Non CPU Lenses

Yesterday I went for a walk with only AIS lenses. I kept forgetting to change the lens data in the menu for non CPU lenses. As a result, my exposures were all off and the the EXIF data reflects the wrong lens and f-stops.

UGH!

What body do you have? I have someAIS lenses...it seems logical that I could enter some type of data and get TTL metering but I don't know how...actually, I thought it was not possible. I have a D90.

What body do you have? I have someAIS lenses...it seems logical that I could enter some type of data and get TTL metering but I don't know how...actually, I thought it was not possible. I have a D90.

D700. The d90 will not meter with non CPU lenses. The D300 and above will. In the Set Up Menu, under Non CPU Lenses, you enter the focal length and minimum f-stop. You then have to remember to select that lens in the menu when you mount it.

Even monkeys fall out of tree's.:tongue:

It's a pain to set my Nikkor AIS glass data into the D3. But I generally remember. Why they only have room for 9 lenses at a time makes about as much sense as not being about to set my Nkkor 300 2.0 with a 1.4 at 420mm. It goes from 300, 360 400 500 ? It's funny they have so much other stuff on the camera which I never use(AF) It would be nice to be able to program the real focal length in. However the good part is when Im in Aperture priority having the wrong setting dosnt seem to make much difference in exposer.

Im going to sound like a complete noob here but what is the difference between ais and cpu? I dont really look into lenses much i cant afford them.

Real Name
Rodney
D700. The d90 will not meter with non CPU lenses. The D300 and above will. In the Set Up Menu, under Non CPU Lenses, you enter the focal length and minimum f-stop. You then have to remember to select that lens in the menu when you mount it.

D200 will as well.

Real Name
Rodney
Im going to sound like a complete noob here but what is the difference between ais and cpu? I dont really look into lenses much i cant afford them.

CPU lens has contacts on the lens mount which tell the body what lens is mounted. AIS is an older lens from manual focus days.

So what do you do if you have a zoom ais lens? How do you program the focal length into the camera?

When the zoom position has been changed you have to enter the new focal length (and aperture) in the menu. I would think it makes it very tedious to use these lenses for anything other than very static shooting.

I think the general consensus is that you enter the most used focal length of the zoom range and leave it there.

Francis

I only have one non-cpu zoom
I just picked a focal length in the middle

its much more relevant to set the correct F-stop than mm

Rich don't feel bad, I have done that more often then I'd like to admit. Is there a way of editing the EXIF data?

Yup, I could edit the EXIF data. If I knew what it was! I wasn't paying attention. Poor discipline, but there you have it. There are a few shots I remember which lens I used and could probably figure out the correct f-stop, but I might just take my licks on this one and move on.

Even monkeys fall out of tree's.:tongue:

It's a pain to set my Nikkor AIS glass data into the D3. But I generally remember. Why they only have room for 9 lenses at a time makes about as much sense as not being about to set my Nkkor 300 2.0 with a 1.4 at 420mm. It goes from 300, 360 400 500 ? It's funny they have so much other stuff on the camera which I never use(AF) It would be nice to be able to program the real focal length in. However the good part is when Im in Aperture priority having the wrong setting dosnt seem to make much difference in exposer.
In the earlier cameras(D2, etc) they had a spot in the menu for every listed focal length. The limitation to 9 was moronic and unwarranted. -KB-

Why don't you assign the Non-cpu list to the Fn button. Then you can have 9 choices ready to set with only the Fn button plus turning the command dial...very fast to change the selected lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom