No good deed goes unpunished...tripod woes

I just gotta vent this to somebody, and I know ya'll can relate.

I take "refrigerator pictures"; shots at the zoo, vacation snaps, photos of the dawg, etc. I have some decent gear and have been shooting for decades, but it's a hobby, nothing more. Years ago I shot a few weddings and learned not to do that. I also shot some special events for non-profits and learned not to do that too (except for the local Special Olympics, those athletes make it all worthwhile!).

That being said and me being old enough to know better I committed a special event shoot to a local non-profit; they're having a pretty bad year and cannot afford a pro, and apparently the pro photog's can't afford to give their time away.

So it's mostly a black-tie "portrait of the couple" type of thing. Set up a D300 with a decent lens on a tripod, an off camera flash (or two), and Bob's yer uncle. Except...

I've a Gitzo 2220 tripod that I rarely use. As in never. It's been in the photo gear cupboard for a year or so and only been test driven. So...I go down to the basement to sort of set up all of the gear, check the flashes, etc. 'cause the shoot is this coming Wednesday and I'll have maybe an hour at the joint to get everything in place.

I opened the tripod legs, started to raise the center column (no camera attached yet) - and the bolt that secures the center column snapped clean off. I was loosening, not tightening the confounded thing so "too much force applied" wasn't an issue. Amazing. Obviously Gitzo didn't use Grade 8 hardware on the 2220.

It's Saturday, so B&H is closed; I checked Adorama and after some quick research decided the Manfrotto 190XPROB would do in a pinch - except to get it into my hands by Tuesday the shipping was ridiculous. Fortunately I have a reasonably good (if expensive) local camera shop and they came within a couple of bucks of matching Adorma's price and had the Manfrotto in stock.

Murphy's law - I've got the D300 and a D70S backup. I have three or four suitable lenses. I have two flash units. I'll be printing 5x7's at the site and have two photo printers along with spares of ink and paper. Backups up the wazzoo...and the stinkin' tripod broke. :frown:.

The bad news is I'm down basically a hundred and a half; the good news is that, once I get the Gitzo repaired I'll have a spare tripod :wink:.

(Actually I have an older 'pod, but it was for a Minolta X700 and wouldn't trust it with a D300. Makes a nice stand for the SB900 flash, tho).

No good deed goes unpunished. Next time I'll play Betty Ford and "just say no" :biggrin:.

I sometimes wish I had the self control to have only 2 tripods. Keep one in your car. I do, and it sure comes in handy for night shots that I come across.

You couldn't just replace the bolt? :confused:

No, it broke off inside the head; it looks like it will have to be drilled out.

Unit is still under warranty - but won't be if I take a drill press to it :biggrin:.

It really was weird - the last few threads of the bolt snapped off and stayed in the socket. It felt exactly like snapping a crystalized bolt off does - except that I wasn't torquing it down with a wrench, I was loosening it with fingers only, no tools.

Probably with a small E-Z out and some patience the bolt could be retrieved... but I'm not willing to chance it and then have the fine folks at Gitzo tell me the warranty was voided.

The new Manfrotto doesn't appear to be quite as strong as the out-of-service Gitzo, but I think it will do.

Latest threads

Top Bottom