the camera, and I agree with the settings that were posted above that Terri had so much success with. Dynamic AF with AF-On is awesome. I borrowed a friend's 70-200/2.8G for a whale watching trip and it was spot on every time. Grabbed some of the best portraits of my kids on the boat that I've taken in awhile as well. Sure, the rendering of these lenses isn't as unique and "character-ish" as my rangefinder lenses, but it's so fast and reliable that my keeper percentage is increased significantly.

I wish I could find my posts on the Cafe from the early days of the Sony A7 and what I hoped Nikon would do. They've done it, and it's only going to get better from here.

You're entire Sony kit was stolen? That sucks, I'd probably cry!

I'm also running two kits right now with Nikon DSLRs and the Sony A7III, but I haven't fully decided to make the switch. There are some things I like on the Sony side. I also like the Sony 16-35mm f/4 quite a bit, but the 14-30mm f/4 is looking very attractive. I also have the Sony 70-200mm f4 and it's faster than adapting the Nikon 70-200mm on the FTZ.

Real Name
Ian

Sorry to hear about your gear getting stolen Matt, but I presume that you had it insured which helps soften the blow (I've actually made money from my insurance company when I had a claim for my camera gear).

I appreciate your input and comparison of the Z system to Sony's E system, and look forward to seeing your shots from Hawaii. My wife and I went to Maui and Kauai for a week and a half last year, and absolutely loved it. Such a fantastic place.

You're entire Sony kit was stolen? That sucks, I'd probably cry!

I'm also running two kits right now with Nikon DSLRs and the Sony A7III, but I haven't fully decided to make the switch. There are some things I like on the Sony side. I also like the Sony 16-35mm f/4 quite a bit, but the 14-30mm f/4 is looking very attractive. I also have the Sony 70-200mm f4 and it's faster than adapting the Nikon 70-200mm on the FTZ.

I had the 16-35/4, 55/1.8, and 70-200/4. I really liked the 16-35 and 55, got a lot of use out of them at least. I never really fell in love with the 70-200/4, mostly because I'd tend to use my 85, 90, and 100mm prime lenses in lieu of it.

Sorry to hear about your gear getting stolen Matt, but I presume that you had it insured which helps soften the blow (I've actually made money from my insurance company when I had a claim for my camera gear).

I appreciate your input and comparison of the Z system to Sony's E system, and look forward to seeing your shots from Hawaii. My wife and I went to Maui and Kauai for a week and a half last year, and absolutely loved it. Such a fantastic place.

The insurance thing was a killer and I learned a hard lesson. For some reason, I never added specifically that camera body and those three lenses to the policy. All of my stuff sitting at home was insured though! Now, everything is updated the day I get a new piece of photo gear.

Is there a way to post images directly to the forum now, hosted by the Café? Or do I still need to upload to Flickr and link the embed code? I processed everything on an iPad Pro through LRCC, and it actually worked well. It was pretty nice to just use the USB-C port on the camera and iPad for a smooth transfer. I'm still waiting on my XQD reader to ship.

Untitled-1.jpg

Real Name
Andy
I finally had a chance to photograph some outdoor sports with the Z6 and Z7. I'm very pleased with the performance of both bodies after two track meets.

1. 70-200mm on the Z6
Thompson at Yorkville 20190408_18071665_19C_1140.jpg

2. 300mm on Z7 (cropped to approximately 24MP)
Thompson at Rotolo 20190411_17453467_19D_2015.jpg

Attachments

• Thompson at Yorkville 20190408_18071665_19C_1140-2.jpg
    Thompson at Yorkville 20190408_18071665_19C_1140-2.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 69
I finally had a chance to photograph some outdoor sports with the Z6 and Z7. I'm very pleased with the performance of both bodies after two track meets.

Nice Andy. I'm having no issues incorporating the Z6 into my lineup when covering sports. I'm hoping the rain hold off and I'm able to cover the track meet here Saturday. My plan is to run the Z6 primarily as a remote.

Anyone using a screen protector for the Z6? Any suggestions on which product or if it degrades the sensitivity of the screen? Thanks in advance.

Real Name
Andrew
Real Name
Bill
A few random shots Z6.

Sage Grouse from pretty far off. This was near dawn with a 500pf and 1.4TC on a tripod.

Sage Grouse 2019.jpg

This is a Sandhill Crane taken at the pond next to my house.

Sandhill Flight 5.jpg

Incoming Canada Goose sticking his tongue out at me.

Canada Goose Landing 2.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom