NIkon Z8 - 61mp camera

Sniff....! So, isn't that nice, that Nikon is.just now supposedly, via rumors, snagging what Sony has already had available for quite a while now, over a year and a half...... And, yes, it IS a lot of megapixels and even now with the A7R IV that I have had since November of 2019 I am still needing to be mindful of the best way to take advantage of them. There are definitely pros and cons to this much in the way of available megapixels.

60MP is perfect.
I was really hoping the D850 would be 56MP.
So a 60MP Z8 would finally hit the mark.

Why 56MP? (or 60MP)
That matches the pixel density of the D500.
Allowing you to crop a "D500 DX Frame" of 24MP out of anywhere on the FX frame.

I hope this isn't an April Fools joke - The Z8 seems perfectly inline with what I want......

Actually I saw something somewhere else, a written text analysis of what the various camera manufacturers were bringing out or planning to bring out next......this included Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Sony, etc. Some of this may actually be true, even if that Frojo guy were doing a send-up April Fool's Day video.... Can't remember now where I saw that article, but if I find it again I'll provide the link.

Actually I saw something somewhere else, a written text analysis of what the various camera manufacturers were bringing out or planning to bring out next......this included Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Sony, etc. Some of this may actually be true, even if that Frojo guy were doing a send-up April Fool's Day video.... Can't remember now where I saw that article, but if I find it again I'll provide the link.
The Sony A7R IV is 60MP. I believe the crop mode ends up being about 26MP - slightly more than the D500.

Real Name
Mike
I've also read that Nikon is coming out w/ a z8 (mirrorless 850 replacement) as well as the z9 pro camera later this year.

The Sony A7R IV is 60MP. I believe the crop mode ends up being about 26MP - slightly more than the D500.
Actually, the A7R IV is 61 MP (not sure how/why they came up with that odd number!). I know because I have one. I dearly love the thing -- fantastic camera. And, yes, the crop mode is about 26 MP, but I haven't ever bothered with using that, as I bought a full-frame camera for a reason. If I wanted a crop mode camera (APS-C) I'd buy one of those....

So Nikon is presumably purchasing Sony's 61 MP sensor to use in one of their own cameras...... The ability to crop significantly if need be is nice, but one does have to be mindful of the ISO.

Actually, the A7R IV is 61 MP (not sure how/why they came up with that odd number!). I know because I have one. I dearly love the thing -- fantastic camera. And, yes, the crop mode is about 26 MP, but I haven't ever bothered with using that, as I bought a full-frame camera for a reason. If I wanted a crop mode camera (APS-C) I'd buy one of those....

So Nikon is presumably purchasing Sony's 61 MP sensor to use in one of their own cameras...... The ability to crop significantly if need be is nice, but one does have to be mindful of the ISO.
I don't believe the Nikon development announcement mentions resolution - just that it will shoot 8K video. I assume it will be similar to (if not the same as) the Sony 61MP sensor but all the online verbiage (vidiage?) is just speculation.

If priced along the same lines as the Sony, I would buy a Z8 with a 61MP sensor in a heartbeat. Photonstophotos has the PDR of the A7R IV at least on a par with the Z7 and that's good enough for me.

Although of course my A7R IV does shoot video (no idea of exactly what sort) I have never bothered with that, and have no plans for doing anything with it in the future. I'm a stills photographer, not a videographer. I think the pricing has come down a little on the A7R IV since I bought mine in 2019. The pricing on Sony's newest flagship, the A1, is significantly higher, though -- ouch!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom