No AF in D-movie mode...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by joey, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Of course it would have been better if AF works in the video mode but it isn't that bad as it is right now. Focus on subjects that stay on the plane of focus, even, if they're moving, isn't a problem. Kids running around would be more challenging but we can use a wide angle lens at f/22 and keep them more or less within the dof. This cam. goes up to isoo 3200 (with Hi-1, 6400). At the resolution of the HD-movie, even iso 6400 would look clean. Enabling us to use really small apertures when needed.
    This is looking better& better to me.

2. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Rob Galbraith claims that the most you can stop down in D-movie mode is f/8. I haven't seen that elsewhere, though.

3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Another reason to buy AIS lenses. Supposedly, the video metering is color matrix mode no matter what lens is used (anyone can confirm this?) with optional exposure locking.

Not having AF is no biggie. Manual focus is the preferred method for pro's for a reason, they call it "focus pulling". Pro's train for years how to manual focus movie cameras.

4. Uh-oh! Pity that. Still, f/8 on a 28mm. lens would give plenty of dof. Moreso since we can move in pace with the subject to keep focus.

5. Hope this comes with some sort of software to edit the movie with the ability to integrate still captures. Anybody heard anything about that? Can't find mention of this on the previews.

6. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Or focus manually, depending on the situation. Remember focus isn't locked, just AF is not active.

A devil's advocate could claim that automating a skill that pros train for years to master would be a biggie ;) . Of course, they train for years because good automation of that skill doesn't exist anyway :) 

7. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

There are several way to shoot video and have it look like it has "amateur" stamped all over it.
    • Camera shake
    • autofocus enabled while filiming
    • moving the zoom while filming (without a REALLY good reason
    • panning over a staic subject.
    • Poor sound quality
    Nikon seems to have designed this camera so that people will have to learn proper focus technique but with no Mic input they have pertty much assured us of poor sound quality. Unless you uhave a mini disc recorders for audio.
    Five minutes does not sound like a long time for video recording but how long do you think film lasts in a movie camera? (35mm film runs at roughly 100 feet per minute) People have done some nice work over the years using movie film. Watch ANY movie and you willsee the 5 minute shots just don't happen.

I can see people buying the D90 just for it's video mode. Where else can you get a 720p video camera with interchangable lenses for $999? If you are shooting for the web this might be the camera.

8. onemorelens

onemorelens

Jul 3, 2007
    california
  9. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    nice article
    it says the 5 min limit is due to heat build up in the sensor
    I wonder if someone uses it constantly, or too often, it will adversely affect the sensor at some point ..??

10. This feature probably wont last long.

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    sure, if you're looking through an optical viewfinder, or with your eye up close to an EVF. even with a 3" VGA screen, it's going to be a little tough to judge focus with an 85mm at f/1.4.

ricky

12. This is a difficult-to-understand feature, technically. Is this video mode meant to be a real alternative to using a camcorder, giving the pro-sumer a movie-making machine? Or is it just a tool for taking quick and dirty shots when the need arrises?

If the former, it seems to lack certain serious requirements like a mic input.

If the latter, it seems to lack certain serious requirements like AF.

I don't know what to make of it. What's more, I don't know if I would want this kind of feature to potentially "clog up" the quality and performance of my DSLR...taking resources away from the ultimate function of my camera.

On the other hand, forcing Sony and Canon to damage their video profits by incorporating video into their DSLRs is marketing genious.

13. It definitely has the potential to eventually replace the camcorder. Not in the way that it is implemented in the D90 right now. In the next models, I'm sure.
    The d90 is an advanced amateur/prosumer/semi-pro class camera. I don't think that Nikon intended the d-movie to be used by mom & dad for casual video of the kids at play. It's much too cumbersome for that. Besides the Coolpix line does that already. Video professionals & independent film makers who possess the skills to use this camera effectively suddenly have access to a system that is professional in quality at a very affordable cost. This camera is hot news for indie-film makers.
    As a photographer, it interest me not because I want to make a video, but because I can now make better slideshows. Mix stills with movie. It has tremendous potential, I think. Only problem is, it'll require a lot of learning for me since I've never done video before.
    I agree that this is an ingenious move from Nikon. In just a blink of an eye, they have suddenly opened up new markets for them where they formerly had zero presence. Video and film-making. Brilliant, I think.

14. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    it's pretty easy once you get a lot of practice with it, especially with the EVF which is a much shallower DoF than the optical viewfinder. not too toot my own horn, but i seem to be able to nail all of my f/1.4 shots perfectly, right on the eyes, in less than a second, using manual focus.

15. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I don't see why they bothered to give it movie abilities.
    If you want to take movies, by a camcorder.

16. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    What camcorder can do true HD 720p resolution? What camcorder ca do shallow DoF, or have the low light capabilities of a DSLR? What camcorder can use fisheyes or extreme telephoto lenses? Certainly not anything near the price range of the D90.

17. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    you are right Phil

but to me photography is a whole different thing than making a "video"

I like to capture a moment in time, not 5 mins of Joey on the see-saw

18. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Very true indeed. Photography is a different art entirely from video. In a way, the video feature is more for indie filmmakers than photographers.

19. The world has changed a lot from the time when the only ways one could show pictures was either through a print, via a projector or slides seen through a lightbox. Images now are displayed in monitors, t.v., internet, digital picture frames in addition to the ones I mentioned above. Digital slideshows are common nowadays. There are many kinds of photographers with differing objectives. Some need only to capture a moment in time, some need to tell a story etc.etc. If I need to present a slideshow on the web composed mainly of still pictures but with added video captures to make the transitions more interesting for my viewers, does that make me not a photographer? If a videographer makes a video with frozen frames to emphasize the action that occurred at that moment, does that make him not a videographer? There is an area between a photographer and a videographer that belongs to both or to neither.
    The addition of movie mode in a still camera does not diminish its capability to take still pictures. It has added to it the capability to do video/movie or TO COMBINE BOTH. It is the last that interests me tremendously as a photographer.

20. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

but i bet they can do it longer then 5 mins.
    my point is this, leave it off a camera.

it's pointless in my eyes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.