Nikon Z6 PocketWizard workaround in Continuous H (extended)

I like to shoot remote camera at some of the sporting events I cover. Last night I decided to try using the Z6 as the trigger camera to fire a D500 floor level remote. I have the Z6 set to Continuous H (extended) to get the max frame rates. With this setting and the PocketWizard mounted to the Z6 hotshoe it would not fire the D500.

Looking at the Photo Shooting Menu, when the Z6 is in Continuous H (extended) the flash options are grayed out. Dropping the Release Mode on the Z6 to just Continuous H will make the flash mode active in the Photo Shooting Menu and the PocketWizard will transmit the signal and fire the D500 just fine. But I want the higher frame rate of Continuous H (extended).

The workaround is to set the Z6 to the Continuous H (extended), knowing the PocketWizard will not get the trigger signal from the center contact of the hotshoe, and instead use an MCDC2 remote camera cable. This will transmit the signal from the Accessory terminal on the size of the Z6 to the PocketWizard at the higher frame rate.

So the Z6 limits the signal to the hotshoe on top of the camera, but does not limit the signal to the accessory terminal on the side at the highest rate of fire.

I see similar behavior with my G9. If you put on a flash or trigger, any continuous drive mode is disabled. Same with bracketing (exposure or focus). However if you don't mount anything to the hot shoe and use a Synch cable all is good.

I think the more computerized these cameras become, the more arbitrary decisions are made in software about how the camera is to be used. Kinda sad they limit users this way when they don't have to.

Hello @F15Todd. I'm looking to use Pocket Wizards to trigger a remote camera shooting with a Z6 to fire a D4s. What cord are you using as this workaround? Is this the cable you are using?
PocketWizard N-MCDC2-ACC-1 Remote Camera Cable
Thanks,
David

Last edited:
Hello @F15Todd. I'm looking to use Pocket Wizards to trigger a remote camera shooting with a Z6 to fire a D4s. What cord are you using as this workaround? Is this the cable you are using?
PocketWizard N-MCDC2-ACC-1 Remote Camera Cable
Thanks,
David
Yes that is the cable. I was kind of bummed to see the latest upgrade to the Z6 didn't fix this, or at least it was not in the release and I have not tried it since I did the update.

PocketWizardN-MCDC2-ACC-1 Remote Camera Cable with PTMM Pre-Trigger Adapter Kit (1')

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom