Noct 58mm 1.2 for sale on local ATL CL

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pho/3773338899.html

This is not mine and I am not selling it nor do I know this person.

I saw this was was just like I have to post this. i never see this thing for sale anywhere lol unless its an old expired Ebay link..

If this isn't allowed then i apologize and it can be deleted, I just was awe struck seeing this lens on a local CL section.

its kind of funny because this person in the CL ad had another ad that had several pro grade lenses like:

17-35 2.8
14mm 2.8
58 1.2
70-200 2.8
85 1.4

and then said i'm only a hobbyist and I'm getting out.

for the noct he said "I'm a hobbyist, not a professional, so most of my equipment has barely been used and I take very good care of my gear. I'm just not using it enough to justify keeping it"

who buys a 4k+ lens and never uses it? i don't understand some people.

how do you have that much money to just lay down on gear that you don't use? thats like buying a car and never driving it. Don't people care about their money?

Reminds me of people that bought D800's when they came out and then posted them for sale with "its just too much camera for me" :rolleyes:

its all relative man, $4k to him may be $40 to you, being a hobbyist does not label him as having a mere modest income. Shouldn't bother you, let the guy live, lol.

its all relative man, $4k to him may be $40 to you, being a hobbyist does not label him as having a mere modest income. Shouldn't bother you, let the guy live, lol.

Very true, they may be a DR that makes 200k+ a year and this stuff is a drop in the bucket lol.

It's just so hard to see and grasp that there's people out there than can just throw money at this, never use their equipment and just shrug it off.

I got my Noct off a craigslist ad myself

thought it was a scam

when I heard the price via email contact
I really thought is was a scam

turns out a regular guy, who was just flipping lenses and not out for the big score
mint condition, just no ugly hood

my best buy ever, by far

I got my Noct off a craigslist ad myself

thought it was a scam

when I heard the price via email contact
I really thought is was a scam

turns out a regular guy, who was just flipping lenses and not out for the big score
mint condition, just no ugly hood

my best buy ever, by far

I mean did you pay 4k+ for your noct? (you don't have to answer lol)

it must have had to be a great deal to catch you off guard like that.

there are poor hobbyist and there are rich hobbyist .........
dont see any problem there .....

theres nothing wrong with being a hobbyist..

i was just noticing how some hobbyist spend so much money (and they have every right to spend their money as they see fit) yet dont use their gear much or sometimes at all.

I always see people posting up expensive gear and they will say in the ad:

"purchased this a year ago and it has sat in my closet collecting dust"

doesn't matter how rich or poor you are, who spends that kind of coin to let something they love just collect "dust" in the closet

A little OT, but would Voigtlander 58 f1.8 be very close to Noct except for 1.4/1.2 difference? It probably does not make any sense for a working pro to drop $3,000 for Noct now when we have high ISO bodies and modern computer designed lenses. It make alot of sense for an amaturer / hobbyist. They buy things because they like them, not of necessity.

I hear you, Sean, about the whole hobbyist thing... it can be tough for me to swallow sometimes when I struggle to save for months and months just to add a modest lens to my lineup, and see others buy and sell high end gear as if it were nothing... but that's just the way life is, and I am over any jealousy and just glad to have the great gear I do, and a very very very understanding wife! :tongue: More power to that guy who realizes he doesn't use it, and is getting it back out there for a chance for someone else to use! :smile:

As long as there's an active Noct thread I guess I should mention that Adorama currentyly has both an ai and ai-s version for sale. While still as expensive as Nocts are they're a bit cheaper than the first one posted.

A little OT, but would Voigtlander 58 f1.8 be very close to Noct except for 1.4/1.2 difference? It probably does not make any sense for a working pro to drop $3,000 for Noct now when we have high ISO bodies and modern computer designed lenses. It make alot of sense for an amaturer / hobbyist. They buy things because they like them, not of necessity.

While it's all subjective opinion, the only photos that I've seen that I think comes close to a Noct's rendering is from a good copy of the new Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens. YMMV

I have a couple of friends who buy cars and never drive them (and not cheap cars either! :eek: ) Some people just like to "buy" stuff. nothing wrong with that if they can afford it, just livin the life while you still can :smile:

If I'm in the market for one, I'd snag that Noct. It's one rare lens with unique rendering. I don't like manual focusing though.

While it's all subjective opinion, the only photos that I've seen that I think comes close to a Noct's rendering is from a good copy of the new Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens. YMMV

As you saying, opinions are subjective. I'm sure that new version of Sigma 50 F1.4 will most likely be even better than the old one and will likely be better than Noct. It does not matter which brand or which lens. My point is that some (many) modern lenses come very close to Noct in IQ for a fraction of the cost, and some modern lenses are (will be) better than Noct. If you are a professional and need a tool to do a job, you will likely give serious consideration to the cost/benefit ratio before going for a Noct. If you are hobbyist / amaturer / collector, than you may want to buy a Noct just because this lens has some “je ne sais quoi”.
Of course, some people have much much more money than others, so they can drop 3k on a lens without thinking twice about it, but those people likely not pay their rent from selling pictures, so you can't strictly say that they are working professionals.
Having said that, Noct is a beautiful lens. I wish I could buy one some day.

The Noct is quite unique in many ways. I am not sure what professional would need one unless you are an astronaut. Still it is a great lens for terrestrial use and the value keeps climbing. I bought mine several years ago for $2000, less than half of the CL lens. Even if I sell mine for only $3000, that is still more than the money would have earned in a bank and I had years of fun with the lens. My "professional" lenses always seem to lose value when I trade in.
Pete

BTW, the D800E + NOCT = WOW!

The Noct is quite unique in many ways. I am not sure what professional would need one unless you are an astronaut. Still it is a great lens for terrestrial use and the value keeps climbing. I bought mine several years ago for $2000, less than half of the CL lens. Even if I sell mine for only $3000, that is still more than the money would have earned in a bank and I had years of fun with the lens. My "professional" lenses always seem to lose value when I trade in.
Pete

bingo

Latest threads

Top Bottom