No more boxed Adobe apps/licenses

More about pricing and plans here: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

In summary, for a single application the cost is $19.99 a month ($9.99 per month promo price for first year for existing customers) and for the whole pile the cost is $49.99 per month (promo for first year for existing customers is $19.99 per month).

This just made a decision for me. I need a DAM application, a RAW processor and a pixel editor. Right now I use Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 for those purposes. I cannot afford, as a non-professional user, to spend 50 bucks a month for software. So, I will be abandoning Lightroom, which I think is a superb application, and moving to Aperture. I will keep Photoshop since that is my one essential application. I'll sign up for the single-application first year promo price of ten bucks a month and then hold my nose and pay the rip-off price of 20 bucks a month thereafter. And, to be clear, I am not objecting to their moving to the Creative Cloud delivery method. I AM objecting to high price for someone like me who simply needs Lightroom and Photoshop. To get that via the CC I have to pay the full-freight price of fifty bucks a month. Ridiculous.

Adobe may not feel the pain from this move for a little while since many of us have the latest versions of the existing apps and, unless we need things like the latest Camera RAW updates to support new camera bodies, apps like Photoshop and LR will continue working well after they have been orphaned. Eventually, though, when it becomes necessary to upgrade or migrate, I think there will be a fairly large group of disaffected customers large enough to drive some real competition. Adobe may have won a battle only to lose the war.

Does this mean the end of buying just one Adobe product by itself, as a one-time purchase? As in, if I want to move to the newest version of CS-- in anther year or so, I won't be able to purchase a downloadable version of it? I will have to pay for the monthly/yearly plan?

Home: Columbia, MD, USA; Present: Bogota, Colombia
Doug,

I believe at the present time Lightroom is not part of Creative Cloud. So I think you can still do the "only Photoshop" and Lightroom. Personally I use Aperture and prefer it over Lightroom (when I compared them awhile ago). However, I have pretty much left Photoshop behind once I saw they were starting to move towards this cloud platform. I now mainly use OnOne Software Suite instead of Photoshop for things I can't do in Aperture. Depending on what you do in Photoshop vs. Lightroom there may be other choices for a Photoshop replacement.

Doug,

I believe at the present time Lightroom is not part of Creative Cloud. So I think you can still do the "only Photoshop" and Lightroom. Personally I use Aperture and prefer it over Lightroom (when I compared them awhile ago). However, I have pretty much left Photoshop behind once I saw they were starting to move towards this cloud platform. I now mainly use OnOne Software Suite instead of Photoshop for things I can't do in Aperture. Depending on what you do in Photoshop vs. Lightroom there may be other choices for a Photoshop replacement.
Yes. Just verified. Also posted this in the thread in the Adobe Products sub-forum: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is most likely more of a problem for small business and home users, as opposed to ad agencies and large universities. The good news is alternatives are already available, at way lower prices.

If you need layers for creative compositing, a number of apps support that. And shapes, plug-ins, etc. There are other apps for illustration, page design, web development, etc.

We will live. Adobe may not!

This is most likely more of a problem for small business and home users, as opposed to ad agencies and large universities. The good news is alternatives are already available, at way lower prices.

If you need layers for creative compositing, a number of apps support that. And shapes, plug-ins, etc. There are other apps for illustration, page design, web development, etc.

We will live. Adobe may not!
I suspect there are quite a few folks like me whose uses for Photoshop involve things for which Photoshop is the best tool or, in some increasingly small number of cases, the only tool. Most of my work on photos that come from my cameras is done in Lightroom. However, for serious retouching and for repair of old photos, Photoshop remains the one essential tool for me.

Also, I believe that many of us will be loathe to throw away years of learning and skills as well as the support community of peers and mentors that exists for Photoshop (and not for any of the competitors). When I choose a layer blend mode, I can visualize the results before I click apply. When I apply the handful of filters that I use a lot, I can almost type in numeric values instead of using the sliders. It would be excruciating to relearn all of that and more.

Finally, professionals and serious amateurs may have a serious investment in plug-ins and/or custom actions that streamline their work. Repurchasing the plug-ins would be a real cost and re-creating the actions would take real time and effort.

At $20/month for the single application subscription, my cost to keep and use Photoshop is double the old cost ($199 upgrade every two years or so). My irritation with Adobe notwithstanding, I'll probably pay the gouge as soon as the standalone of CS6 is orphaned.

Of course we prefer PS over all others, but the issue is being forced.

As for plug-ins, other apps can handle many (though not all) of them (and some can be run as standalone, which is great). Actions would be a different story.

This subscription nonsense came around earlier; hopefully alternative app developers have been working even harder toward filling the hole the "loss" of Adobe apps would create.

My wife is a graphic artist, and signed up for the CC. She regularly uses Photoshop, Ilustrator, In Design, Acrobat, etc...... and yes, Lightroom is part of the package. I was glad to see that it was there, even though I haven't learned to use it yet.

My wife is a graphic artist, and signed up for the CC. She regularly uses Photoshop, Ilustrator, In Design, Acrobat, etc...... and yes, Lightroom is part of the package. I was glad to see that it was there, even though I haven't learned to use it yet.
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat... that's exactly the DS (Design Standard) suite. Which cost about $500 (from the top of my head) to upgrade once every 18 months. And now Adobe charges $600 per year for that. Sure, you get a lot more software, for which most designers have little use. This would be Nikon deciding to offer D4's only, for $125 per month for a three year minimum.

"But it's a terrific deal, a lot cheaper than buying," well yes, for three years. But compared to selling your old one and buying a new one every three years (the equivalent of "upgrading") not that much. And especially not if you only want a D3200, not a D4.

There's no doubt that CC offers great value. There's also no doubt that economically it doesn't make sense for a large amount of customers. I'm curious to see what happens when the loyal Adobe customers en masse decide that "CS6 it is, then" and I would not be surprised if that happens.

Yes, CC has seen many subscribers over the past year. I just wonder how many of those were new sign-ups and how many were customers who decided to exchange their "perpetual" license for a "pay double of what you're paying now, per month" license. If the CC product were really that attractive the incentive of "it's the only choice we offer" wouldn't be needed, right? Now we have to see if "pay double of what you paid in the past" is more attractive than "stick to CS6 for the next few years."

Looks like I'll be sticking with CS5 and LR4 for as long as they run on my PC. Count me is one of those who won't pay a monthly fee to use software.... :mad:

Looks like I'll be sticking with CS5 and LR4 for as long as they run on my PC. Count me is one of those who won't pay a monthly fee to use software.... :mad:
For the record, I do not have a problem with the IDEA of paying for software on a subscription basis (you could make an argument that we are very close to doing that anyway.... read your license agreement). My issue is with the much higher cost for the non-business, non-professional user.

Adobe has decided that Photoshop is a "pro" application. Therefore, it is part of the CC suite and, in Adobe's view, this changes the value proposition for Photoshop and justifies the pricing. While Photoshop has never been cheap, with the "perpetual" license model it was possible for folks who weren't depreciating the cost against their business income to still "make do" by buying every other version. Now that is no longer possible. The choice is pony up double (or more) what you were paying previously or fall off the Photoshop escalator.

I would like to see Adobe drop the single-application subscription price in half. The promo, one-year price for the single-application subscription seems about right (ten bucks a month). This would accomodate the serious amateur and still provide a good value for shops that need several of the CS suite applications.

I guess LR4 and Photoshop CS6 will be my last purchase of Adobe products. I am a user and not a pro, nor do I sell photos. Bye Bye Adobe.

I am another one for whom this cloud method simply will not work... simple reason I won't be able to afford it. I am fortunate to have been able to use PS with my educational discount, meaning that I have upgraded roughly every 2-3 years for $200 a pop. I can afford that, but I can't afford the monthly fee. I will have to either find an alternative, or be happy with what I have for as long as possible. I suspect I will buy my stand alone versions of both CS6 and LR4 before they are sold out, and that will be that. Too bad they have priced me out of the market, but I suspect they simply don't care... sigh.

I was just reading more comments on the original article and those who support the subscription model say, well, it's only $20 a month for Photoshop. The it dawned on me that Pixelmator (love it or hate it notwithstanding) is a single $15 and you own it!

ShaunK, that reminds me – I wonder if it would be cheaper to go to college + get an educational discount on Adobe apps than to be a small-business owner and do the straight subscription? That would be funny. Of course, we've yet to hear what Adobe has planned for schools in this situation...

Good question... We will have to wait and find out.
Perhaps if they offer an educational discount it will be more affordable for me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom