No! Dropped it.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gt6jim, Apr 17, 2007.

1. gt6jim

gt6jim

Feb 15, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    I picked up my Trekker bag earlier, it was unzipped and the weight of my monopod on the lid made it swing open and my D80 (lens less) fell out and hit the floor from about 1m.

I was gutted!

Im fairly sure its fine, everything seems to work still.

But I have just noticed I've cracked the shell from the strap eye, diagonally under the wheel and up to the flash. Its one of those things that because I know its there I can't live with it.

So what am I looking at? Big bill?

It looks like the top half of the shell can be removed and replaced?

I don't really know what to do?

:mad: :frown:

2. Sure sorry to hear this Jim. I would pack it up and send it in to Nikon service before something gets worse.
    Dave

3. Ouch, I feel your pain. Get it fixed asap before it gets worse, as Dave said.

4. gt6jim

gt6jim

Feb 15, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    I know its a bugger!

Big photo alert....

463268331_ec0a3ac5e1_b.

5. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    man i have dropped and slammed my d50 so many times....

tough little guys.

6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

well, I did this last year at the airport with all my lenses and S2 Pro hitting concrete. I thought the bag was zipped but it wasn't. In my case the entire metal lens mount on the camera came loose. I was totally bummed out.

A few days later I decided to see if I could fix it. Hey, it wasn't going back to Fuji anyway, too old. What's to lose I reasoned? What I discovered is that the 4 tiny screws that hold the assembly on the camera body had come loose. I used a tiny Phillips screwdriver and you know what? It held solid, the threads weren't stripped. I tried all lenses to see if there was any dislocation of the mirror box/CCD or noticeable lens alighment damage and to my amazement there was none.

I did have a body with a few dents now but it still worked.

Moral of the story?

If it still works, and if you can bear a little cosmetic imperfection; I'd just chalk it up to a one in a lifetime accident and forget it. The crack as seen in your pic doesn't look serious to me. I'd run some lens tests and see if the camera is ok. If so you probably don't need to send it in. Just put a few drops of super glue on the crack to seal it.

Just a personal opinion.

7. gt6jim

gt6jim

Feb 15, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    I think I'm coming round to that idea.
    Its still fairly new so its annoying.

But maybe I can send it in when I drop it the next time :eek:

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Dave's answer is your best plan! You may have no internal damage, and find the $ are lower that you thought. You don't want to let this go.

9. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Too bad there isn't a way to seal it.
    yeah, cosmetic damage you can live with, but does it look as if crud/moisture can work in?

It would only cost postage to send that photo to Nikon and ask.

just a thought.

RRRRR

10. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Jim, just take the Bjorn Rorslette approach and forget about it. Bjorn once lamented on some web site that he felt sorry for all the new photographers he came in contact with that were more consumed with the cosmetic look of their gear than using it. He mentioned that ALL his gear was banged up over time, jurry-rigged and held together with gaffers tape, etc. He felt a 'well worn' looking piece of camera gear sort of made you look professional. Cameras are only tools and not some museum piece. As such lenses and bodies do get banged up like any tool.

I have always felt this way about my own gear. Hearing someone like Bjorn state the obvious offered encouragement to me. Hope it does the same for you.

Cheers! Now, get back out there shooting!

Roger, think thick super glue. The crack would be sealed.

11. gt6jim

gt6jim

Feb 15, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    Hmm, on one hand it is £6.50 to get an estimate.

The cosmetic damage I can live with, but the water/dust leakage is a worry.

And whilst the camera is currently ok, whos to say some widget isn't loose? ready to fail in future.

12. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Now your talkin'!

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

It is only money. If you have a spare 150-300 Pounds lying around for a new body shell, no big whoop. It might be a good idea to test the alignment if you're concerned. I was just stating what I'd do if it were mine.

Good luck! And you know what? I bet neither one of us will ever pick up our bag again without first testing the zippers!!! :wink: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

14. gt6jim

gt6jim

Feb 15, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    Nope, I certainly don't have spare £££ for a new/spare body! Thats why its such a big deal.
    Emails fired off to Nikon and local service centre!

15. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Guest

You job - - - - Should you choose to accept it - - - Is to keep us informed...

Sorry about the challenge that you're facing - however, there is no challenge that you face that there's not an answer for - SO - that being the case - what would "I" do were "I" you? - I would send it in - I like what was said earlier about the photographers gear all banged up, and "used" which is what it's supposed to be for - But let's see that same person get his drivers side car door bashed in - It's just a car after all - and see if he doesn't get it fixed :)

Actually - I am in the middle on most things - If you don't fix it, certainly seal the crack, and you'll probably be alright - but if the camera were to get dropped again and the crack become larger, more "damage" may result - who knows....I'd probably send it in...

Brad G...
    OKC/OKLA

16. The crack looks like a hairline. I'd call Nikon UK and see what they'd say. I've heard stories of fixes like this done under warranty or very inexpensively. If testing shows that it functions normally I might think about filling the crack with some epoxy and rub a bit of black appliance paint on it.