Noise Reduction "Challenge"

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by sjlarue, Oct 3, 2008.

1. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    From a recent thread, a request was made to post pics to compare noise reduction software:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=190799

Well I think that we could do one better. The problem with everyone submitting their images is that there are different images with different properties and not one or two images to compare one with another.

A better way to compare programs is to have one or two images and then run all of the noise reduction software on those, to make a true comparison.

Here is a recient image that I did:

BluebirdNoise.jpg

Feel freee to run your noise software on the image and post the results.

For those who would like to go off of the original image here is a link to the image, go ahead and use it. The file size is 2mb.:

http://www.sjlarue.com/BlueBirdOriginal.jpg

Here is my Neatimage try:

BluebirdNoiseless_1.jpg

If someone would like to post another image for everyone to try their hand then go ahead.

Let the Noise Games Begin!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Using the NR panel in Topaz Adjust...

104007088.gif

3. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    Noiseware (pro, standalone): default values.

2909599116_491322541e_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  4. Noise Ninja

All Defaults

[​IMG]

5. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

NoiseWare Community Edition (Free). Set to Stronger color noise:

BluebirdNoise_filtered.gif

6. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Anyone like to post another image to compare. Admittedly mine has a LOT of noise, to the point where getting a sharpened bird is almost pointless. That way we can get another comparison?

7. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Here's my sample from Nik Software's DFine 2.0

[​IMG]

8. The problem is that the JPEG you provided already has strong sharpening applied, with the effect of sharpening the noise too! For best results, shoot in raw, turn off (or lower significantly) sharpening, apply NR, and then sharpen.

Sure, at web resolution, as posted in this thread, the noise seems largely removed with all the software mentioned, but the loss of detail is very significant, IMHO. You can achieve better results, by applying less NR, when the image is not sharpened as much to begin with.

9. True. But it was too late for this sample, so my approach was to only use NR on areas of the frame where loss of detail wasn't important. I applied the NR to a duplicate layer, added a layer mask, and "painted out" the NR on the bird and some of the larger branches.

10. That's great Frank. You always find ways to make (good) lemonade... :wink:

11. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Great thread!

Now can any conclusions be drawn as to which s/w program is better?

Also, I agree with Frank. Some way of masking or selecting needs to be done to keep detail in the image.

Do any of the s/w programs allow selective NR?

12. One way or another, they all do. But it's really easy if you're working with a Photoshop plug-in NR program. I described the steps in my post to Philippe, but can elaborate if you wish.

13. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    No noise at all!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. I admit to laughing. :)

15. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Ok, I may be doing something wrong, but I can't hear the bird making any noise, should I have my speakers on? Sounds great to me. ;)

In all seriousness, it is amazing what these software packages can do. Great work evaluating them.

16. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks, guys, you've made my lunch! Wife was reading me off the comments and I'm sitting here laughing.

I still have the raw of the bluebird, so I might repost the picture without the sharpening.

17. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem

Not from this thread, because we haven't all followed the same rough criteria for noise reduction. It's not really an apples to apples comparison of products, even though we've all used the same image. Some of us just used the basic program defaults, others did a bit more processing.

18. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Original and Questions

The link below the web pic is the original picture. I have replaced it with the original Raw without sharpening....It didn't really help much but that could have just been my quick try at it.

Here is link again: http://www.sjlarue.com/BlueBirdOriginal.jpg I had to post it on my home page because of the size and resolution. The only thing done was a crop done way back when.

That is kind of what I wanted to do here. I want to have some kind of image compairison so that when someone wants an "apples to apples" comparison we can give it to them. All the previous threads have something like: "I like this one and here is a picture that I did." None have here is an image and this is what each NR software does on this image.

So what is the best way of doing this? What sort of image should we use? maybe a picture of a color sampler card (I don't have one so someone will have to supply one.) What sort of critera should we use?

19. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I think the image is fine and so is your intent. Unfortunately, there was no direction as to how to apply noise reduction, or not to do other PP. It could still work. Just specify what you want from the participants (e.g. default noise reduction with no other post processing).

20. Hopefully one where the subject is in focus.