Nikon Zf?

Everyone wants a reasonably priced fixed lens retro rangefinder camera similar to a Leica Q2 or Fuji X100V, but for some strange reason Nikon can't/won't make one. It's almost as if they have a non-competing clause within the industry.

Real Name
Andrew
Everyone wants a reasonably priced fixed lens retro rangefinder camera similar to a Leica Q2 or Fuji X100V, but for some strange reason Nikon can't/won't make one. It's almost as if they have a non-competing clause within the industry.

mans the most popular difference I hear is that people want a 50mm field of view.

but everyone seems to gravitate toward 28mm or 35mm. There are some adapter lenses to get there but nothing out of the box.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I don't understand Nikon's politics.
Instead going old-style, I wish they'll build a Z9 with 60mm sensor...
The mount would be big enough.

Regards
Klaus

Real Name
Leif
Why not?
All Z-lenses are a new range.
I didn't understand they go DX with that large mounting...

Kind regards
Klaus
Nikon is a relatively small company, and making a new mount with a new range of lenses is clearly a massive investment. Creating a new range of MF lenses would hamper their Z transition, possibly fatally. Especially since MF would be a niche market.

Are you saying you don’t understand why they produced a Z50? If so, the answer is simply that a lot of people prefer DX. I’m in that camp, I would buy a Z70, a Z6 has no appeal, a Z7 is too expensive (I’m not prepared to spend that much on a camera).

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thank you Leif for the explanation.

But as mentioned, they're building the largest lens mount and my personal expectation was going in the other direction. Just my thoughts.

I have tried a Z7 for three days and found it to small (thin) for my hands. Mounted the 200-500mm lens it was hard for me to hold the combination in the right hand while walking. I had the feeling I could only hold it with the fingertips.
So I'll stay DSLR with my D700 and D3S...

Kind regards
Klaus

But as mentioned, they're building the largest lens mount and my personal expectation was going in the other direction. Just my thoughts.

I have tried a Z7 for three days and found it to small (thin) for my hands. Mounted the 200-500mm lens it was hard for me to hold the combination in the right hand while walking. It had the feeling I could only hold it with the fingertips.

Kind regards
Klaus
Try handholding the Z6/7 that has the right L-Bracket attached (SmallRig, for example) and you will be amazed at how well it all works!

Real Name
Leif

I have tried a Z7 for three days and found it to small (thin) for my hands. Mounted the 200-500mm lens it was hard for me to hold the combination in the right hand while walking. I had the feeling I could only hold it with the fingertips.

Kind regards
Klaus
I have smallish hands so Z cameras are fine for me, even though I have stuck with my D500. Surely there must be third party grips given that a lot of people, especially men, are in the same boat as you.

I don't understand Nikon's politics.
Instead going old-style, I wish they'll build a Z9 with 60mm sensor...
The mount would be big enough.

Regards
Klaus

I think Nikon has very old school management. Many of their breakthrough products were spearheaded by younger engineers despite opposition from the top (ex: D700). Also they seem to have lost exclusive sensor choice with Sony. With mirrorless taking over, Sony used their head start in the market (while taking advantage of Nikon's indecisiveness) to push their own mirrorless plans. Nikon can no longer demand the latest and greatest like they did in the past.

Real Name
Leif
I won't buy it unless Nikon puts a lever on the top right to cock the shutter and advance the sensor.
Younger forum members are as we speak scurrying to their dictionary to understand those words - cock the shutter and advance the sensor - alongside other confusing terms such as Daguerrotype and Montgolfier Balloon.

Even Thom Hogan seems to believe this rumour, and he may well have inside knowledge that he cannot disclose. (Such as the brand of KoolAid Nikon execs must be drinking.)

I think Nikon has very old school management. Many of their breakthrough products were spearheaded by younger engineers despite opposition from the top (ex: D700). Also they seem to have lost exclusive sensor choice with Sony. With mirrorless taking over, Sony used their head start in the market (while taking advantage of Nikon's indecisiveness) to push their own mirrorless plans. Nikon can no longer demand the latest and greatest like they did in the past.
This management also trickles down into their customer service.
Very strict and almost backwards in their procedures.
Probably saves them $ in the end, but I'll likely never buy from them directly ever again.

Last edited:
Real Name
Mike
The more I think about the new Zfc camera, I think I would like one w/ a kit prime lens as my compact take everywhere camera.

Last edited:
Real Name
Leif
There are more supposedly leaked pictures on NikonRumors.com. It looks real.☹️ A day or so and we will know. (Don’t Nikon always do announcements on a Tuesday, not a Monday?)

TBH, I like the 40mm range (Olympus rangefinders) field of view.....
And on my Z6, my favorite lens is the Sigma ART 40mm :)
40mm is the FL I put on when I want something simple and light for sightseeing cities. I went the Voigtlander 40 route. 28mm on DX is close enough.

If the ZF has IBIS, I'd easily trade my Z50 for it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom