1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikor 55-200 f4-5.6 VR ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Phyer Phyter, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Any one have any experience and or knowledge of this lens?
    I saw one today and seemed ok for the few minutes I had it in my hands. Plastic mount not metal, seems to me more of a "consumer" type lens. (not that thats bad or anything - to me implies build quality?)

2. gnet158

gnet158 Guest

It’s an incredible piece of glass for the money, if your looking for this range you can’t go wrong (unless you’re a pro). It’s the best $210 I’ve spend on glass in years, the build is very cheap but don’t judge a lens by its mount. Try one, you’ll be pleased.

The only negative thing I can say about the lens is that it vignettes wide open, this is easily fixed in PP or even better NC 4.

3. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    If the build quality and the noisy and slightly slow VR won't bother you, then it's actually a pretty decent lens.

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    the bokeh is very creamy, and it's sharp!

5. Not particularly fond of it? I do value your opinion, as this has many a good review at amazon, but dont know if they have the talent and knowledge or expertise of the wonderful people like yourself here...

6. I get the impression is that it is a pretty good lens for a cheap price. (A little of ya get what ya pay for)

7. Actually, you get a bit more than what you pay for with this one. It's tack sharp from end to end - which really suprised me.

The only drawbacks (like Linda said) is that the focusing speed of this lens is a bit slower than what would normally be expected from an AF-S lens. It's also built rather cheaply...but I'm sure you noticed this while handling it.

8. It did feel a little "Cheap" but I really liked the VR. Seems kinda shame to want to use it on my D300 but I am finding I need either faster glass or something VR and for me this seems like a reasonable (?) compromise. It is discouraging tho as US pricing is around 200 to 220 and in Canada it is 300. Huge difference especially when the dollar has been so close for a long time now.

9. DITTO.... I totally agree with this. I have one that I tuck in my bag while I've got the 17x55 hooked up. It's light, fits the little pocket I have, and takes me to 200mm when needed.

10. Like the complete moron I am, I sold mine.:mad:  If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get another or a 70-300VR to replace it.

11. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Build quality is what you can expect for 200 bucks...

One of my first shot with the 55-200...
    I liked the lens a lot had to sell it to fund the 70-200 though.

Handheld,

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/475310899_1a0dd43949.jpg?v=0

12. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Sorry, I wasn't very elaborate in my wording.

I do like it for what it is, such as bringing it to the Zoo and for vacation shots. Actually, I should probably try to use it more on the kids than I do. It's lightweight, as you probably noticed. And it really is sharp. On occasion the slight delay with VR/Shutter has annoyed me but then....I think I'm pretty picky. lol

13. Just another thought Or am I being paranoid...as I sit here reading the replies I looked over beside me and I have an 80-200 4.5-5.6D lens that I bought almost 10 years ago and hardly used as I found the short end (80mm) too long for indoor shooting and I went out and bought a 35-80 4-5.6D

Now my new quandry is that with the 1.5 crop factor of the D300 I suspect that the 55-200 VR would be similar to the 80-200 that I used on my film body? Hmmm now I am having second thoughts....I am not indecisive....yes I am.....no I am not....I might me.....gawd I am sooooo confuuuuuuuuuuused...

14. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    lol Bill. Yeah those things aren't easy. Where would you use a tele zoom indoors? For sports? I took my 55-200vr out in the yard to test it on my toddler. It did OK, but I had a pretty high OOF percentage.

15. A very good consumer glass and great value.

Here are some examples that I made using it on my D80.

When you need a close up:
    2297592626_d037ff05f2_b.

When you need a medium tele:
    2294887609_c106d6b012_b.

Has a decent bokeh:
    2127487417_5d3f75fb4d_o.
    NIKON D80    ---    200mm    f/5.6    1/80s    ISO 200

Reasonably sharp even wide open (in this case just f/5.6):
    2526196385_fe811b41df_b.

16. I use the nonVR version and yes it definitely is small and plasticky

I use it for Soccer right now - because I need the 200mm and it is all I have right now

I get a fair amount of keepers - I think it is a great deal for the low price

It does have some issues focusing when it is darker

I bought it as a stop gap lens until I was ready to buy the 70-300VR - now I may bypass that as well...see my sig

17. Linda I found the 80 to be too long for people shots around the house. I suppose with the digital slr, tho it is more of a crop factor than it is a zoom factor in close quarters. I kind of prefer close crops for a lot of people pictures so I think I am flip floping. I need (want) to sell my 105 2.8 sigma first as I dont use it nearly as much as I thought I would. I find I just like the versatiliy of a zoom instead of being tied with a fixed focal length.

18. Thanks for posting those. Right now my "walk about lens" is my sigma 28-300 and I Am finding it a little disappointing with my D300. D300 seems a little less forgiving due to the increased pixels plus it is heavier so my keepr ratio dropped. I tried a 55-200VR in the store with a D300 and I liked it but I am a little gun shy as I was a little impulsive when I bought my sigam 105 2.8 that I hardly ever use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.