Nikon Zf?

Honestly, if they are going to make a 'retro' style, make it a "rangefinder-ish" ala the Olympus Pen-F. Which truth be told didn't sell all that well either, though many of us still love using it.

I now see that the expected price of the new camera with a kit lens will be $1000. That's $100 more than the Z50 with the kit lens unless the price of the Z50 comes down once the new camera is released. That might be a clue that IBIS and/or focus shifting will be included.
The Z50 kit was $999.95 when it was first released. The current $899.95 is implied to be a limited-time sale price.

Real Name
Leif
Okay, I’m going to go against the grain and say that I don’t like it. [Irony alert.]

The supposed price indicates that the camera is in the same class as the Z50, which means that it will compete with the Z50, and leave potential Z30 and Z70 customers unsatisfied. Dials cost more to make than traditional buttons and wheels, so we’re paying more for retro styling without any performance benefit.

Didn’t the Df teach them anything? It was not a failure, but it wasn’t a big seller, and it probably diverted resources away from more profitable and popular products.

If this is true, it’s madness. I don’t believe this is real, it can’t be. The reaction in this thread suggests that it would be a seriously bad idea.

If it is true, then perhaps they think a Z50 in new clothes is a cheap way to develop something ‘spiffy’. Cooee, Df, are you there?

As an aside I’ve used several film cameras such as the FE, and I wouldn’t touch them again with a bargepole. Modern cameras knock them for six in all respects, except one, which is that they are beautifully engineered, and a joy to look at. Rather like mechanical watches.

Real Name
Aaron
I am not convinced that the rumor is true, or at least not the images presented thus far (I do understand some have been mock up images created as a "what if"). The earlier rumor, that Nikon was going to introduce a "retro inspired" camera, could mean anything. Far too often things get lost in translation, so what is coming is anyone's guess.

My take is that no one was asking for a Z body that looks or operates like a classic 1960's F body. It could be a passion project, much like the Df, but as many have been saying, why not concentrate on getting the things already introduced (or promised) out the door? Many have been clamoring for a D500 equivalent Z, which seems like a much more viable camera; then again, I don't know if there is a non-USA market — perhaps China? — where a faux F style body would be a hit. Another idea is that "retro" only refers to the format, such as rangefinder style, or fixed-lens model, not necessarily the control layout. Retro itself is a very ambiguous term, yet everyone tends to gravitate towards 1960's–1970's; are late film and early DSLR designs old enough to be retro?!

Your helpful information makes me wonder even more where the new camera fits in the lineup. I certainly don't see any reason for Nikon to have their only two mirrorless APS-C cameras selling for the same price.
Two very different cameras, same price, makes lots of sense to me—buyers choice. Although I am not in the market for either, or possible for any camera right now!

Real Name
Leif
Two very different cameras, same price, makes lots of sense to me—buyers choice. Although I am not in the market for either, or possible for any camera right now!
In what way are they different other than cosmetically? I assume it will have pretty much the same sensor, and other features.

One possibility of course is that this is the Z50 II, and they took the opportunity to jazz up the styling. Thus we get better AF, sensor clean, IBIS, a fully articulated screen, and other goodies. If only!

Last edited:
I don’t believe this is real, it can’t be.
I am not convinced that the rumor is true,

I think it is true.

It's not the first week of April.

When Nikon Rumors has gone this far on previous products, they did materialize pretty much as rumored.

I think it will definitely be a niche product which will sell in small volume.

Last edited:
Knobs that lie are worse than no knobs at all.
If they build this they need to disable ALL the internal menus and controls that can touch dial settings.
Like AUTO-ISO that tweaks the shutter speed --- GONE.

This is crippling, error-prone work that results in two UI's that need a LOT of work to get right.
Stupid waste of resources within Nikon

My main objection to this camera is that I think the current Z lenses are anything but retro looking and will therefore look really odd on a retro body, so that alone would probably steer me toward a Z50 if I were looking for a DX camera.

The recently announced Viltrox DX lenses might work, though. One is a 23mm f/1.4, which for me is a very appealing focal length for this kind of camera.

Any speculation on whether those not-quite-announced lenses will have VR?
Viltrox already makes these lenses for other mounts (e.g., Fuji) and I don’t believe they have VR in those cases. But I personally don’t know that a f/1.4 prime needs image stabilization. Nikon itself offers VR in many of its f mount zooms but doesn’t include it in any primes that I can think of ... at least on the shorter focal length primes. I’m now guessing that it’s probably included in the 300 and 500mm lenses, but that makes more sense than on, say, a 35.

Real Name
Leif
I think it is true.

It's not the first week of April.

When Nikon Rumors has gone this far on previous products, they did materialize pretty much as rumored.

I think it will definitely be a niche product which will sell in small volume.
Well we agree on that last point. The online forums I’ve looked at seem to agree that this product, if it exists, is a fail. Of course online forums are not representative, and perhaps it would sell like the proverbial hot cakes. We shall see.

As an aside, I think the problem is that the pace of technological change has slowed to a snail’s pace, which means that many if not most of us see no compelling reason to upgrade. A credible Z70 would see me upgrade in a flash. To be fair on Nikon, it isn’t easy to predict the market.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom