1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Noisy disk drive

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Pa, Aug 12, 2008.

1. What level of noise is indicative of a failing disk drive?

I recently added a 750GB WD drive to my Dell XPS410, and I'm not sure if the noise is coming from it or from the original 500GB system drive. The noise is not constant - sometimes I don't notice it for a few hours. But then it comes back. It is sort of a periodic or pulsating whirring sound with about a 2-second period, lasting for several minutes.

2. Hi Jim,

I had a similar problem with a Dell Dimension 8400, which I traced to periodic high frequency vibrations emanating from the drive enclosure. I applied some high density rubber strips to the offending areas and, poof, problem gone. Might be worth a look.

3. I'd back it up to be safe.

4. Well, that's a comforting thought. However, my computer sits on a fairly thick carpet, so rubber mounts probably wouldn't help.

I don't hear the noise at the moment, but when I hear it next I will put some more weight on the top to see if that helps.

I do have all my personal files backed up, but not the OS or programs. Is there software that will mirror the system drive on a second disk?

5. Yes, there are tons. I'm using a Mac, but you can google a search for backup software. I'm certain several folks will respond here and steer you right. If the OS/programs drive crashes you're going to have to re-install and reconfigure everything and possibly encounter hassles with the software vendors for reinstalling. Of course if your data/images go you can never get anything back, but if the OS drive crashes it could take days re-installing.

6. All of my personal files are backed up by Carbonite, but they don't back up programs or system files. I do have a spare 750 GB drive which I could use for a mirror of the main drive. It is currently used simply as a redundant backup of my personal files.

7. Takeda

Takeda

Jun 9, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I use a program called EZ Gig II, from Apricorn. I used to use a program from Symantec called Ghost, but it couldn't handle multiple partitions very well.

8. Jim, I don't think carpet would help for the noise problem I found. You would need to pull the case and do some probing with the high-tech device I used (#2 pencil) to locate the source of the vibration/whirring sound. Of course this method will not resolve an imminent drive failure. :tongue: :eek:  :biggrin:

9. I never like the sound of noticing a harddrive, I have been extremely cautious over the years and never had a crash partly becausue I switch them out as soon as I suspect it.

Two suggestions for software:

For complete hardisk mirroring: Acronis makes a super program

If you dont have any OS on the drive just images I use Microsofts Synctoy, it is so easy to use and just does the files. http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/synctoybeta.aspx

10. Thanks, Andreas. After reading up on Acronis® True Image 11 Home I'm about sold it on it. Has anyone had a bad experience with it?

11. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    My WD Raptor 150g started making the whining noise yesterday.
    I am on my laptop now...

12. Now that it is mentioned I recall that I also used Acronis when I had PCs.

13. Acronis is backing up my main drive at the moment.

14. Good man!

Another tip: for images I now use Western Digital external drives. They come in large capacities (1-2TB!)and the larger ones have two disks built in, and you can easily configure them to Raid 1 = writes to both disks at the same time.

So you have automatic backup the moment you write to the drives, they where about $350 at Costco last time I saw them abut two months ago.

Hard to beat I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  15. I think you meant "Good man", but I get the point. Yes, I am using a WD 750GB external (USB) drive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.