Nikon Z6/Nikon Z7 question

Thanks again very much guys!

@Mike G , I am from Greece ( Talos is a forum nickname :) - was an ancient mythic robot )
I am thinking to purchase from Amazon.de as it seems to me to be the best combination of reliable store/good price. Its around the same price if I purchase the kit lens or the body with the 50mm 1.8 S. I'm thinking that the 2000$ 24-70 f/2.8 would be a more mature future proof option if I want one zoom, but on the other hand its a huge cost for a similar image quality with the kit lens. Its a valid point to not lose the kit lens, I tend to agree.

@Palouse I agree! I will also certainly purchase the small-rig L-bracket, looks a nice addition to the system for rigidity and protection.
Χριστός ἀνέστη, from Florida! My family is from Greece

Talos -- I notice you mention considering making the purchase from Amazon. I would strongly recommend that you find an actual camera shop instead, either a brick-and-mortar one in your local area or an online one that sells and ships internationally. Of course right now with things shuttered due to the pandemic, unfortunately you aren't going to be able to just walk into a camera shop and handle different camera bodies and lenses, which is what I usually recommend. Good luck in making your choice and purchase!

I'll chime in with a somewhat different perspective.
I was shopping for a new camera and came upon an ad in Craigs list for a new Z7 with the Z24-70 f/2.8, the FTZ adapter and a Sony 129 G card. All for $3,000. I figured someone was running a scam but bit and met the nicest 80 year old who just didnt like mirrorless.

So I really didnt shop around and have to make a decision between the Z7 and Z6.

I can say this, going from 20 megapixels to almost 46 megapixels opens up a whole new world. Yes there's little difference in many cases when comparing pictures on the internet, especially on many off the sites that force you to reduce your pixel count, but on my computer monitor, when I print, there is a noticeable difference in more than just fine detail. I love the ability to crop, sometimes heavily and still have a viable photo. Also a lot of people talk about the high ISO capabilities of the Z6 and the best part is that this technology reaches the Z7 too. While there is a slight advantage in noise going to the Z6 I dont find the z7 to be noisy. I'm also not coming from a camera that traded low noise for ISO, the Z7 is much better than what I was coming from so its all about perspective.

Best part of it all is that you cant go wrong whichever way you go. Its dependent on you, cost, shooting style. Everything that has been mentioned. Whichever way you go I'll bet everything that you're happy with your camera.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@zappix Αληθώς ο Κύριος! I wish the best for you and your family, health and happiness!

Thank you so much for chiming in and describing your experience with the Z7. Indeed you found a fantastic offering! Congratulations! :D
I know its a hard "equation to solve" -especially if you are as picky as I am- . I'll judge all the opinions and what I see online to make my selection. I'll give it maybe 1-2 weeks more to make a more mature choice.
Your experience coming from a 20MP is significant to note, and the f/2.8 should be a terrific zoom lens, so I can imagine you get excellent results.
But I agree either camera will make amazing shots if I use it right, I am sure for that.

@Clix Pix I guess your recommendation to avoid Amazon comes from the thinking to support the local economy. In that case I fully agree with this thought. Actually if I go with the Z7 I will do that as the price I see on the local stores in Greece is competitive with other European Stores. For the Z6, I see a big difference, the smaller one being around 200 euros which is not small to dismiss, that's why I mentioned Amazon. Amazon also gives you the possibility to return and get a full refund in case of anything is wrong. In my experience, local shops depending on which is the owner can create trouble at times accepting returns for things like for example for a cosmetic defect.

Actually, although my usual advice is indeed to recommend going to and supporting local B&M stores, I realize that right now during this pandemic not a lot of them are open or have limitations on the services they can provide. However, beyond that, my comment was more in the direction of suggesting that an online store (local or otherwise) dedicated to photography gear might be a better choice than Amazon, which offers a little (or a lot) of just about everything to everybody, which in the end may or may not serve photographers well. Also, packaging and shipping of the item(s) ordered should be taken into consideration, and, unfortunately, sometimes expensive items which should be carefully packaged and protected during shipping are not. Just saying...... Yes, on the surface Amazon has good return policies -- but something to wonder about is what do they do with those returned items? I am sure you would not want to open a delivery from there only to find a camera body or lens, or other photographic item which clearly shows signs of having been used and subsequently returned.....and, yes, from what I have read, this HAS happened from time to time to people purchasing expensive items, including camera gear.

Aside from all that, if you have specific photography or gear-related questions to ask once whatever you've ordered is in hand, my guess is that you would get much more knowledgeable responses from people whose business is solely photography and photographic gear.

I own the Z6 and absolutely love it. I chose it over the Z7 because of the pricing and because I don't feel like I need (or need to deal with storing) 40+ megapixel files.

Having said that, I can now see a reason for opting for the Z7 that would benefit me: flexibility. I don't need the large files, but you don't have to shoot at the highest resolution with the Z7. And in fact, you can take the Z7 and throw the tiny DX 16-50 lens on that camera and have a fully functioning and quite small DX camera to shoot with. And then an hour later go to your FX lenses and have one of the best full-frame setups out there. So in some ways, the Z7 gives you three cameras in one: a high megapixel FX camera, a Z6 equivalent FX camera and a Z50 equivalent DX camera.

So if I were to do it over again, I might go for the Z7. Currently, instead, I'm using the 16-50 on my Z6 but considering picking up a Z50 used. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Hi RobCar, thanks for your report.

As I have seen with the pre-purchase research I have done so far, the Z7 is best if you really need the extra resolution and sharpness. Looking at many RAW files from both cameras, I can see that the Z7 images look a tad sharper when displayed at 100% and I guess this has to do with the lack of AA filter. This extra information is making a tiny difference when looking at an oversampled photo frame compared to the Z6. However this difference comes at a 1400$ difference and other drawbacks. More noise at the same ISO compared to the Z6 and worse video quality. So, its not like the Z7 checks all tick marks. Its all has to do with how high in your priority list is to have the best sharpness at lower ISOs. This is what I try to evaluate for my case.

Real Name
Andy
For my part, as I mentioned in my rather long post earlier, I sold the Z7 and kept the Z6. Since I had been (and continue to be) perfectly happy with 20MP or 24 MP in my DSLRs, my thinking is that I will wait for AF improvements in future Z bodies to match or exceed the D500 before owning a higher resolution Z body.

Perfectly understand Andy. The Z6 is an terrific camera. Just nitpicking here. To be honest the tiny effect of the AA filter in the Z6 in many cases gives a very "velvet"/clean feel in photos that is hard to describe but looks very appealing to the eye.

Thank you very much Dave ! I appreciate it very much :)
Mnglass is right, the import tax would be huge.
But thanks anyways for the kind gesture!

I'm late to this thread and have been in the same position as Talos, so I really appreciate all of this discussion!
Personally I currently have a Df with a lot of older legacy glass that I have gathered over the years – only two of which are “G” lenses that would autofocus through the FTZ mount:
Nikkor 16-35 mm f2.8 AF-S G
Nikkor 50 mm f1.8 AF-S G (SE)
Nikkor 50 mm f1.4 AF D
Nikkor 50 mm f1.4 manual
Nikkor 80-200 mm f2.8 AF

The Boss (aka: wife) has offered for my 50th birthday next year a Safari in Africa (HUGE bucket list for me - assuming the world is not locked-down). Also, the Chief Financial Officer (same wife) offered that I could get a new camera body and lenses. I have been dreaming about the move to mirrorless for a while; not for the weight, but more for the optics and my belief that mirrorless will do for DSLR what digital did to film. I am contemplating a Z-something body + my 16-35 mm f/4 AF-S G VR, 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G, and buy the new Z70-200mm F/2.8 with the Z 2x teleconverter -that should work for the safari without ******* off the CEO (yup: wife) with a super long lens that I would never really use again. I would consider the kit lens because of all the accolades I have read here, but I primarily use the 50mm f/1.8 as a walk-around so it should do until I eventually finish the Trinity with the z24-70 mm F/2.8. I acknowledge that I am a gear-head and that this is a lot of glass and money, etc, but I like getting the stuff. Yes, "want" is encroaching on "need" here. Also, I recently sold my beloved M3 because it was not used much, and nobody else (including the Chief Operations Officer [wife]) could drive a manual transmission, so i am fortunate to have a few ducats to work with.

I would love an update from Talos regarding his decision.

If he has not yet made a decision, there is another wrinkle: the rumored release of a Z6s/Z7s supposedly coming in October 2020. That would upset all of the obsessive research I have done!

How significant will the (as yet rumored) improvements be? -I tried to link to nikonrumors, but didn't work.
What will be the cost of the updated cameras?
How will that effect the after-market of the current cameras? (I suspect we will see a lot of used Z7 bodies)
Should I, then look at a new Z6s or a used Z7?

ARRRG!!!

buy the new Z70-200mm F/2.8 with the Z 2x teleconverter -that should work for the safari without ******* off the CEO (yup: wife) with a super long lens that I would never really use again.
That implies that you would rarely use the 2x teleconverter again. Consider renting it. Similarly, instead of buying the 70-200, consider renting it if there is another longish lens you would prefer to keep or buy later rather than in time for your trip for whatever reason.

That implies that you would rarely use the 2x teleconverter again. Consider renting it. Similarly, instead of buying the 70-200, consider renting it if there is another longish lens you would prefer to keep or buy later rather than in time for your trip for whatever reason.
I would use the 70-200mm. I have used my current long zoom a lot despite the fact that the manual focus ring is stripped (only autofocuses) and it's pretty soft at 2.8.

Real Name
Andy
The Boss (aka: wife) has offered for my 50th birthday next year a Safari in Africa (HUGE bucket list for me - assuming the world is not locked-down). Also, the Chief Financial Officer (same wife) offered that I could get a new camera body and lenses.
This is a golden opportunity!

I believe @Talos may not have remained active in the Cafe beyond his initial interest in researching his Z purchase.

FWIW, I remain happy with my 24MP decision mentioned above. I do think the prospect of improvement to the current Z bodies is interesting. If the CFO is open to your being the first kid on the block with one of those toys (i.e., paying the initial full price, as opposed to waiting for them to hit the used market), it could be worth the wait. I say this primarily because there is much room for improvement in AF capability in Nikon mirrorless over the current offerings, and I feel confident they will deliver it in the next generation.

Even if you should decide against paying the premium for the yet-to-arrive new model, the introduction of that model will reduce the value of current models, thereby leaving room in your budget to buy some new glass.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom