Nikon's lack of a camera for wedding photographers is puzzling!

Yes, there's the D4, but it's a lot of $$$. Nikon got it right with the D700, but lately, there's nothing.

The D600 is a step down in everyway from a build quality perspective to the D700. Heck even the D800 is built worse than the D700. Also, The D800 is too slow and is not ideal for event photography due to massive files.

Canon has the 5D Mark 3, which is simply amazing minus the dynamic range that Nikon is capable of.

I don't understand why Nikon is sitting on their laurels. It is really difficult for Wedding photographers like myself who is looking to upgrade their camera, or do some video during weddings, to have no option really but to either switch to Canon for the or spend the $$$ for D4.

Why don't they simply take the D4 internals, put it in a D700 body and call it a day? Nikon had the D700 and the D3s around the same time a few years back. They both sold well. I'll bet due to their decision not to offer a fast, well build 16-20mpixel FX camera, the 5D Mark 3 probably outsells the D600 and D800 combined. It's really too bad because people like me are on the verge of switching because I can't walk into a Camera store and buy the next D700 if mine stops working.

Cheaper to go for the D4 than switch systems I think.
And, if you are a wedding photographer, then your D700 calling it quits shouldn't worry you so much because you would have 2 of them in your arsenal. :smile:
I think you just want a new toy and that's okay. :biggrin:

Imho I'd love to see a 5D mk3 counterpart from Nikon too... No flash, more a D4 without grip. Even though I love my D600 I sometimes feel it won't survive various conditions.

It's really too bad because people like me are on the verge of switching because I can't walk into a Camera store and buy the next D700 if mine stops working.
Ebay and Craigslist are littered with D700's, D3's, and D3S's at extremely reasonable prices. I wanted a D800E, but though, "Do I really need 36MP when I can get a D3 for around 18 hundred bucks on Ebay?" Even better, I won one for $1,425. Less than half the price of a D800E. :biggrin:

I'll assume you're happy with the smaller body and build quality of the D700. Why not grab another one used?

D3s is a fine wedding camera in every respect. I'm not upgrading until a see a huge difference in the next model. The D4 didn't have a large increase.

How in the world did I manage to photograph weddings with an F5 or a manual Bronica ETRS?

Wow, film... when the image on the film has to be within the latitude range of the film and is only minimally manipulated.

As I have said, it is the photographer, not the camera.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This threw me for a loop as well. The D800 is a masterpiece IMHO.
To me, the D800 feels a bit less solid than the D700. The rubber, the paint, it doesn't feel as nice to me. But I love the pictures coming out of the D800. It's better than the D3s IMO. That's my problem. I want D700 build quality, with the picture quality of the D800 with less mpixel

I'm looking into a D3s right now. But it's still quite expensive.

I used a D7000 for weddings and have used other bodies from other brands too. I know FF is preferable to some, but even modern crop bodies can do a very good job.

Nothing is better for wedding than D800, with its widest DR. Who is REALLY does weddings, knows what I am talking about. Come on, guys!

If video is what you're after, IMHO it's better to have a camera dedicated to video. I tried to do an event once toggling back and forth stills and video with the same camera, and will never do that again. I missed a lot of photos and my video was mediocre.
Keep shooting photos with whatever makes you happy, and throw one of these in your bag. The BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera with the Olympus 12-50mm (power zoom, macro), and for $1200 you're going to get really great video. I haven't used one, but seen some great samples.

I think a Nikon rant is healthy. I don't believe everything is just butterflies and unicorns! :biggrin:

I was somewhat annoyed that Nikon dropped the fast frame rates after giving 8fps on the D700/D300 bodies. I also can't stand all these mid-tiered plastic bodies. A full mag alloy chassis should be minimum for the prosumer market. Nikon's jpeg engine has also become significantly worst in comparison to companies like Fuji and Olympus. I'd go so far to say that the OM-D beats the pants off the D800 in jpeg rendering.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom