Noise

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by simonramsden, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Hi

Probably been mentioned elswhere, but my initial search didn't turn up anything.

Ken Rockwell has a new article on his web site regarding noise. Near the end of the article he makes this statement :

"The NR inside cameras tends to be worse than the NR one can get in PhotoShop with good plug ins like Grain Surgery"

I use Neat Image - but thats just my preference. Anyway his comment would seem to suggest turning off noise reduction in the camera and only doing it in post processing. I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that NR on long exposures was handled better by the in camera filters.

Aside from the reduction in save time on the camera, is there any real advantage in following his suggestion ?

His article can be found at :

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/noise.htm

2. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I personnely think that noise reduction is very much down to the person looking at the picture. Ken always makes broad statements like these on his site.

If you shoot RAW then its not a problem anyway becuase in NC you can just turn it off.

But to be sure shoot 2 images one with it turned on and one with it turned off, then do some comparisions, it laso very much depends on the subject.

I use Noise Ninja, but i also own Neat Image.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The Nikon in-cam NR is a tad too aggressive for my tastes. What I've been doing is setting the Hi ISO in-cam NR at Normal, then going into NC & selecting "Quality" vs the default "Normal", then turning the amt down considerably, by at least 1/2.

4. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Thanks Steve i`ll give that a try,