No more PikMonkey......now what ??

OK Nikonians...........I have my photos on Smugmug and they just tell me that they are doing away with the PikMonkey post processing feature. So......now what?? I have to then obtain a software to take care of post processing obviously. Question is..........which is the best route to take for an old (70) fella that doesn't like change? I shoot 98% wildlife and all in jpeg as I like to keep things simple. What road should a fella take.........On1, Affinity, _______ ??? I fully know that this is an elementary question but PikMonkey has done me well for years. Thanks in advance for your direction/advise !!!!!!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Does PicMonkey still depend on using Flash? If so, it has been doomed for some time. Flash is obsolete and Adobe are abandoning the technology. All major websites have either already moved to other solutions (HTML5 etc) or are working towards it. I suspect this is why they have dropped support for it.

It sounds like you are doing the post processing after putting the photos on Smugmug? You need to change to doing the post processing on your computer, and then putting the processed results on Smugmug. You need to say if you have a PC or a Mac, although many work on both.

An alternative, if you want to work entirely online and use something really simple, is to use Google Photos. You can stop using Smugmug and PicMonkey and instead use Google Photos for everything.

Spoonbill

It depends on what you want/need. You don't say why you use Smugmug, but my best guess from what you have posted is that you want to store images online (perhaps for sharing) and want to keep it simple as far as processing goes.

There are probably as many answers as there are people who could respond to your post, but mine are get a Pro account on flickr and give Luminar3 a try. Flickr Pro is great value for money and I use it for things such as family sharing and sharing images that I take on behalf of a local amateur choir.

I don't use Luminar but do have experience with it - my sister decided photography was the perfect retirement hobby but used to spend more time asking me what to do with her photographs than she did on taking them. That stopped when she got Luminar ...

Growltiger, billtills, and WALTER.........what I use is a laptop with Window 10 and yes smugmug uses Flash and that's why it's going obsolete. And yes, I would load the photos on smugmug and then I would process them. And yes, I do want to store images online for sharing as I have a plethora of galleries on Smugmug already and want to keep it simple as far as processing goes. Please keep in mind that I am very computer illiterate. Thanks in advance for your help.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You have two sorts of option.
1. Keep using Smugmug. You will need to process the images BEFORE uploading them to Smugmug. There are many options for what software to use on your laptop, e.g. Luminar as mentioned above.
2. Stop using Smugmug. While you could change to one of their competitors, that wouldn't make much difference as you would still need to process the images before uploading them. That is why I suggested Google Photos. You can leave your existing Smugmug galleries where they are, but upload all your new photos to Google Photos. It includes the sort of basic editing capabilities you are used to. It is perfect for someone who wants simple editing and an easy way to share galleries of images.

Richard and Andrew.........thank you for your continued comments and guidance. I had nosed around in Google Photos and will look at Polarr to see what I can get done. Thanks again.

Consider taking the time to learn some basic photo editing on your own computer with a relatively easy and inexpensive program like Adobe Photoshop Elements. You can then upload your edited photos directly to smugmug.

It may not be as daunting as your fear, and you may even enjoy the process. There are lots of tutorials online.

Mitch...........thank you for your plain and simple incite as I am not that computer literate. I will be going to our little camera shop here tomorrow to see about taking some one on one classes and by getting into Elements I would be able then to slide them onto smugmug. Sounds simpler to me and less daunting. I'm now starting to be "less afraid" of change. Thanks.

steveo.smugmug.com

Real Name
Ken
A real KISS approach if you only do light editing is Canon's Irista. The free account provides 20GB of storage. Something to consider.

--Ken

Top Bottom