Nikon Zf?

There are S and non-S full-frame lenses and there will be APS-C lenses maybe named SE. What the heck would the "E" stand for? Will there also be APS-C lenses that are non-S? Sheesh! Difficult to keep track of this stuff for my pea-sized brain because the naming nomenclature makes no sense.

I think the film winder crank on the left puts this over the top for me. Would Nikon really add that bit of useless design for nostalgic giggles?

I can't figure out what that would be used for. I see markings that look like exposure compensation, but there are similar markings on the wheel on the far right of the top.

I hope it will be awesome, but sometimes I don't get Nikon? They release niche products like the expensive, boutique Nikon 58mm f/.95 NOCT, but then think releasing plastic mounted pancake Z lenses is a good place to save 10 yen or whatever it cost. How does a retro DX body help improve their marketshare?

I think the film winder crank on the left puts this over the top for me. Would Nikon really add that bit of useless design for nostalgic giggles?
The mock ups got lost in the text on NR. The only "real" photo is the one of the RH side of the new camera. The other images are just photoshopped with that as the starting point and then a LH side lifted from an FE or something like that, thus the film winder. The creator of the PS images explains it, but it's easy to miss.

Real Name
Mike
Nikon Rumors reports a retro-styled APSC mirrorless camera will be announced by Nikon before the end of the month.

I'm a little surprised by this since the Df wasn't all that popular.
Looks interesting. Problem is Z lenses are huge and modern, which takes away from the retro look. Old IA lenses and FTZ adaptor seems weird.

Real Name
Andrew
I hope it will be awesome, but sometimes I don't get Nikon? They release niche products like the expensive, boutique Nikon 58mm f/.95 NOCT, but then think releasing plastic mounted pancake Z lenses is a good place to save 10 yen or whatever it cost. How does a retro DX body help improve their marketshare?

They are probably on a misguided adventure thinking they can monopolize on the Fuji market on retro looks alone.

If true, this makes zero economic sense.
A statement that is all too true of most corporate decisions with a hint of desperation.

If this is true (and it is still by my accounts still a rumor until an official announcement and even then . . . remember the DL Series) it really does feel like an odd duck. On the one hand, how many photographers today have even used an SLR with full physical controls? Probably virtually no one under the age of 30, a sprinkling under 40, and probably a small percentage under 50 have seriously used one.

On the other hand, my daughter's partner was using an Instax wide camera over the weekend and it was just a blast to take images and watch them develop- which is to say that nostalgia has its appeal.

A certain part of me is attracted to this concept. To be able to see at a glance what all of your settings are is certainly convenient. There is a little LCD window on the top labeled "F"...presumably your f-stop will show there, and there are dedicated dials for shutter speed, iso, and exposure compensation.

But to be definitely interested I would want IBIS and automated focus-shift shooting a-la the Z6 and Z7.

Interesting. This might do decently for Nikon but they need to unveil a series of APS-C glass to go with it...

I would want IBIS and automated focus-shift shooting a-la the Z6 and Z7.

Nikon's other APS-C mirrorless camera, the Z50, has neither, so I wonder if this new camera is intended to be a step up from the Z50 and will include those features.

That leads to my other thought that the guy at Nikon Rumors said the two cameras are going to have similar specs. If the specs for the new camera aren't going to be either a step up or a step down from the Z50, I don't understand how that ultimately contributes to Nikon's bank account.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom