Nikon's Updated Lens Roadmap for Z cameras

I somehow missed this announcement until now.

It is an interesting update, but the three added lenses don't interest me. I just hope the two micro lenses are available soon, and that they won't be too big and heavy.

And I would really love to see a DX 16-80 f/4. But instead it appears we will get an 18-140DX, probably something like f/4 - f/6.3 (just guessing). Sigh...

Last edited:
I'm betting the 400 and 600 primes are intended for the Olympics with the Z9 pro body. Personally, I am (im)patiently awaiting the release of the 100-400, 200-600 and 105 micro. Maybe the 24-105, but I'm really liking the 24-70 f/4 so I'm not as anxious for that as the others.

If the 400mm and 600mm primes are F2.8 and F4 respectively, then surely there is no advantage to the Z mount, and they will basically be F mount optics in a body with a bit more length and a Z mount. The advantage of the Z mount is that you can design optically better wide lenses, and faster lenses. For long telephotos there is no advantage. I could be wrong!

If the 400mm and 600mm primes are F2.8 and F4 respectively, then surely there is no advantage to the Z mount, and they will basically be F mount optics in a body with a bit more length and a Z mount. The advantage of the Z mount is that you can design optically better wide lenses, and faster lenses. For long telephotos there is no advantage. I could be wrong!
Well, every S-line (Z-mount) lens has bettered the equivalent F-mount lens, as far as I know. One can only hope. My glass is half full, and I have another bottle.

Real Name
Andy
Perhaps they are planning a 400mm f/1.2 to utilize the larger flange diameter of the Z mount. Naturally, this will be a svelte and lightweight optic designed to take full advantage of the compact size and weight of the mirrorless body.

Joking aside, I do expect the new 85mm will be f/1.2 though. That would place them well on their way to producing a trio of f/1.2 "pro primes" with the 35 to come next. And regarding the super telephotos, I bet they will be PF lenses, possibly much lighter than the latest F-mount optics at those focal lengths. Thus they would be offering a full lineup of PF optical formulas at 300, 400, 500, and 600, with the odd FLs in F mount and the evens in Z mount.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom