1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Non CPU Lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Mr. Graceful, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Yesterday I went for a walk with only AIS lenses. I kept forgetting to change the lens data in the menu for non CPU lenses. As a result, my exposures were all off and the the EXIF data reflects the wrong lens and f-stops.

UGH!

2. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    What body do you have? I have someAIS lenses...it seems logical that I could enter some type of data and get TTL metering but I don't know how...actually, I thought it was not possible. I have a D90.

3. :Francis:

:Francis:

Nov 30, 2008
    Norway
    Did it not ring a bell when all your exposures were off?

4. D700. The d90 will not meter with non CPU lenses. The D300 and above will. In the Set Up Menu, under Non CPU Lenses, you enter the focal length and minimum f-stop. You then have to remember to select that lens in the menu when you mount it.

5. Nope. I just figured I was seeing the light improperly and dialed in EV. Pretty dumb, huh?

6. Rich don't feel bad, I have done that more often then I'd like to admit. Is there a way of editing the EXIF data?

7. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Even monkeys fall out of tree's.:tongue:

It's a pain to set my Nikkor AIS glass data into the D3. But I generally remember. Why they only have room for 9 lenses at a time makes about as much sense as not being about to set my Nkkor 300 2.0 with a 1.4 at 420mm. It goes from 300, 360 400 500 ? It's funny they have so much other stuff on the camera which I never use(AF) It would be nice to be able to program the real focal length in. However the good part is when Im in Aperture priority having the wrong setting dosnt seem to make much difference in exposer.

8. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    Im going to sound like a complete noob here but what is the difference between ais and cpu? I dont really look into lenses much i cant afford them.

9. D200 will as well.

10. CPU lens has contacts on the lens mount which tell the body what lens is mounted. AIS is an older lens from manual focus days.

11. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    ah ok thanks.

12. Adkid

Adkid

Jan 3, 2009
    Portland
    So what do you do if you have a zoom ais lens? How do you program the focal length into the camera?

13. c6530

c6530

Aug 15, 2008
    Norway
    When the zoom position has been changed you have to enter the new focal length (and aperture) in the menu. I would think it makes it very tedious to use these lenses for anything other than very static shooting.

14. :Francis:

:Francis:

Nov 30, 2008
    Norway
    I think the general consensus is that you enter the most used focal length of the zoom range and leave it there.

Francis

15. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I only have one non-cpu zoom
    I just picked a focal length in the middle

its much more relevant to set the correct F-stop than mm

16. Yup, I could edit the EXIF data. If I knew what it was! I wasn't paying attention. Poor discipline, but there you have it. There are a few shots I remember which lens I used and could probably figure out the correct f-stop, but I might just take my licks on this one and move on.

17. Max Power

Max Power

Jan 11, 2009
    St Paul, MN
    I set up my DOF Preview button to be the menu for my old lenses. Hard to forget that way, for me at least.

18. Csquare4

Csquare4

Sep 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Problem with the D200 is you have to enter each lens individually as you use it. There is no "look-up" table that you can store your most used lenses. Kind of a pain in the old booty, but better than nothing.

Craig

19. In the earlier cameras(D2, etc) they had a spot in the menu for every listed focal length. The limitation to 9 was moronic and unwarranted. -KB-

20. Why don't you assign the Non-cpu list to the Fn button. Then you can have 9 choices ready to set with only the Fn button plus turning the command dial...very fast to change the selected lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.