NM scenes - Reznick Workshop

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Pa, Jul 3, 2007.

1. I'm finally back from New Mexico and the Reznick workshop; did a lot of travel before coming home. From the scouting day and Day 1 of the workshop, I offer the following:

#1 View east from Los Alamos entry road. D70s, Nikkor 12-24 at 12mm, 1/400s, f/8.

#2 East Fork Jemez River. D200, Nikkor 35mm f/2, 1/45s, f/8.

#3 East Fork Jemez River. D200, Nikkor 35mm f/2, 1/60s, f/8.

#4 Jemez Falls. D200, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/4s, f/11.

#5 Bandelier National Momument. D200, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, 1/180s, f/8.

2. I really like #4. I think you did a beautiful job of shooting it and the post processing (if you did any) is really spectactular. Good work!!!!!
  3. Thanks, Chris. Most of the credit goes to RR. The only PP was a slight amount of levels adjustment on the R,G, and B channels individually (as taught by Ron).
  4. Well, you did a fine job, if I might say!
  5. beautiful series, well done.
  6. #4 is Awesome

I really like #4. I have been experimenting with moving water and you did a great job. I was surprised that you got that much blur on the water at 1/180 of a second. Nice Job.
  7. philstrikesback

Jun 9, 2006
    hi Greg, i believe it was shot at 1/4s (see comment above the image) :wink:
  8. Great work!

I bet you had a lot of fun, but I also bet you are now very tired. Ron definitely has no lack of energy.

9. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice results.
  10. indeed these are very nice Jim
  11. You're right, Phillip; it was 1/4 second. Ron had us experiment by taking exposures at various shutter speeds. He said that to get a smooth flowing effect on a waterfall takes a shutter speed of 1/4 - 1/2 second.

Thanks for the compliments.
  12. Thanks to all of you for the kind remarks. Yes, Geno, I was beat after the workshop ended on the 18th. Actually, Ron and I walked about eight miles and drove 150 miles on the day before the workshop started just checking out possible shooting sites, so I was already tired.
  13. These bring back some good memories. I'm glad to see you are putting his instructions to such good use. All of these are composed, shot, and processed extremely well, Jim.
  14. Larlec

Jun 18, 2007
    northern Colorado
    Hi David and Jim, it was a great workshop and really opened my eyes to how much I have to learn. Ron is a great teacher and thanks again Jim for putting it together. Nice shots.
  15. Thanks, David and Larry. I very much enjoyed shooting and learning with you folks.

Apr 30, 2005
    All of these images have that RR quality to them. Congrats !!!!

17. Enjoyed all of these, Jim, #'s 1 and 4 in particular.
  18. Thanks, guys. The key is in getting the exposure "just so", and readjusting levels for shadow detail. There is very little PP involved.

I'm surprised that everyone likes the waterfall shot. My personal favorites are #1 and #5. But then I've never been a big fan of "smooth" waterfall shots. That is not what my eyes see.