Non-AI lens

I bought a 35mm non AI F2 today.

Maybe I misunderstood because this is my first non ai but I thought I could mount this on my D700. When trying it will go on but not safely. the little black thing on the camera that slides with the lens when mounted hits the bottom of the lens and causes friction. It also does not allow the aperture ring to work well.

Am I trying to get a lens on that shouldnt go on or is something wrong with the lens mount?

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
It's my understanding that you cannot use a non-AI lens on that body. If you currently have the non AI on the D700, be very, very careful with trying to remove it, and don't put it back on, as again, from what I understand, you could really do damage to your camera.

Non-AI lenses will not mount safely on D700, or any camera that has been designed to provide exposure metering with AI lenses. It is either-or. Forcing the lens in will damage the black AI coupling tab.

Non-AI lenses can safely be mounted on D40, D50 etc lower-end bodies, since those cameras lack the AI coupling tab. These cameras will not meter with either AI or Non-AI lenses.

thanks, I guess I am lucky I don't think anything broke. I did put it on and it did take pics, but it was obviously not a good fit.
I thought any nikon lens could work on the D700. I just wasted 70$

thanks, I guess I am lucky I don't think anything broke. I did put it on and it did take pics, but it was obviously not a good fit.
I thought any nikon lens could work on the D700. I just wasted 70$

If you do macro, you can use that lens reversed. Reversal rings and macro coupling rings cost only a few dollars, and the lens yields quite a nice magnification. I regularly use Non-AI and Non-Nikkor lenses reversed.

Everything that's been manufactured after 1977 (AI, AI-s, AF, AF-S) will work nicely with your camera. Older than that, nope.

The last camera that could manage both AI and Non-AI lenses was F4, if I remember correctly (released 1988). With F4 you could retract the AI coupling tab and so prevent it from damage.

so the whole problem is that small black tab sticking out from the camera mount? Is there a way to mod the non ai lens to get around this issue?

Im just sad, this non ai 35mm is in real nice shape and I thought it fit in my kit well. The couple pics I did take I was happily surprised with color and sharpness

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You may have broken the tab off the camera. Here is a photo showing how it should look. (This photo is from a D300 but it is the same.)

D300%20tab%20on%20lens%20mount.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
so the whole problem is that small black tab sticking out from the camera mount? Is there a way to mod the non ai lens to get around this issue?

Im just sad, this non ai 35mm is in real nice shape and I thought it fit in my kit well. The couple pics I did take I was happily surprised with color and sharpness

Yes, there are people who can do it for you. A search should find it. Look for AI conversion.
See here:
http://www.aiconversions.com/

Nikon used to sell AI-modification kits, but they quit that 15 years ago.

Several people around the world do the AI modification at something like $30 to $50 plus shipping. The operation requires removing some metal from the lens.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-107.html

Older cameras had AI tabs made of steel (F2, F3, F4 etc.). so they were not broken very easily. Older cameras also had a pin to turn the AI tab up so you could mount non-ai lenses too. Of course all this is too expensive to manufacture nowdays, so an unmovable plastic tabs are all you get :D

I think I am going to try it myself. I also could find someone to do it for likely a dollar or 2 here in peru. I would just take them the part and tell them what I want cut out.

I never took a lens apart. If I want to take that piece off is this just removing a few screws or do I need to really pull things apart?

Send it to John White.

After this look for lenses with a step in the aperture ring so that the lens clears the tab.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I think I am going to try it myself. I also could find someone to do it for likely a dollar or 2 here in peru. I would just take them the part and tell them what I want cut out.

I never took a lens apart. If I want to take that piece off is this just removing a few screws or do I need to really pull things apart?

Forget trying to do it yourself. It needs more than butchery. The aperture ring needs to engage with the tab on the rotating ring (as shown in the photo I posted), in the correct rotational position. Otherwise the camera doesn't know what position the aperture ring is in, and your metering won't work correctly.

Use the conversion service I gave the link to earlier.

I know its the smart thing to do, but I live in Peru. Shipping to the states, cost of modding in states and then shipping it back with likely taxes put on at entry and I might as well buy the new AF 35 F2

Or if you have any interest in shooting film you can use this as an excuse to buy another body. Non-AI can be mounted on the F4, FM, F, F2 and all the old nikkormats.

Up way too late and decided to take a crack at it. I found a walk through online just using a file. I had one so gave it a shot. It appears I was successful. camera reads each fstop without issue and it mounts without resistance and seems to meter properly. MF indicator seems accurate.
I made my measurement cuts with a small hacksaw and then filed the area in the middle. Its not pretty but it works. The metal went down easily with the file and did not take much time or effort. The hardest part for me was getting the ring out that holds the aperture ring down. I think there is a tool made for this but I had to use scissors

5835708938_a9b4761237_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Excellent work. Not pretty but functional, that's the point! Enjoy your "new" lens and post some pictures.

Latest threads

Top Bottom