No thoughts on upgrading

I have been rereading Brassai's "the secret Paris", admiring his work, at night in the 1930s using (I am led to believe) a Voigtlander Bergheil.
https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Paris-30s-Brassai/dp/0500271089

It is phenomenal with the technology available at the time.
However to people of our era, it is clear that he faced serious limitations in terms of low light and had to restrict himself to static poses or super long exposures (crowds disappearing from the shots).
These are great pictures but he could not document people walking around at night.
And he had to incorporate blurriness into his art.

And that drives the question, do our "standards" and tastes for what we consider art change as technology advances, or is technological advance driven by "advances" in art?

Besides, blurriness is much in vogue these days!
I was thinking along the same lines.
It took a while for audiences to appreciate the moving pictures.
Then the talkies...
3D never did take off...

I was thinking along the same lines.
It took a while for audiences to appreciate the moving pictures.
Then the talkies...
3D never did take off...
Avatar is the second highest grossing film of all time . . . (despite that fact I still think it is a pretty middling film). But yeah, I think there have only been scattered uses of the medium since then.

At the same times, Van Gogh sold only two paintings (and allegedly some drawings) during his lifetime.

Avatar is the second highest grossing film of all time . . . (despite that fact I still think it is a pretty middling film). But yeah, I think there have only been scattered uses of the medium since then.

At the same times, Van Gogh sold only two paintings (and allegedly some drawings) during his lifetime.
Right but Avatar is seen by millions of paying customers at a time while Van Gogh sells to one person.
No economies of scales.
I saw Avatar 2D personally. Most of the 3D movies I saw did nothing for me.
What you have to look at is the number of 3D movies released over time.
That was just an example.
I could take 3D TVs, curved TVs...
That technology did not really lead to a new art form.
VR is trying hard and maybe this will lead to new art.
It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that the evolution of cameras has been vlog and drones.

I just watched a short video about John Sexton, one of Ansel Adams' assistants/protégées. He pointed out that he'd used the same paper for over 20 years, and the same film for almost as long—giving him the opportunity to really know his tools. He bemoans the rapid advances in all things digital that prevent such a prolonged, patient and dedicated learning today.

I just watched a short video about John Sexton, one of Ansel Adams' assistants/protégées. He pointed out that he'd used the same paper for over 20 years, and the same film for almost as long—giving him the opportunity to really know his tools. He bemoans the rapid advances in all things digital that prevent such a prolonged, patient and dedicated learning today.
He has a point there.
Also as I age I find my brain less enclined to learn new technologies and more comfortable with incremental learnings in topics I am familiar with.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom