Noise reduction software?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by LindaZ, Aug 12, 2008.

1. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I know there is Noise Ninja - is it worth paying for? Any other choices I should look into? If they're easy to use, big plus.

2. I have used NeatImage for some time, but switched to Noiseware Pro (Imagenomic) about 1.5 years ago, because it is 3 times as fast and (IMO) preserves detail better.

Cheers

3. I've tried Neat Image...it worked pretty well.

4. I am very happy with the Paid for version of neat image - works as a filter in photoshop - I have never used noise ninja so cannot compare

5. I am big fan of Nik Dfine. Actually, I am a big fan of most Nik software.

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for all your help...and the link Karen, I'll read that right away.

8. Owning a D300... do you really need a noise reduction software??:eek: 

Rui

SB-800, TC Kenko Pro300 1.4, Manfrotto 190MF4+804RC Head

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

9. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    You do when you shoot at ISO 400, NR doesn't kick in until 800 and if you are in low light noise happens in 400. :biggrin: dare I show you my PB and J?:biggrin:

A good way to get rid of noise is to do a surface blur in the seperate channels. It removes the noise in the BG but keeps the subject decently sharp. I can't remember where I saw it, it was probably on Radiant Vista but you select the channel then do a surface blur. Use the slider so that the noise is reduced but don't go to far as to blur the subject. Do that for all three channels. If there is too much blur in the subject then use the history brush to bring back the sharpness.

It doesn't work on all images, but it's quick and easy if you make it an action.

10. One more vote for Neat Image but I know very little and have nothing to compare it to other than not using it.

11. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I got NoiseWare for $50 , I love it. I shoot a lot at ISO 400 and sometimes indoors, so I sometimes want to have smoother shades/shadows, especially on babies/kids so their skin looks as smooth as I remembered them.

12. Nik Define 2..it's the Best I have used.

13. I've had luck with Neat Image also. Just don't take the defaults. The "advanced" feature is pretty interesting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.