NikonCafe North California Get-Together: Suggestions Please!

K

Ken-L

:p We're planning a photo-meet: Suggest A Location! :p

• It should be:
    - Interesting for Photos
    - Easily accessible to most
    - Moderate Temperatures
After we get some places suggested, we'll also consider some dates.

scenic005.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
nproad08t.jpg
cb09t.jpg
mc04.jpg
mc018.jpg
cb04t.jpg
tree125.jpg

gho

Hey, how about that strech of PCH that goes through the forest up by San Francisco? I can't remember where exactly, but it was quite scenic.

Hopefully you can pick a foggy day too - I love the bay area fog ;)

Hi, Ken! Thanks for the personal invitiation. To be honest, I'm not much on group shoots, because I've got a bum leg and move pretty slow on nature outings. But I've love to meet you and the other Bay area Cafe-ites in person, even if it's for the wrap up lunch.

K

Ken-L

gho said:
Hey, how about that strech of PCH that goes through the forest up by San Francisco? I can't remember where exactly, but it was quite scenic. Hopefully you can pick a foggy day too - I love the bay area fog ;)

South of SF, PCH runs through Big Sur. Could that be the area? That's south of Monterey/Carmel, and has beautiful coast.

Nepenthe, a nice restaurant with a great views, is up on a mountain off PCH, 30 miles south of Carmel. Family owned - 3 generations.

npthevw-t.jpg
npnthe2-t.jpg

millcreek-bridge.jpg

K

Ken-L

Uncle Frank said:
Hi, Ken! Thanks for the personal invitiation. To be honest, I'm not much on group shoots, because I've got a bum leg and move pretty slow on nature outings. But I've love to meet you and the other Bay area Cafe-ites in person, even if it's for the wrap up lunch.

Uncle Frank, I have a bum back, bum leg, and suffer from terminal laziness. So, whatever it is we do, we will have one group for "hard" and another for "easy". I can take a shot from the side of PCH and not clamber down a hill for a "better vantage point"! For that matter, we could spend the day at Nepenthe, shooting from it's overlooks, or venture out from there. Birds hop right onto the dining tables looking for scraps while you're eating. One year I took shots of fire-fighting helicopters taking water from a small lake just below the restaurant.

npnthe2-t.jpg

gho

Yes, that's part of the journey. I think the "forest" I'm referring to might actually be in SF - I don't know if it might be GSP or not. But anywhere along that streach is so scenic, it's a wonderful photo-op.

I'll prolly go, whereever you choose, as I can stay with relatives up in NoCal area. Maybe you guys can teach me how to take landscapes. Never really been good at it. Then again, I've taken millions of portraits, and still not good at that either, so maybe I'm without hope. But it should be fun anyways.

I don't live out there any longer (I lived in Sausalito in the mid-nineties), but the Tennessee Valley leading to the beach, located at the second exit on 101 north of the GG Bridge offers substantial wildlife, as well as a protected cove. One takes the exit (on the south end of Mill Valley), drives towards Mill Valley, and the valley road is on the first curve headed north.

What's kind of interesting, known to locals, is that if you go the point of the cove on the southern end at low tide, wade around the point, you come to another protected cove. Go to the south end of this cove, and there's a rock literally covered with pelicans.

The pelicans land, fly, fish, and roost around this rock, which is quite definitely photographable from a distance, and approachable, for those with steady legs, over the rocks.

If the group isn't interested in wading and climbing, the first protected cove has tidal pools with waterfowl and waterlife, as well the valley walk with various critters (I used to see bobcats there).

Just a suggestion - I'm nowhere near there any longer - but I used to bicycle over to this area a couple of times a week for the sights. I miss that, but definitely not the Bay Area traffic. If you folks go, post a shot or two for me here on the Cafe, eh ?

John P.

K

Ken-L

gho said:
Yes, that's part of the journey. I think the "forest" I'm referring to might actually be in SF - I don't know if it might be GSP or not. But anywhere along that streach is so scenic, it's a wonderful photo-op.

I'll prolly go, whereever you choose, as I can stay with relatives up in NoCal area. Maybe you guys can teach me how to take landscapes. Never really been good at it. Then again, I've taken millions of portraits, and still not good at that either, so maybe I'm without hope. But it should be fun anyways.

There's I-280 that goes to San Jose, a very scenic route south. In SF, Hwy 101 goes through the Presidio as it comes off the GG Bridge, then through Golden Gate Park. The PCH swings west to The Great Highway, along the beach toward Half Moon Bay.

gho

That's prolly it... Ever since I drove through there, I've wanted to stop by and take some photos, but never got the chance.

But whatever's cool with everyone else is fine by me. I don't even mind shooting birds (maybe you peeps can show me a tip or two :D)

gho

Shoulda put 'Northern' rather than 'North' as most peeps call it Northern/Southern California anyways.

I don't live in the Northern California area, but I visit it often. I would suggest you look at Pt. Lobos State Park and that general area. The landscape opportunities are wonderful.
Mike

fks

hi ken-

glad to see you organize this get-together. i'll cast a vote for a get-together in the city, lots of photo ops there and good food. can't guarantee the weather tho :?

ricky

D

devenh

How about Palo Alto?

1. Stanford University (architecture, gardens)
2. Baylands Park (wetlands preserve)
3. Gamble Gardens
4. Keeble & Shuckat (huge camera store)
5. Restaurants

Deven

K

Ken-L

fks said:
hi ken- glad to see you organize this get-together. i'll cast a vote for a get-together in the city, lots of photo ops there and good food. can't guarantee the weather tho :? ricky

It's hard to go "wrong" choosing SF as the place.......

K

Ken-L

Uncle Frank said:
Have you considered the SF zoo? They have a new environmental area, and there's great opportunities for candids of kids...

Been past it so many times.....but never went. The SF Zoo would be an interesting place!

K

Ken-L

devenh said:
How about Palo Alto?
1. Stanford University (architecture, gardens)
2. Baylands Park (wetlands preserve)
3. Gamble Gardens
4. Keeble & Shuckat (huge camera store)
5. Restaurants
Deven

....and the Stanford Mall....lot's of things to do.

K

Ken-L

We are getting some good ideas.

In a couple of days I'll post a POLL to see how many are interested in the possibles, and some dates.

Most important will be a count of how many we'll be and if you will bring a spouse, or friend, etc.

Latest threads

Top Bottom