Nikoncafe-Challenge is taking a break....

The Nikoncafe Challenge has been going on for over four years and a total of 70 challenges. We had some very special pictures and winners in this time.

Please feel free to check out the Challenge history: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/forumdisplay.php?f=114&order=desc&page=4

But this challenge can only last if there are enough participants :frown:

Because of the dwindling interest in the challenges, we've decided to let it rest a while. :frown:

Please feel free, to tell us how you feel about the challenges!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's sad. We ask for CC's in other forums. This would be a great opportunity to challenge yourself and think outside of the box when someone puts up shooting ideas. JMHOFWIW...

Sad, I agree. I had been lurking around the forum for months before I joined and started posting. It's a great place for information. I also just started contributing to the challenges, I think it's a great way to express yourself and see what others think of your work as well.

Great, now I feel guilty.... I have entered one challenge and had the best of intentions to enter more but haven't had the time. Maybe I should have made the time.

Hope it returns soon.

I love the challenges, but perhaps a short break is worthwhile. The Holiday season is coming up and people will be busy. Maybe we can do a post holiday contest starting in January that focuses on photos taken starting thanksgiving? that way there is 2 months of down time and tons of great photos.

Regardless I do not want to see the contests go away.

Daniel

Historically if we look at the challenges, its the TOPIC that brings out the masses. Its the same for the collective shoot here on the cafe. While Im at it, the same could go with the prime challenges(January madness,April fools, July one prime and Oktoberfest), they started out strong and fizzled. Anyhow back on point...
Topics should be timely and relevant. Ive seen some CS and challenges take off and others tank. While the host/winner has the prerogative to choose their theme respectively, one should take the time to think how many others will be interested in this? The deeper you push your subjects to think, I have unfortunately seen less participation. In the challenges I remember from the early spring time frame the wildly popular green theme, spring which followed and black and white night shots. I suppose everything has its seasons that come and go and I hope that even though I have particapated in the last few challenges that it continues on here and soon...

I think it's sad. We ask for CC's in other forums. This would be a great opportunity to challenge yourself and think outside of the box when someone puts up shooting ideas. JMHOFWIW...
I actually understood this shorthand...

It seemed to me that participation in the memes, contests and challenges (and galleries for that matter) all waned when so many setup their own personal photo blogs in the 52 week/365 day section.

It seemed to me that participation in the memes, contests and challenges (and galleries for that matter) all waned when so many setup their own personal photo blogs in the 52 week/365 day section.
This is a fairly accurate statement and Im guilty of said offense. The growth of one section at the sake of another.

Real Name
Mike
I also think it is sad that the challenge forum is taking a break. I do realize that lives get busy and we just don't have time to shoot sometimes. I enjoy seeing what ideas others come up with for the topics and how people interpret the topics. I recently participated in one of the challenges and intend to be a part of future challenges (if available). It inspires me to get out and shoot.

Would extending the window for shots to be taken help for future challenges?

I know that sometimes you're not going to get an idea no matter how long you have, but most of the time a bit more time might allow people to get pictures they wouldn't otherwise be able to...

Historically if we look at the challenges, its the TOPIC that brings out the masses.
This is true. When I picked my topic...I actually did some research plagiarism. LOL...I went to my paid photography forum and looked at the past challenges. This particular one had 20 entries. The entries were amazing. So I figured...we all have children...surely we can think of something challenging. I was hoping to see a lot more since I thought it was an easy topic. I'm all for easy. But since this is a challenge perhaps that's where I went wrong.

I've entered a couple of challenges and I had fun. Yes maybe we should make it a monthly challenge. Not sure how that would work, but yes maybe more time is needed.

I, personally, would love to see the challenges come back. I finally set up a flickr account and have started to DL some shots to it. Once done, then I can hopefully contribute some to the NC.

I started coming here mainly because these challenges provide some fun. I have just recently started to submit to the challenges. I started looking forward to each challenge. But this last one, the subject did not fit me and I was a bit busier than normal during this period. So, I passed on it. The one before, I had several of which I could have submitted, but had trouble picking just one to submit.

Please don't assume that one challenge with few submissions means that there aren't many interested...

I'd really like to see something more like an assignment done on a weekly basis. These shouldn't be complicated, just a basic guideline on subject matter or technique. We also shouldn't be afraid to repeat assignments. In fact, maybe it would be best to have a 52-week repeating assignment cycle.

I don't think, however, that the forum format is the best way to handle something like this. It seems like it would be better to set it up as a gallery so that submissions could be viewed by thumbnails or page-to-page. The main gallery could have the sub-albums for each assignment. When an assignment is closed, upload to that gallery is disabled. Comment threads could be started for each individual image. An accompanying forum could be used for general discussion about the assignment. Everything could stay nicely organized in descending date order in the gallery for archiving.

The problem, I guess, is that a gallery would have to host the images locally to the server, rather than using the off-site IMG referencing we do now in the forums. Though, if you limit the size of the submissions, the space requirements shouldn't be too bad.

Anyway, I'd love to see something like this. Interesting weekly challenges would help to keep me more in practice and give me a jump start on creative ideas. Just my $.02

Something I think might make an interesting challenge as well as bringing in a little income to the cafe, would be a challenge that could be put together as a Nikon Cafe calendar. It could begin in December of this year and run through November of next year, with a new challenge each month for images that reflect that particular month. The voting would take place the next month and each months winning entry would be placed in a 2011 calendar which the cafe could sell along with the hats and shirts and things. This would allow people plenty of time to give thought to their ideas and actually go out and execute them. Just a thought.
Joe

I'd really like to see something more like an assignment done on a weekly basis. These shouldn't be complicated, just a basic guideline on subject matter or technique. We also shouldn't be afraid to repeat assignments. In fact, maybe it would be best to have a 52-week repeating assignment cycle.

I don't think, however, that the forum format is the best way to handle something like this. It seems like it would be better to set it up as a gallery so that submissions could be viewed by thumbnails or page-to-page. The main gallery could have the sub-albums for each assignment. When an assignment is closed, upload to that gallery is disabled. Comment threads could be started for each individual image. An accompanying forum could be used for general discussion about the assignment. Everything could stay nicely organized in descending date order in the gallery for archiving.

The problem, I guess, is that a gallery would have to host the images locally to the server, rather than using the off-site IMG referencing we do now in the forums. Though, if you limit the size of the submissions, the space requirements shouldn't be too bad.

Anyway, I'd love to see something like this. Interesting weekly challenges would help to keep me more in practice and give me a jump start on creative ideas. Just my $.02
The collective shoot fits this bill nicely and can be found here... https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Last edited by a moderator:
This is true. When I picked my topic...I actually did some research plagiarism. LOL...I went to my paid photography forum and looked at the past challenges. This particular one had 20 entries. The entries were amazing. So I figured...we all have children...surely we can think of something challenging. I was hoping to see a lot more since I thought it was an easy topic. I'm all for easy. But since this is a challenge perhaps that's where I went wrong.

I've entered a couple of challenges and I had fun. Yes maybe we should make it a monthly challenge. Not sure how that would work, but yes maybe more time is needed.
I think the divide on this one might have been it was senior portrait shooters who might specialize in something like this, as opposed to the large gamut of experiences and passions here on the cafe. Also, I think this theme might have done much better back in late August, early September.This is just my opinion.

Then again even the most seemingly timely theme/topic can fail. As an example, I got to host a few collective shoots last year that I though were going to be awesome. I figured how could a "main street" theme go wrong over the 4th of July with all the celebrations and parades, and then a little later in the month I go to do "farmer markets" which also by participation levels were failures. Its hard to gauge how others will be motivated or not by the topic. I think Ive seen the simpler and broader topic themes like black and white, a color, start with letter"X" and even to crop or not to crop be huge hits where more specifics kinda tanked. Its hit or miss I suppose...

Id like to know what the more active member base that might participate in these challenges have to say. Its us the members that ultimately steer the challenge by participating or not.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom