Noisy Neighbor

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by BillM, Jul 1, 2008.

1. 323484876_xV5Ms-X3.jpg

D300 70-300 VR 300mm 1/250 f/8 Cropped

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Hovercraft are so cool!!!

3. They are amazing!

It's just that my wife does not like it when they head out at 2230 and come back in at 0200!

If the wind is out of the West, the noise is not so bad, but if it is about 3-5 out of the East or North East, it can sound like they are in our driveway when they come in during the middle of the night.

4. LOL, I thought I recognized that hover! Nice capture! Da nephew is stationed in Norfolk.

5. Tom Larsen

Tom Larsen

Jan 18, 2008
    Denmark
    From the same neighborhood

Hi Bill,

We are almost neighbors, I shot a bunch of pictures off East Beach at Sail Virginia last summer. All of a sudden this thing comes through the field of anchored tall ships. This was taken with my old D80 and 18-200VR:

[​IMG]

Here is a tight crop:

[​IMG]

These were taken in the first week I had the D80, and I was still very much scaling the learning curve. The haze and humidity did not help.

6. Hi Neighbor!

Hi Tom!

There are some interesting craft the Navy is working on these days. We see that guy once in a while coming in and out of the inlet.

Here are some with a point and shoot that I took of what we call the "Spider" boat.

325884340_XE7hR-X2.jpg

And defining the term "Shoal Draft"

325884413_fwpQc-X2.jpg

7. Hi Dianne!

You must be proud of your nephew.

I spent 20 years in the Navy and a bit of noise or ship activity just seems normal to me.

8. Hiya Bill! You bet I'm a PROUD NAVY AUNT! On top of his normal duties onboard the USS MCFaul, he's a photographer doing PR for the Navy. And I'll let you guess as to who helped get him started! :cool: I could write a book about my nephew and the things we've done together, now I'm just proud when he calls me from various places to say "HI" and talk photography. I love the Navy, Marines, Army, U S Air Force, Coast Guard, EVERYONE that serves and protects our beautiful country - our freedom was BOUGHT, not given. Okay, I'll shut up now! :redface:

9. I flew into there in April on my way to Williamsburg. Didn't get to spend much time in Norfolk expect at the airport when my flight out didn't make it in and I played the bouncing airline game. Looks like a nice area. Maybe next year when I go back I can spend a day or two there.

Interesting shots. I was always interested in Navy ships but ended up in the Army.