No more weddings

I've just finished editing my last wedding & I feel liberated. After 12 years it felt like it became a job (chore) instead of being enjoyable. Has anyone else had this experience?
Don't get me wrong, it allowed me to have some of the best gear available, more than a lot of people get to use. I want to get back to photography as a hobby, for my own enjoyment, instead of the cameras staying in the cupboard between weddings. Yeehaw !

Yep , I understand .....
Was so excited during my Utah/Arizona trip I late April and knew when I got back that I had a craft show 2 1/2 weeks later and needed to get my editing, photos and website done before the show and it really turned into a chore instead of fun .... Really did turn into a job so no shows until fall ....

Ron

When it's for free it's a hobby, when you get paid it's a job. Hobbies are almost always more fun than jobs.

I'll gauge everything after a 2 day bridal show in August, but it's not as much fun as it used to be, and the equipment certainly isn't getting any lighter.

It is demanding & you can't afford to make any mistakes. While I was still using film was worse, you never knew what you had till you got the prints back. At least with digital you can chimp now & then to make sure.

I have never shot a wedding for pay (did a couple for free as a favor), however, I have a friend who spent many years doing wedding photography. He stopped doing weddings about 15 years ago, and hated weddings so much that he has never since stepped foot in a church. Even if invited to a wedding as a guest, he will not go to the church.

I do not take photo jobs for pay because it is one of my few hobbies, and I do not want to lose it. I have few enough things that I enjoy doing.

I am glad that you are going back to the hobby, I hope you reacquaint yourself with the joy that got you started. Best of luck.

I did one, for a friend's son, and said NEVER AGAIN! Give me nature, landscapes, and my southern resident orcas :smile:

Carole

Orcas are cuddly compared to some of the mom-of-the-bride-zillas I dealt with. Give me a cranky grizzly bear fresh from his winter nap any day.

Did weddings when I was younger (with film!), moved on in life and then did some when I took early retirement from HP. Soon remembered the pain and gave it up. It was either walk away or risk prison time for a "disproportionate" response.

I was in the business for several years during the film days/beginning of digital. I got out of the business for many of the reasons mentioned by others (overly demanding mothers of the bride, lack of fun, etc.) Last year a friend of mine partnered up with me to earn some cash, but it has been nearly impossible to get any bookings. Despite my low prices, multiple years of experience and Photoshop skills we just can't seem to land any clients. :frown: Ironically, before I "hung up the cameras" last time I was swamped with clients.

If by the end of the year I don't see any bookings I'm simply going to give up and sell off my duplicate equipment.

I did one, for a friend's son, and said NEVER AGAIN! Give me nature, landscapes, and my southern resident orcas :smile:

Carole

I guess that Great Minds Think Alike, Carole. :biggrin:

I did one - also for a friend's son - and wouldn't want to make a habit of it. I also prefer nature and landscapes, but there aren't too many orcas around here....

I had a hobby many years ago that I turned into a job. I ended up hating it, so I've been careful not to do it with photography. I hope you have many fun photo shooting adventures now that you are liberated!!

I had a hobby many years ago that I turned into a job. I ended up hating it, so I've been careful not to do it with photography. I hope you have many fun photo shooting adventures now that you are liberated!!

Thanks Terri, I'm looking forward to not having any artificial editing deadlines. I also won't miss setting up a shot & then competing with guests getting in the way with their point & shoots :redface:

I could be happy shooting second.
Lots of shooting, none of the editing. :smile:

I've been shooting weddings for eight years, part time. One year I did fourteen but an average was around seven. This year I've only done one and don't have any more scheduled, mostly because I quit advertising.
It's time to make the big decision.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
My motto is "shoot nothing that can talk back and have an opinion." I've shot two weddings; both for friends. I will never do a wedding again.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom