No Picture...Senior Portrait Question

Discussion in 'People' started by Seneca, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Today I will be taking some senior portraits of a young man. We originally had it planned to take them here at my house...but now they want to take pictures at their house.

Does anyone out there have a website of senior portraits I may look at? I just need some ideas of a casual setting.

I realize this is probably not the right place to post this question...but this is the room that hops the most...so if someone can please help me...I would grately appreciate it.

Seneca:smile:

2. Senior pictures will many times involve things that the boy (girl) is interested in. An image posed with his car, tennis racket. ball glove, studiously reading a book, etc. Shots in nature with a tree, brook, dog, etc., will work well. If he wants one taken in the house I suggest that you make it a close up with the background thrown out of focus. I like to pose them on a stool or sitting backwards on a chair. The garage works well for this, just open the door and put them just inside it. The light is soft and makes for a nice image.

Getting them to relax is the key to good youth photos. Perhaps a picture of him at the workbench making something (it takes their mind off of themselves). Any number of things could be used as props around the house. A relaxed photo will be a good photo so find something that will help you do that. Good luck.

3. bryan

bryan Guest

I used to take Senior Portraits for a company called Prestige Portraits, you may find some good examples there... like the last guy said, the most important thing with shooting Senior Portraits is getting them to relax... both you and them want a portrait that portrays who they are at this point in their life...

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thanks Greyflash...and thank you so much Bryan...I will check to see if I can find a website for PP.

5. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    As Gordon stated the key is to try and spend a few minutes to an hour getting to know the kid and allowing them to become comfortable with you. Easier with some kids than with others.

Here are a few I did last weekend:

In my driveway:

450766339_6100d2aa79_o.

450223466_78bab7a11f_o.

In my garage (garage lighting which means lights off / door open)

450025243_939b19278e_o.

450057795_7d805c2d2e_o.

6. Driveway and garage huh..... I need to throw in the towel...

Really nice shots Stuart!

7. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Brian....glad you like the shots, but really this is easy stuff and that was supposed to be my point; along with providing some examples/ideas.:smile:

If you know how to work the camera for exposure and DOF.....which you do.... there's nothing to this stuff. I think the two trickiest parts are getting the student comfortable enough to relax a bit and be themselves and the PP involved. This kid is very handsome, but he has typical 18 year old skin so lots of healing tool work.

He brought his best friend which helped too. His buddy stood behind me and got him going and after a few minutes he was having a good time and actually enjoying the shoot.

When his mom saw the proofs she said that they were much better than the stiff photo's they had gotten from the pro studio and that I had managed to capture the "kid they know". That really made me feel great!!

As for lighting....garage lighting is way easier than studio lighting!!:smile:

I use the 70-200vr at f/2.8 to blur the background of the garage and I shoot from a tripod.

The coolest thing about senior portrait work is knowing your are creating photo's of a young man or lady at an important turning point in their lives and if you give the family something they love......they will be displayed proudly for many years. It's a great feeling.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2007
  8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    OHHHHHHHHHH MY GOSHHHHHHHH...what wonderful work you do. This is exactly what I had in mind...you read my brain. Thank you so much...wish me luck tonight. I will be there around 6:00 pm CST. I am very comfortable taking this kid's picture...he's a very handsome boy and very photogentic...so I'm excited about doing this shoot.

Thanks so much...all of you for the advice.

9. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I hope things go well for you!! Hopefully you will post a pic or two so we can see the results.

Thanks for the compliment.......these were a lot of fun to take and to work on.

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You can also have them look through magazines and such and find something that appeals to them. That will sometimes help relax them.

81735663-O-1.

11. SandiG

SandiG Guest

Good Luck

I have some here, don't know if there are any ideals for you. I shoot outside or in an extra room with a large south window. I don't always like the name on them but that's what they want.
    Good Luck again
    Sandi
    http://www.pbase.com/sandig

12. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO