1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

noise

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gary7770, Jun 19, 2007.

1. which nikon body is the 'best' at high ISO?

thanks
    gary

2. Oh boy ............... let the battle begin! :112:

My vote is the D50. :tongue:

Oppppssss, do you consider the Fuji S3 a Nikon body? It is after all. If so, then it has a small jump on the D50 if used properly. "Properly" means pushing the exposure to take advantage of the 'second' tier of pixels.

3. I think someone just opened up a can of worms here, or maybe started beating a dead horse again :) 

Fair questions but there are going to be a wide range of answers, some will say the Fuji S3 or S5, others will say D50 or D80 even...it also comes down to what you find as tolerable IMHO, I am happy with the performance I get out of my D200 at low light events, even if I don't have "pro" speed glass...yet!

4. Other than the Fuji S5 which is a Nikon "body". :cool: 

There was a test of several Nikon bodies, but I can't seem to find it. :confused: 

5. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    The 3 Nikon bodies that I've owned that were best with high iso/low noise were the D40, D2HS and D50.
    Subjectively, the D40 seemed the best to me. I believe that DPR tests show the D40x to be just a tiny bit better than the D40.
    So, perhaps the D40X is king.

Edit: Got my facts backwards. The D40 is slightly less noisy than the D40X. Fractional difference if DPR testings is to be believed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  6. Just trying to figure out what I need to do right now. I have some figure skating events coming up and while I have decent glass, I don't find the D70 or D2x to be acceptable at 1600. So my decision right now is do I go with a 2.0 lens (200mm $4k :eek:  ) or will a different body help me with the glass that I have.

Thanks,
    Gary

7. I bought the Fuji S5 Pro about five weeks ago and couldn't be happier.
    ISO 1600 shots are outstanding and skin tones are dead on.

Other things you may want to consider are its' wide dynamic range and ability to nail white balance in auto
    With the D200 many times I have to use ex comp +0.3 or adjust exposure in PP. I also manually set WB in difficult lighting
    With the S5 I do very little PP, almost always use AWB, and I quit shooting RAW. With Jpeg straight from the camera there is no need for RAW because they are that good.

8. I agree with Greg, I two love the images out my S5. But shooting speed is much lower than my D200. So I find they make a good team.

Here is a quick test I did for high ISO what I first got my S5 and a dynamic range test I did just the other day.

D200 ISO 1600
    [​IMG]

S5 ISO 1600
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    David,

The S5 ISO 1600 shot seems to lack the detail present in the D200 shot (e.g., edges of fabric and the stray strand on the black/gray piece). Have you noticed a tradeoff in that regard?

10. Maybe a little, but that was a hand held shot at f1.4 in my office (those are just somoe kids pants that have to go on ebay or get donated).

Here is a little better one, still handheld although at f4.
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.