Nikon Z6 - Image & Discussion Thread

Today I took my most adventurous hike since my stroke four months ago, along Little Stony Creek in Giles County, VA. It was a challenge but I did take along my new (to me) Z6 with 24-70S, in a sling pack to protect it if I fell. Fortunately I didn't fall, but I did get a few photos to build up my experience.

This one is not a great image, but was made at 1/6s handheld. I was shocked that it came out so well.

DSC_0200-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's another just for the record.

DSC_0215-X2.jpg

I'm deciding that I like this camera quite a lot but I do miss the optical viewfinder of my DSLRs.

Having had a positive IBIS experience with Olympus Mk I and II, I anticipated good things from the Z6, and have been pleased.

Jim,

Congratulations on the acquisition of the Z6, the pics, which are just great and your continued return to good health which allowed you to get out and use the camera!

DG

One of the reasons I bought the Z6 was to be able to use my old AI and AIS lenses with IBIS and focus peaking. After trying several I'm finding I'm disappointed in the IQ compared to the 24-70s.

Real Name
Ian
One of the reasons I bought the Z6 was to be able to use my old AI and AIS lenses with IBIS and focus peaking. After trying several I'm finding I'm disappointed in the IQ compared to the 24-70s.
I can't say I'm really surprised. Those lenses are from the 70's and 80's, and optical technology has improved exponentially since then.

Think about cars from the late 70's and early 80's, and how they compare to modern cars. Sure, back then everyone thought they were great, but when you compare them to modern cars using state of the art technology, they come up short in every measurable aspect. The same holds true with many of these lenses. They were good at the time, but pale in comparison to modern lenses which have better sharpness and contrast at wider apertures.

I can't say I'm really surprised. Those lenses are from the 70's and 80's, and optical technology has improved exponentially since then.

Think about cars from the late 70's and early 80's, and how they compare to modern cars. Sure, back then everyone thought they were great, but when you compare them to modern cars using state of the art technology, they come up short in every measurable aspect. The same holds true with many of these lenses. They were good at the time, but pale in comparison to modern lenses which have better sharpness and contrast at wider apertures.

I'm not sure I agree with your car analogy, but your basic point I think is correct.

Real Name
Ian
I'm not sure I agree with your car analogy, but your basic point I think is correct.
Why not Jim?

The best selling car in 1980 was an Oldsmobile Cutlass. At the time, people must've thought it was a pretty good car in order for it to claim that honor. Fast forward 38 years, and the best selling car is a Toyota Camry.

Back in 1980, the Cutlass was a fine car. However, put that car side-by-side with a Camry today, and it's a pretty laughable comparison as the Camry is going to be better in every measurable way. Faster, safer, more luxurious, more efficient, etc. As time goes on, technology improves and as that technology improves, expectations and the status quo shift. People today expect more out of their vehicle than they did back in 1980.

It's no different with lenses. Back in the day, the Ai and Ai S lenses were great. However when you compare them to a modern lens they employ lackluster coating technology, lack the sharpness of modern lenses, have much lower contrast, poorer flare performance, worse chromatic aberration performance, etc. In the past ~40 years, peoples expectations of the level of performance that a lens should deliver have changed, which means that lenses that we once thought were fine, may no longer be the case because of a shift in our expectations.

I should note that some people want that "vintage" look provided by older glass (flaring, low-contrast, soft rendering), but if your goal is image sharpness and outright image quality, then modern day lenses are the way to go.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ian
Here's an 8-image panorama of Angle Tarn in the UK's Lake District. I'm slowly getting around to editing images from our vacation there back in June.

Angle Tarn Panorama - Finished.jpg

I agree. I was hoping for some magic and not really feeling it.

Real Name
Andy

I agree. I was hoping for some magic and not really feeling it.

I know that the older glass is not the equal of modern optics, but I am really enjoying the shooting experience of vintage lenses on the Z. Previously, I have adapted Nikon AI and other manufacturers’ all-manual lenses to micro 4/3 with good results. Doing the same on the Z6 combines the best of everything, IMO: FF depth of field, IBIS, magnification and focus peaking, etc.

Latest threads

Top Bottom