Nikon's Updated Lens Roadmap for Z cameras

I somehow missed this announcement until now.

It is an interesting update, but the three added lenses don't interest me. I just hope the two micro lenses are available soon, and that they won't be too big and heavy.

And I would really love to see a DX 16-80 f/4. But instead it appears we will get an 18-140DX, probably something like f/4 - f/6.3 (just guessing). Sigh...

Last edited:
I'm betting the 400 and 600 primes are intended for the Olympics with the Z9 pro body. Personally, I am (im)patiently awaiting the release of the 100-400, 200-600 and 105 micro. Maybe the 24-105, but I'm really liking the 24-70 f/4 so I'm not as anxious for that as the others.

If the 400mm and 600mm primes are F2.8 and F4 respectively, then surely there is no advantage to the Z mount, and they will basically be F mount optics in a body with a bit more length and a Z mount. The advantage of the Z mount is that you can design optically better wide lenses, and faster lenses. For long telephotos there is no advantage. I could be wrong!

If the 400mm and 600mm primes are F2.8 and F4 respectively, then surely there is no advantage to the Z mount, and they will basically be F mount optics in a body with a bit more length and a Z mount. The advantage of the Z mount is that you can design optically better wide lenses, and faster lenses. For long telephotos there is no advantage. I could be wrong!
Well, every S-line (Z-mount) lens has bettered the equivalent F-mount lens, as far as I know. One can only hope. My glass is half full, and I have another bottle.

Real Name
Andy
Perhaps they are planning a 400mm f/1.2 to utilize the larger flange diameter of the Z mount. Naturally, this will be a svelte and lightweight optic designed to take full advantage of the compact size and weight of the mirrorless body.

Joking aside, I do expect the new 85mm will be f/1.2 though. That would place them well on their way to producing a trio of f/1.2 "pro primes" with the 35 to come next. And regarding the super telephotos, I bet they will be PF lenses, possibly much lighter than the latest F-mount optics at those focal lengths. Thus they would be offering a full lineup of PF optical formulas at 300, 400, 500, and 600, with the odd FLs in F mount and the evens in Z mount.

Last edited:
I'm betting the 400 and 600 primes are intended for the Olympics with the Z9 pro body. Personally, I am (im)patiently awaiting the release of the 100-400, 200-600 and 105 micro. Maybe the 24-105, but I'm really liking the 24-70 f/4 so I'm not as anxious for that as the others.
I think [hope] those longer lenses being added to the lineup may portend better AF performance.....(fingers crossed).
Like you I'm (im)patiently waiting for the 100-400 and the 24-105...this could be a nice 2 lens kit covering 24mm to 400mm.

Couldn't resist.....!! Reality is that you Nikon guys are still waiting for these lenses and in the meantime I own and have been happily using the 90mm, the 100-400mm and the 200-600mm -- and have been doing so for rather a while now..... I would have missed out on a lot of satisfying shooting opportunities and pleasing results if I hadn't taken a deep breath and made the steps to carry through the switch that I did a year ago. To each his own....

Couldn't resist.....!! Reality is that you Nikon guys are still waiting for these lenses and in the meantime I own and have been happily using the 90mm, the 100-400mm and the 200-600mm -- and have been doing so for rather a while now..... I would have missed out on a lot of satisfying shooting opportunities and pleasing results if I hadn't taken a deep breath and made the steps to carry through the switch that I did a year ago. To each his own....
Happy for you but again I don't care. With all due respect, this is a Nikon forum and I just don't need the "Nikon Debbie Downer act" when I come to this terrific Nikon forum.

Will it surprise anyone if I admit that a year later, even after having made the switch and being happy with my current gear, that I actually am still angry with Nikon? I was a loyal customer for many, many years and yet this time, as far as I am concerned, they dropped the ball. I patiently waited when the announcement was made about the new mirrorless system coming, I eagerly looked at all the details after the Z system was announced....and I thought, "oh, cool, I can buy some new lenses and also just use my older ones with this FTZ adapter thingy...." Well, that balloon burst in a hurry. Sure, I could slap one of my older lenses on the FTZ adapter, but....and for me, with aging eyes, this was a huge "but," and a reality slap.... Many of my AF lenses would no longer be AF, they'd only be manual focus on the FTZ. Ehhhh.... A few of my older lenses would not work at all on the FTZ. Fortunately I did my research and learned all this before making any changes in my gear.

I made the switch in systems only after a long period of weighing pros and cons, this-vs-that, and trying to determine what the best move forward for me photographically speaking would be, and I arrived at the conclusion I did, took the steps that I did, and as a result have been very, very happy with the choices I've made, which were right for me.

Others have followed their own reasoning process and are still following their own path, and that's fine, too. We all need to do what we feel is right for us.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
I think [hope] those longer lenses being added to the lineup may portend better AF performance.....(fingers crossed).
Like you I'm (im)patiently waiting for the 100-400 and the 24-105...this could be a nice 2 lens kit covering 24mm to 400mm.
I think it is very reasonable to expect Z bodies with AF improvements that suit fast action photography will be available before, or at the latest, simultaneously to release of the long telephoto primes and zooms. Perhaps the Z 6 II and Z 7 II will contain those improvements. Fingers crossed for that.

Real Name
Andy
Others have followed their own reasoning process and are still following their own path, and that's fine, too. We all need to do what we feel is right for us.
So true.

I do recall your sharing thoughts on these forums before making the switch from Nikon to Sony and there’s no doubt of your due diligence. I strongly considered the switch myself, even going so far as to purchase all the E-Mount adapters to use my vintage lenses on any Sony bodies I ended up buying.

I do believe that my analysis has been quite thorough, and it has resulted in staying with a hybrid F- and Z-mount kit.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom