Nodding Ladie's Tresses (orchids)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    When most folks think of orchids they usually have in mind the large, showy orchids from tropical climes or perhaps temperate region lady slippers which are also quite showy. However, in temperate regions there are a number of orchids which are small and rather inconspicuous. These have their own "personalities" nevertheless. A case in point is the genus Spiranthes (common name: Nodding Ladie's Tresses). While wandering (and wondering) through a local woods yesterday I ran across over 100 of these tiny orchids, just beginning to flower. In the first photo I shot with some depth of field in order to clarify some of the habitat in which these plants grow and the plant habit with the spiraled arrangement of flowers. The second photo is a closeup of the very tiny flowers. Note the flowers and the stalk are quite fuzzy so these are not oversharpened intentionally. Not awfully interesting but perhaps educational. THINK SMALL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jerry,
    that is a gorgeous flower, very delicate. I would love to see this....In person that is :>))))
    thanks

3. Here in th UK we have 3 species of Spiranthes. Two are rare , and one is not.

Spiranthes spiralis, ( Autumn Lady's-tresses) is out now. I can only agree with you as to the beauty of Europe's Wild Orchids especially those of the Ophrys and Orchis Families. I have numerous photos of them on slide film and they are one of the things Pam and I look for when we go to France. This year it was the Lizard Orchid ( Himantoglossum hircinum ) that were out in profusion.

BW. Bob F.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Curious....

You printed up the first one.

How did they like it.

Like the second one because it shows how really beautiful and delicate they are.

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Gale,
    Usually when such a request is made (and fulfilled) it is frequently accepted that no further discourse will occur. This is a common understanding between the understaffed county park system folks and those who volunteer. Nice parks, nice folks, and provides me a chance to walk in the woods a lot!
    Thanks for asking, however.