Nikon Z7 sensor cleaning

I have been using my Z7 for the past 4-5 months. I am seeing some dusts on my sensor. They are not noticeable on all shots but for some it is annoying. I do some standard things like using my blower to dust off once in a while, and I do use "sensor cleaning" menu, but I cannot get rid of some dust marks. Do I have to take my camera to the camera store to clean it?

The problem with the Z6 and Z7 is the onboard image stabilization. Applying too much force can cause damage. Tom Hogan writes about this. I do my own wet cleanings but if I owned a Z I wouldn't touch it.

Edit: From Thom's page;

"Can I clean the sensor on my Z6/Z7?"

Probably, but it's an "at your own risk thing." Nikon did one right thing here: when the camera is off, the sensor VR is put into a lock position. Many other IBIS type solutions I've seen to date don't lock the sensor position, which led Olympus to disclaim user sensor cleaning, while early Sony A7 models tended to have IBIS failures until Sony beefed up the mechanism.

Nikon, unfortunately, is staying tight-lipped about user sensor cleaning and recommending that a dirty sensor be returned to them for cleaning.

Last edited:
The manual states that you can't clean the Z7 sensor by yourself, at all.

All Nikon camera manuals say that.

Pages 286 and 287 of my D7000 manual and pages 210 and 211 of my wife's D5100 manual explicitly explain the details of manually cleaning the sensor. Actually, the low-pass filter attached to the sensor.

Pages 286 and 287 of my D7000 manual and pages 210 and 211 of my wife's D5100 manual explicitly explain the details of manually cleaning the sensor
But did you even read it?

"Remove any dust and lint from the filter with a blower. Do not use a blower-brush, as the bristles could damage the filter. Dirt that can not be removed with a blower can only be removed by Nikon-authorized service personnel. Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the filter."

Let's stop arguing, please.

All I wanted to point out is that there is a difference in sensor cleaning options with the Z bodies compared to recent DSLRs. The Z6/7 are more sensitive due to IBIS. Personally, I would not attempt any cleaning myself - YMMV.

Thanks

Mike

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I think very light cleaning with minimal pressure beyond a simple dry / wet wipe would be OK. That is what Nikon will do if you send it to Nikon. If something requires more aggressive measures, by all means send it to Nikon or wait for a sensor cleaning day hosted at your local retail outlet where an authorized person can do it for you.

I used to clean my Pentax sensors, with IBIS (before Nikon discovered it), regularly without problems.

Real Name
Chris
I have cleaned my sensor on the Z7 a handfull of times since I bought it. Most camera shops will have kits specifically for that sensor. Obviously, as others have stated; very little pressure should be applied. I generally use just enough to ensure an even swipe. But I have not had any issues from cleaning the sensor. (Or any issues with the camera at all I should say.)

I just had my Z7 cleaned by Samy's Camera. It was $50. Done nicely in half a hour while I was waiting. Some camera stores charge as much as $80 for a full-size sensor....
I've been using the Z7 for only 6 months. I should be more careful when changing lenses going forward.... I suppose the Canons are more protected since their mirrorless has a shutter that closes when the lens is detached (not Nikon or Sony).

Latest threads

Top Bottom