No Automation For Us...

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by eng45ine, Jun 15, 2007.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I thought I would post this image in here even though it doesn't depict sports action. For those of you who have never seen a baseball game played at Wrigley Field in Chicago, there is much ambience within these hallowed walls. A huge element of this ambience is the scoreboard, a non-automated scoreboard. It's updating is performed by a few men, who work in relative anonimity....and without significant heat during those cold spring days and without air conditioning during the "dog days of summer". Only until recently, has the electronic signage at the bottom been added to help the organization make extra money through advertising. This scoreboard may just be the very last non-automated scoreboard in Major League Baseball.....take a look and think about the long list of players that viewed this landmark as they played America's national passtime beneath it......

2. I did not know that and that is cool! I love the Cubs BTW

3. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    The scoreboard in Fenway is still manually operated.

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    YEA! My Brewers won..... :)

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Dan, something told me that there was one other.

6. I was gonna say!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Was it '04 when Manny went INTO the scoreboard and was chatting up the guys? Ah, Manny being Manny! :tongue:

7. ayup, see this article. Fenway offers tours where you can go behind it and see how it works and check out all the player's autographs on the walls (and spot an occasional rat).

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'd pay money to see that, at Wrigley, they give tours but you can't get into the scoreboard because access is via a ladder.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I can say the only regular league play i have seen was at the famous Fenway

Shot for a lifetime Frank.
    Nicely done

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  10. When I was in grad school I used to sneak off to a cubs game now and again...saw Ernie Banks hit one out into the street and saw it bounce down a side street until it went out of sight. Wonderful field and wonderful memories. Thanks, Frank.

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My thanks to you both for taking a look and commenting.

12. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Great shot Frank. Yes, I hope Wrigley and Fenway stand forever to be honest with you. I hate it that we as Americans have to tear down something just because it gets old. That is one of the great appeals of Europe is all of their old buildings that have been around for Centuries.

Yes Fenway has a manual scoreboard as well. It's also interesting to note that the team flags flying above it are in the order of the teams standings as of that day. The team on the top is in first place, down to last place on the bottom. If the standings change, the flags are changed with them (even if it's daily). I think that's a feat in itself, as high as they are flying.

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for contributing to my thread Dave, much appreciated.