1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikons , firmware and noise at high iso ....

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Desmond, Sep 19, 2008.

1. maybe not only Nikons , but anyway I see people comparing high iso shots between the D90 and D200 with no real conclusions that it is definitely better . Now my D50 seemed to do better than the D200 I had for two weeks and the D70S I now own is awful at iso 800 and above - though I think the sensor is not much different between the two .
    So the question is whether it is mainly improvements in in-camera processing that produces the higher iso's that look reasonably clean ?
    if my D50 is cleaner than my D70S at higher iso's mainly due to the firmware , and my D50 looked better than the D200 at iso 800 could I then assume that taking pictures on my D70S in RAW mode and applying the right processing could produce similar results to the newer cameras ?

2. It's not in the best interest for these companies to refine older cameras. Nikon, Canon, etc. want you to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Unfortunately in the professional world, it is a necessity to upgrade especially against competition. Really though, I would love to see camera companies release new firmware upgrades for discontinued cameras.

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I want to see some custom firmware like in the Canon point 'n shoots that enables new fun features and/or processing :biggrin:

4. I know they wouldn't 'fix' the older cameras , I'm just wondering if it is all in the firmware and if I could maybe get decent high iso results from my D70using NX to process them .
    I've seen some tests that show that even though iso 3200 looks good on the D300 , the firmware smears a lot of detail doing so to the point where the 6 meg D40 actually has more detail because it doen't process the noise as much . It's almost as if sensors are not improving at high iso - software is ...

5. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    This is actually my belief as well up to this point.

I believe however, that the noise created on the CCD sensors is different than the noise created on the CMOS sensors. Perhaps they simply hit a roadblock on the noise processing on the CCD sensors and while the CMOS sensors MAY give a better result with the same degree of noise processing, they aren't there yet with the software since they are relatively new.

So, in the future I believe that cameras will have better (perhaps much better) noise processing on the CMOS sensor, perhaps it just hasn't hit that threshold yet to match what they've done with CCD noise processing.

Or, I could be wrong. ;) 

I remember reading somewhere that the main reason they went with CMOS over CCD was the cost, not performance. Not sure if that is true or not though, since I haven't seen it anywhere else.

6. I can never remember which is which but anyway I just had a look at the dreaded KR's shootout between the D300 , 5D , something else , and the D40 . When it gets to "iso 6400" there is more detail in the D40 image than the D300 image [ shot in RAW , underexposed and then bumped up in ps to get '6400']

7. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

1. The D90 in better in noise than the D300.

2. If you have an ISO 1600 raw image from the D200, which has some really dark, smooth. unicolor, evenly lit areas suitable for measuring the noise, pls upload it, I measure it against the D90.

3. Keep in eyes, that the D90 has smaller pixels than the D200. Already equal noise would represent a technological advance of the D90.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.