Nik's new Silver Efex Pro

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by beaucamera, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Has anyone tried or purchased this software yet?
    It's a new offering from Nik Software and employs the same u-point technology that their other products do.

This one features many of the effect that simulate the power of black and while film.
    There's a 15-day free trial if you'd like to try it out.

http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro/usa/entry.php

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  2. H-m-m, interesting Virginia but I have the feeling that the habitu├ęs (denizens of the dark arts?) of this forum are most likely to just go ahead and shoot film. My personal inclination is to go with the natural output of whichever medium I'm using!:biggrin:

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I have Nik Efex Pro 3.0 which comes with about 45 or 50 filters. I use about 10 of the filters...the B&W is really a cool one. Wish they had the silver one...looks interesting.

4. There are already some pretty good b&w plugins for Bibble that simulate film grain.

But the real thing is much more satisfying.

5. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    I have spent too much money on the real thing to want to simulate it. I love mi D80, but I also love my collection of film cameras and like to put them through their paces. :smile:

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I dunno. After this 'one-prime-with-a-film-cam' thing, I might just have to go digital.

7. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    Yeah, something about that grain emulation doesn't feel right to me. With film you get grain, with digital you get noise. Pick your medium and learn to work with it.
    Making digital look like everything else to me just feels like those synthesizers of the 80s...not quite there and 10 years later you'll look back and laugh. Nowadays when musicians want an analog sound they'll use analog equipment, they don't apply a digital 'analog' filter in processing.

Just my opinion though. :smile:

8. How about a test?

I'm wondering if any of you would like to do a test.
    Take a picture with film, then do the same shot with digital.
    Process the digital with a "free trial" of the nik Silver Efex Pro, then post your samples and see if we can see the differences.

I'm just curious to know what you'd find.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. Say it ain't so, Joe!:biggrin:

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Virginia,

Here is a comparison of several BW conversion and emulation programs.

ps, I was kidding Ray. I just got a job yesterday for a complete set of book illustrations that calls for B&W film shooting exclusively! How rare is that? The client wants a vintage look and had been looking for someone to do it in film. I wonder if I should shoot digital and then convert? :Wink:

11. Even if there were absolutely no difference in the digital versions of the images, I would still prefer to shoot actual black and white film.

It is as much about the experience as anything. What film and for that matter black and white film bring to the party up front.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.