Nikon Z7ii

I'm perfectly happy with my D850, but considering transitioning to mirrorless. I thought I might pick up a Nikon Z7ii and a couple of Z lenses...and use the adaptor for the rest of my current F mount lenses. To my surprise, it doesn't look like any of the stores I normally purchase through (B&H, Adorama) have the camera in stock. I'm surprised because I thought the camera was released in December.

I'm in no hurry whatsoever, but was wondering when availability is expected for this camera. It seems concerning that Nikon is advertising and promoting the Zii cameras everywhere I look for months (Facebook and Instagram ads)--only to not be able to fulfill orders from interested buyers.

The reason I am considering the Z7ii is that I believe two of the Z lenses will outperform the F mount lenses that I use a lot: the 14-24 and the 24-70. I also think the filter solution is a bit more convenient for the new 14-24. In time, I would expect the Z7ii to become my backup camera as I'm sure that the upcoming Z cameras will continue to improve. The Z9 might be of interest ultimately.

Glenn

Last edited:
I'm perfectly happy with my D850, but considering transitioning to mirrorless. I thought I might pick up a Nikon Z7ii and a couple of Z lenses...and use the adaptor for the rest of my current F mount lenses. To my surprise, it doesn't look like any of the stores I normally purchase through (B&H, Adorama) have the camera in stock. I'm surprised because I thought the camera was released in December.

I'm in no hurry whatsoever, but was wondering when availability is expected for this camera. It seems concerning that Nikon is advertising and promoting the Zii cameras everywhere I look for months (Facebook and Instagram ads)--only to not be able to fulfill orders from interested buyers.

The reason I am considering the Z7ii is that I believe two of the Z lenses will outperform the F mount lenses that I use a lot: the 14-24 and the 24-70. I also think the filter solution is a bit more convenient for the new 14-24. In time, I would expect the Z7ii to become my backup camera as I'm sure that the Z camera will improve a great deal. The Z9 might be of interest ultimately.

Glenn
I had to wait for almost 2 months until Nikon Canada had more in stock shipped in from the mother ship. The first couple of batches were bought up quickly

The reason I am considering the Z7ii is that I believe two of the Z lenses will outperform the F mount lenses that I use a lot: the 14-24 and the 24-70. I also think the filter solution is a bit more convenient for the new 14-24. In time, I would expect the Z7ii to become my backup camera as I'm sure that the Z camera will improve a great deal. The Z9 might be of interest ultimately.

Glenn

Are you selling your F lenses 14-24 and 24-70 ?

Thanks

Are you selling your F lenses 14-24 and 24-70 ?

Thanks
Not for a while...

For now, I'm shooting exclusively with the D850, so I am using the 14-24 and 24-70 on a regular basis. Once I purchase a Z7ii, I plan to get the 14-24S and 24-70S. At that point, I'll still need the F lenses as my backup since the S lenses won't work with my D850. Once I have two Z cameras, I'll sell my 14-24 and 24-70 F lenses. I will also sell my filter system for the 14-24 (which includes a polarizing filter and two ND filters, including a 10 stop).

Glenn

Last edited:
I had to wait for almost 2 months until Nikon Canada had more in stock shipped in from the mother ship. The first couple of batches were bought up quickly
I am in no hurry and can certainly wait to make this purchase, I just thought it was strange that the camera isn't available. Nikon is already talking about releasing the next Z camera (probably later this year)--yet people can't even buy the current one.

Glenn

Not for a while...

For now, I'm shooting exclusively with the D850, so I am using the 14-24 and 24-70 on a regular basis. Once I purchase a Z7ii, I plan to get the 14-24S and 24-70S. At that point, I'll still need the F lenses as my backup since the S lenses won't work with my D850. Once I have two Z cameras, I'll sell my 14-24 and 24-70 F lenses. I will also sell my filter system for the 14-24 (which includes a polarizing filter and two ND filters, including a 10 stop).

Glenn
That s make sense ...
I am going to purchase a d4s or a d5 to replace my aging ....d2xs 😝 so im gonna to buy a 14-24 and a 24-70 .....

Glenn, the Z6 II and Z7 II have been so wildly popular my local St. Louis store has trouble getting them. When they do, it's 1 or 2 cameras. I was lucky when I went to trade in some old gear that they had 1 Z6 II w/lens kit in stock. I hadn't planned on buying the lens. I planned on using my lenses with the FTZ until I was sure about the camera. I like the way the controls are laid out and haven't used my D750 since purchasing the Z6 II. I look forward to the release of more Z lenses. Until then I am finding some older F-mount lenses are actually performing better on the Z system than they did on the F-mount cameras I used them with. Keep in mind I am not talking about speed of focus for wildlife. I am referring to accuracy of focus with several lenses, especially the Sigma macro lenses I frequently use. My decisions of what other lenses to part with will now depend on Nikon's production schedule of new glass. I think you will especially like low-light, actual exposure live view of the Z cameras for some of the work you do. In real dark situations I admit things are a bit distracting. But, in those situations a DSLR can be next to impossible to use. I hope you will be able to score one soon.

Real Name
Andy
I also think the filter solution is a bit more convenient for the new 14-24.
Once I have two Z cameras, I'll sell my 14-24 and 24-70 F lenses. I will also sell my filter system for the 14-24 (which includes a polarizing filter and two ND filters, including a 10 stop).
Excellent plan. Fun fact: the weight of the Z-mount 14-24 + 24-70 kit lens is essentially the same as the F-mount 14-24 + FTZ.

I sold my F-mount 14-24 and the associated monstrosity required to put filters in front of it shortly after buying the Z-mount version. Both the threaded and square filter options for the new 14-24 are much more user friendly.

Have you submitted a NPS "Priority Purchase Delivery" to get a Z 7 II?

Excellent plan. Fun fact: the weight of the Z-mount 14-24 + 24-70 kit lens is essentially the same as the F-mount 14-24 + FTZ.

I sold my F-mount 14-24 and the associated monstrosity required to put filters in front of it shortly after buying the Z-mount version. Both the threaded and square filter options for the new 14-24 are much more user friendly.

Have you submitted a NPS "Priority Purchase Delivery" to get a Z 7 II?
Any weight savings would be welcome...as well as a more convenient filter solution. I plan to go with the square filters (except for a threaded polarizing filter) as I would like use the same ND filters on multiple lenses.

I haven't submitted a NPS priority purchase delivery as I haven't been in any rush to get the camera. But, I have now planned a photography road trip for the summer and though it might be a good opportunity to put a mirrorless camera through its paces.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom