Critique Nomade sculpture

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
As a thunderstorm bore down on us, we stopped for a quick look at the Pappajohn Sculpture Park in Des Moines, Iowa. Skies were grey, winds were picking up and light rain was starting. Still managed a couple of quick shots.

I know some do not like frames, but B&W images just seem, to my eye, look better with a bit of framing. Here, the white does the trick and the frame defines the space for those with white background display schemes..... Hopefully the images "work" with or without the frames.

_85A9184_A-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_85A9185-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These are great b&w's, Karen!
I also like the cloudy sky as a back drop in #1. The view in #2 is a remarkable effect.

At first glance, I preferred the first image. After giving both images the time they deserve, I especially like the second image because it makes me study it to realize and appreciate the details of what I'm viewing.

As for the frames, the standard way of framing a physical image is to either use a mat that has the same dimension on all sides or to use one that has the same dimension on the top and sides and with a slightly larger dimension on the bottom. In your second photo, your choice to use a significantly larger dimension on the sides than on the top and bottom doesn't add anything to the presentation for me and is a distraction mostly because it's not what I'm used to seeing.

Very nice set. The framing will help you see what you would get if you were to print and frame them. Have you considered changing the aspect ratio to square? That could be interesting.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom