No more lust for the 85mm prime

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Apr 13, 2005.

1. As some of you may remember, I was fixated on acquiring an 85m prime lens for headshots. Eventually I bought
    one from an ebay dealer, but it was defective. It took an appeal to PayPal and a 6 week wait before I received a
    refund. The experience was so bad that I shelved the idea of getting an 85mm lens for a while.

Fortunately, my second experience with ebay was much better. I purchased a demo copy of the 28-70/2.8 Nikkor
    from Alkit, and it was just as advertised. I've been trying it out for headshots, and the results have been pretty good.
    In fact, I think an 85mm lens might be redundant. Here's an example... a candid I grabbed today of the eyeglass
    technician at Costco.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank,

Very sharp image. Nice shot. Hope that fillis in the LUST for a bit...Now what did you say about the Nikkor Macro ???

lol

VR VR

3. Fortunately, I already own it :lol:.

4. I'm confused Frank, was the lust for the 85mm, the 28-70, or the eyeglass technician?? :p :oops: :oops: :twisted:

5. Hehehe. Actually, I'm lusting to go to Italy with you, Gordon 8).

6. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Frank, I thought one of the things that fuelled your lust for the 85mm f/1.4 was the desire to totally blur the background. Is the f/2.8 of your new love (I mean the lens people! sheesh) going to scratch that itch for you (I think I still mean the lens)?

Nice shot - cute tech. :)

Neil

7. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Frank,

I'm glad your happy with the 28-70, but to call the 85/1.8, or 85/1.4 an overlapping lens is a bit of a stretch.

Those lenses are totally different in terms of sharpness, bokeh & low light performance.

I think the 28-70 and 85/1.8 could live together in your kit nicely once you learn the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Dave

8. [​IMG]

Hehe, guess which lens.

I agree with Dave. The 85 1.4 is in another class. And while its lowlight performance is good, it truly shines in a studio setting.

9. OK Frank if you will carry my bags and promise not to get in the way when I shoot the pretty women. Of course you will need a pad to get phone numbers, etc. ONLY KIDDING MARGENE (my wife) JUST TRYING TO HUMOR UNCLE FRANK. :roll: :oops: :roll: :lol:

10. No, that wasn't my motive, Neil. Usually, I want to present the subjects in the context of a background, using the DOF effect to differentiate them from it and impart a sense of dimensionality. But if I should want to totally isolate a subject, it's just a matter of picking the right background. In this example, using an ultra-wide aperture to blur a more complex background wouldn't have left enough DOF to keep all parts of this headshot in focus.

I always considered the 85/1.4 to be out of my price range, and was aiming at the 85/1.8. During discussions about it, NB23 pointed out that its bokeh didn't differ very much from the 80-200/2.8, and I think that's true of the 28-70/2.8 as well. But that's jmho.

11. The 85/1.4 is in a class by itself, and if I decide I'd like to allocate that much of my resources for a 128mm FF equivalent FOV lens, I'd have no qualms about it. But from what I've observed, the bokeh of the 85/1.8 is rivaled by the 85mm setting on my 80-200/2.8, and the 70mm setting on the 28-70/2.8 isn't that far off. Jmho.

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. Warning!! - shameless plug following :D :D
    Well UF, if the lust re-surfaces anytime soon (85 / 1.8 ), just let me know (see my ad in the "for sale" forum). It will go eBay, but that might take a few weeks - too darn busy with a current mandate (and not complaining!!).
    BTW, mine is not a dud like your previous experience - it is absolutely pristine!

14. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Fair enuff Frank - put it down to my usual inability to read correctly. :)

Neil

15. WOW, all of these shots are very sharp.............oh no there's that lustful feeling again...............ARGH!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Damn it Frank I have a move coming up and I'm
    trying to save money, but every time you post
    pictures or talk about that 28-70mm I have a
    sinking feeling in my bank account.

Whatever you do, don't tell me you got an
    Epson P-2000. ;)

17. Sorry, Todd. I won't post any more pictures from the 28-70...

... for an hour or two 8).

18. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Uncle Frank,

That has to be the happiest looking couple I've ever seen! That picture wins a prize for 'total joy' :lol:

Gaye

19. Thanks so much, Gaye. Now I'm waiting to see if it won me the prize of being their wedding photographer :) . I took some snaps of them after we had our exploratory meeting, and submitted some samples of my work along with my quote. I was pleased at how relaxed they were with me waving the 28-70 in their faces. If you're interested in seeing more, here's their little gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/unclefrank/carrie_kent