No VR with my Z7 and 24-200

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I mounted my new 24-200 on my Z7 and the VR is set to off and is greyed out too.

Does anybody know how to get the VR working please. I have Firmware V1 still, but I see no mention of this lens in the firmware updates.

Thanks in advance.

There was the same problem with the DX-Lenses when they came out. I informed Nikon, they responded within one day they are aware of the problem and will issue a firmware update for the Z 7. They did within one week and everything was fine.

-> inform Nikon

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
There was the same problem with the DX-Lenses when they came out. I informed Nikon, they responded within one day they are aware of the problem and will issue a firmware update for the Z 7. They did within one week and everything was fine.

-> inform Nikon

Good Idea I have just done it.

The 24-200 has VR on the lens. I do know that with F-mount lenses, if the lens VR is switched off, the camera IBIS is also set to off. However, the 24-200 has no switch.

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 14.40.28.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Thanks for the replies.

Updating the software to V3 solved the problem. I have never updated a camera firmware before and it was much easier than I thought, compared to some Windows software updates.

I made the mistake of reading the update items for each firmware version. Nikon did not mention that they had updated the firmware to make the 24-200 work properly.

The 24-200 came out later than the latest FW-Update for the Z 7, so it couldn't be mentioned there.
Probably same problem like the DX lenses, so the fix in V2.10 for these applied also for the 24-200.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Interested in the answer to this. I find it hard to believe that Nikon would release the 24-200 and it doesn't provide VR!

As you can see above the answer was easy, but not obvious. I am not used to firmware having an effect on lenses.

Nikon could do better with the Firmare update history. I am used to my Engineering software listing every last item that has been updated or fixed.

For those who have never done it, or believe that if it works it does not need fixing, The Firmware update is quite painless.

Real Name
Paul
As you can see above the answer was easy, but not obvious. I am not used to firmware having an effect on lenses.

Nikon could do better with the Firmare update history. I am used to my Engineering software listing every last item that has been updated or fixed.

For those who have never done it, or believe that if it works it does not need fixing, The Firmware update is quite painless.
Having had an Olympus camera for the last 8 years I'm totally used to firmware updates ! First thing I do when I get a new camera (or lens) is check the firmware.

As to listing bug fixes - I have a Tesla and that gets a software update about every 2-3 weeks. Every single release introduces new bugs that are usually fixed in later releases - but the release notes NEVER say what's fixed.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Having had an Olympus camera for the last 8 years I'm totally used to firmware updates ! First thing I do when I get a new camera (or lens) is check the firmware.

As to listing bug fixes - I have a Tesla and that gets a software update about every 2-3 weeks. Every single release introduces new bugs that are usually fixed in later releases - but the release notes NEVER say what's fixed.

I had an EM5 for 6 years. I never updated the firmware.

It worked fine, and perhaps being used to the software I use for work, each update usually brings some new problems.

Still this is new for me, a lens that requires the cameras software to be updated.

But it is a whole lot better than when I mated a Panasonic 12-35 2.8 (the only 2.8 zoom available at the time) to my EM5. The only way to avoid horrible green CA effects was to shoot Raw in DXO which proved to be the only software capable of removing the CA's automatically.

Or the 16mm AF Nikon Fisheye that I bought too yesterday. I plonked this "ancient" lens on my D800 (which I keep for "old" AF lenses) and it worked perfectly.

Real Name
Paul
I had an EM5 for 6 years. I never updated the firmware.

It worked fine, and perhaps being used to the software I use for work, each update usually brings some new problems.

Still this is new for me, a lens that requires the cameras software to be updated.

But it is a whole lot better than when I mated a Panasonic 12-35 2.8 (the only 2.8 zoom available at the time) to my EM5. The only way to avoid horrible green CA effects was to shoot Raw in DXO which proved to be the only software capable of removing the CA's automatically.

Or the 16mm AF Nikon Fisheye that I bought too yesterday. I plonked this "ancient" lens on my D800 (which I keep for "old" AF lenses) and it worked perfectly.
Would be interested to see some example images off that 16mm lens. I'm mulling over the 8-15 vs the 16 prime.

Latest threads

Top Bottom