NIKON Z6 or Olympus EM1 MKII for Honeymoon to St. Lucia

Seeking travel advise as to which system to bring to St. Lucia in October. I currently own both the Z6 and Olympus EM1 MKII systems. I do prefer the Z6 and the weight of it isn't an issue for me. Currently, I own the Nikkor 35mm, 50mm S lenses along with the 70 - 300mm AF-P 4.5-5.6E ED VR. For travel, I'd bring the 35mm and the 70 - 300mm. I'd rather bring the Z6 for better DR and low light performance, but I am a little concerned about it's durability in the St. Lucia.

Without getting into my Oly lenses (I have wider selection), I wanted to know if it would be worth it to bring my Nikon system or my M43 system. My biggest concern is, will the Z6 withstand St. Lucia's climate as it's a humid environment? I know it's weather sealed, but to what extent? I'm also concerned about getting caught out in the rain with it.

Has anyone experienced any issues with the Z6 in humid areas? Can the Z6 stand up to the weather, or should I play it safe with the Olympus M43 camera?

Real Name
Andrew
I'd be more concerned about having the right focal length over the climate.

If 35mm is wide enough for you, then I'd say you are good to go as the lenses you've shared are great. If you want/need wider and not spend a lot, then a used f-mount 28mm f1.8G is a good option for AF.

If you want to save even more money on wider, and not averse to manual focus, pick up a 20, 24 or 28mm Nikon AIS prime. I've the 20/3.5, 28/2.8 AIS lenses and they are great. I love the focus peaking on the Z6 as well.

Both cameras will serve you well. Enjoy the vacation.

Last edited:
Real Name
Steve
I've had 4 honeymoons, different camera each time... didn't want the camera to be a jinx.

Just got back from a cruise to Cuba that got turned away thanks to our President. Took an XPro-2 on this trip, it was stellar. Sharpness, color, portability... perfect.

I honestly wouldn't let Trenchmonkey take your wife . . . or your cellphone. :whistle:

I had the Z6 in Ireland where mostly we (uncharacteristically) had pretty good weather. One day we had light to moderate rain and on another day we had just intermittent light rain. I've also used a Z in Hawaii where we had rain one day. I was using the 24-70 f4 and had no issues.

Reports I've read suggest that the Z series are sealed to a very high standard as long as you keep all the doors and tabs closed.

I've also used the Oly MKII in Iceland where we had (uncharacteristically - seriously you folks should pay us to travel with you) good weather but were caught in one shower.

I think as long as you are prudent either camera will hold up fine. Both great cameras too.

I'd be more concerned about having the right focal length over the climate.

If 35mm is wide enough for you, then I'd say you are good to go as the lenses you've shared are great. If you want/need wider and not spend a lot, then a used f-mount 28mm f1.8G is a good option for AF.

If you want to save even more money on wider, and not averse to manual focus, pick up a 20, 24 or 28mm Nikon AIS prime. I've the 20/3.5, 28/2.8 AIS lenses and they are great. I love the focus peaking on the Z6 as well.

Both cameras will serve you well. Enjoy the vacation.
Great advice, thank you. I'll definitely check out the 28mm. Wish I could get 14-30 but I have to save a lot pennies to get it.

I guess it depends on what you like/want to photograph.
I want to be able to capture images of the landscapes, my wife of course, and the small towns we'll be visiting. Not so much into wildlife but if I see a bird fly into our room, I'll try snap a picture of I can. I'd also like to take pictures during dinner, so maybe some low light shots.

I honestly wouldn't let Trenchmonkey take your wife . . . or your cellphone. :whistle:

I had the Z6 in Ireland where mostly we (uncharacteristically) had pretty good weather. One day we had light to moderate rain and on another day we had just intermittent light rain. I've also used a Z in Hawaii where we had rain one day. I was using the 24-70 f4 and had no issues.

Reports I've read suggest that the Z series are sealed to a very high standard as long as you keep all the doors and tabs closed.

I've also used the Oly MKII in Iceland where we had (uncharacteristically - seriously you folks should pay us to travel with you) good weather but were caught in one shower.

I think as long as you are prudent either camera will hold up fine. Both great cameras too.
Lol, Trenchmonkey can't have my wife but he can have my phone. It'll give a good reason to buy a new one. Although, I'd rather keep the phone so I can use that money for a new lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom